Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New beacon Ortovox 3+ VS Tracker 2
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:20 pm 

So I have been looking to get a new beacon this winter. I have been using an Ortovox X1 for many years now and feel like its time for an upgrade, especially after what this guy says about the X1: http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/S ... Ortovox_X1

So I have been looking to get the new Ortovox 3+ or the Tracker 2 which is out for it's second yr (I think).

The Tracker 2 seems like it will be a tried and true especially after the success and usability of the original tracker.

The Ortovox looks nice as well and after playing w/ it @ REI seems like it is just as user friendly w/ the addition of better spike ratings and multi-burial scenario usability/flagging/masking. Another cool feature is that it runs on a single AAA battery.

So it may be obvious that I am partial to the 3+ but I am skeptical especially since my original X1 gets such awful reviews and that it’s brand new this yr.

What are all of you splitrippers using and what do you all think about these two.

thanks for your thoughts and price doesn't matter a whole lot since both are currently discounted.

Post subject: Re: New beacon Ortovox 3+ VS Tracker 2
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:57 pm 

I have no experience with the Otrovox.
ibisbiking wrote:
The Tracker 2 seems like it will be a tried and true especially after the success and usability of the original tracker.

I picked up the Tracker2 towards the end of last season. I took it out on a handful of trips and was really happy with it. It's smaller, lighter, faster and has better range than the original tracker. Then, I went out for my first trip this season a few weeks ago. We were at the trailhead and we did a quick transceiver test, I wasn't picking anything up, I had to get within a foot of a transmitting beacon to pick up a signal. Had to drive back into town and pick up a rental at a mountaineering store. The folks at the store tested it as well and came to the same conclusion, it was jacked.
I exchanged for a new one but am still apprehensive, hopefully it won't fail again, I'll need to keep a close eye on it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:26 pm 

Get the Tracker 2, this is the fastest beacon on the market. Speed of recovery is the critical factor, no other beacon can help you find a victim faster.
I am not all that concerned with multiple burial scenarios, as these are going to be a big problem no matter what beacons are in use-better to avoid multiple burials by only exposing one person at a time to dangerous slopes.
I also do not like beacons with LCD displays, these are almost unreadable in bright sunlight, the Tracker uses a very bright LED display which is easily legible on even the brightest day.
Practice, practice, practice. Make sure you can find a buried beacon in 3 minutes or less-remember, practice until the process is intuitive, and check your beacon at home the night before you go out.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:06 am 

Well,

My new Ortovox 3 is shipping as we speak, so in the next two weeks I can give you a review.

With the exception of super complicated beacons, I have a hard time believing the tracker 2 will help you find anyone faster then any other well conceived multi antennae beacon, with which the user has knowledge of it's use.
The LCD most definitely has that dayglow-type backlight, and it switches on as soon as you're in search mode..so I doubt viewing it is a problem.

I did read this about the tracker 2:

" (Note that BCA increased the recommended search strip width of the Tracker DTS, from 20 meters to 40 meters, during 2010. The 2010/11 Tracker DTS user manual mentions both 20 and 40 meters, but the manufacture has informed me that they now consider the recommended width to be 40 Meters)" So I'm even more skeptical that with double the width of the search strip you can claim it's any faster.

The review also mentioned the Tracker2 had the most limited range of all the beacons they reviewed.

I'm not badmouthing the tracker 2, hell, If I ever got buried there's a good chance I'd be relying on one (that a touring partner owns) to save my life, but in the end. Theses things can be differentiated by few "important" criteria: digital or analog, single or multi antennae, search range and whether or not it also can indicate direction (again..multi vs. single). If you can use your beacon well, it matters not if another beacon got a better "ease of use" rating. If you're buying a beacon to use as a "share" beacon, ease of use might be a bit more important..but if it's for you..I KNOW you'll know how to use it intimately before setting off into avi terrain.

I've used an F1 for my whole "career" in the BC, and the idea of moving from a single antennae and no longer having to mess with the orientation and tracking flux lines is pretty appealing to me. Both these beacons solve that problem.

For me the decider was this: REI has the 3 on sale right now: http://www.rei.com/product/807471, that it only takes ONE battery, and is more compact and lighter.

I think you'd be fine with either....as always: just know how to use it!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:01 am 

jbaysurfer wrote:
I did read this about the tracker 2

JBay, do you happen to have a link to that?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:04 pm 

Another consideration with The Trackers are closely buried transceivers in a multi-burial situation. During a Level II Avalanche Class many users of Trackers had issues undoing the mute/masking function correctly (equivalent of flagging on the Ortovox) in close proximity multiple burial scenarios (several had to restart their transceivers). This issue was also discussed by the instructors in the debriefing for the class as being a known issue with the Trackers. I am not sure if their latest and greatest overcomes this.

