All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

What board should TEX buy?
Poll ended at Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:54 am
161 Voile MojoRX 2011 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
161 Jones Solution 75%  75%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 12
 Post subject: What Board Should TEX buy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:54 am 

Im still on the fence so to speak about which of these two boards to buy. Looking at all the options out there these are MY two choices.

VOILE
Pros

Biggest, made in the USA. Lifetime warranty Comes with hardware. Rockered And...I have ridden it and liked it

Cons

No Magnatraction

Jones
Pros- magnatraction,rocker,comes highly recommended by Jim Zellers

Cons- Made in Tunisia Unproven Ride, durability ,avalibility,sells without hardware,are they avalible yet

Im looking for a board that will hold its edge in steeper hardpack and narrow couloirs. Not too worried about the performance in open bowls and powder

Post subject: Re: What Board Should TEX buy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:00 am 

Dude,

you and I both know which board is gonna win this popularity contest :-)

You know my opinion....!

GL!

One other con to the jones: value I believe it doesn't come with skins right?

Someone set me straight if I'm wrong..I'll edit the post..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:26 am 

is $$$ part of your equation?

from your pros/cons - sounds like it isn't.

question: why the voile in 161....and the jones in 164?

the jones comes in 161, right?

another question: is it safe to say one would be happy with the new rockered 161 mojo rx - if they ride a 159-160 solid at the area...and, if they didn't care for the 166 mojo? i.e. is the rocker going to made the 161 plenty floaty....

thx...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:38 am 

If you want to ride it this season I'd go with the Voile although I bought the Jones myself.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:46 am 

mcaliste wrote:
another question: is it safe to say one would be happy with the new rockered 161 mojo rx - if they ride a 159-160 solid at the area...and, if they didn't care for the 166 mojo