Every transceiver these days has its quirks. My S1 take 10-15 seconds to start-up, but then scene-view has advantages.

Rain and freezing rain in AK this week. Hopefully the weather will turn around by the weekend for some riding.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:02 pm 

nwkayaker wrote:
Rain and freezing rain in AK this week. Hopefully the weather will turn around by the weekend for some riding.

Nice eh? We'll see what opening is like at Aly. Not to mention what the b/c base layer turns to.
And it started so good...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:13 pm 

I bought my Pieps DSP a couple of years ago. It's a pretty damn good beacon, but probably not worth the extra $$$ now. There are so many options for 3 antenna beacons at or around the $300 price range. Back then they were closer to the $450-500 for a good 3 Antenna.

There's also the Arva 3 Axes which is about the same price.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:20 pm 

wavy wrote:
jbaysurfer wrote:
I did read this about the tracker 2

JBay, do you happen to have a link to that?

Thanks!

Man, I am still torn though I am still leaning towards the 3+.

the reviews that you're looking for are here
http://www.wildsnow.com/2349/backcountr ... on-review/
and here:
http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/S ... acker2.asp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:01 pm 

Reading this made me sick to my stomach:

"Every transceiver these days has its quirks. My S1 take 10-15 seconds to start-up, but then scene-view has advantages."

I hope your partners are aware of this fault. 10 seconds is certainly enough to be the difference between life and death.

The two most important factors for beacons are simplicity (including ease of interpreting/reading the display) and speed. With digital beacons speed is all about how fast the beacon updates. The Tracker 2 is the fastest beacon to use in a typical, single burial, search. It is so fast one can run toward the victim until it is time to do a fine search. I am very skeptical of beacons with complex screen displays, as interpreting this kind of thing takes time. I just want to follow an arrow pointing to the victim, and a numerical display that confirms I am getting closer, and I want to be able to interpret the display at a glance in bright sunlight.
I agree that some beacons seem to have better multiple burial functionality than the Tracker 2, but I am not concerned about this at all. Multiple burials should be avoided by proper route selection. Yes, I know it will still happen, but the odds against live recovories in multiple burial situations are so slim, as to make planning for them kind of hopeless (at least for small groups, I generally do not ride with more than 4, guided situations are different). I prefer to be equipped with the beacon that gives me the best chance for a fast recovery of a single buried victim.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:55 pm 

Duder.... listen to Barrows he is 1 million times correct. A fancy LCD that allows you to silence signals for multiple burials doesn't mean diddly poo IMOP. I use the Mammut Barryvox digital w/ analog features. Any guide that has ever had a multiple burial I bet was using a beacon w/ good analog functionality. When I start a grid for multiple burial scenarios 2-3 I use my ears(analog) walking a hasty grid to approximate fall line of each signal. Then I use the digital up until 3-1.5 meters. Then I've set my beacon to go back to analog for pin point.

Technology is great, but relying on a highly technical multiple option program written to a chip leaves too many options to fail.

To add more to this... There was a gal on my Canadian Level 1 with the BCA 1. She kicked everyones asses daily during beacon drills on multiple burials. I had the Burton Red 457 which was made by Barryvox.

Go with the BCA 2, and practice, practice, practice til it becomes second nature.

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:58 am 

I know the pinpoint feature for the 3+ is similar to the S1 which is killer. One of the best out there at getting your probe strike the first time. Tracker has sucked at this. Not sure how the Tracker 2 stacks up, but I'd rather take the 10 seconds on an S1 to get a probe strike the first time.

I am also not sure on what he is referring to on start up. When you flip it into search or when you turn it on. And if ten seconds is going to make that difference than you have really fucked up. You don't know how to use your beacon. I just did some demo tests with an S1 and was pretty impressed with it.

For the money I still think the DSP kills it as a 3 antenna beacon. It searches fast, gets way better range than anyone else, and it's easy to use.

The fact of the matter is whatever beacon you get you still have to practice with it. They will all work and do what they are designed to do.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:21 pm 

I got a Mammut Pulse, in basic mode it is fast and intuitive for me, but all the reviews about the Tracker 2 got me thinking, since I want to buy my girlfriend a new beacon, Tracker 2 may be the go. I am bidding right now for an S1 in Ebay, but will lay off it and consider BCA Tracker 2.

Venture Storm-R 161, Spark R&D Blaze, Burton Driver X boots, ABS Avy 15/30L backpack, Avalung, Mammut Pulse Avy Beacon, BCA carbon probe. Solid board = Burton T6 159 ICS Ferrari Red, Burton C60 EST Bindings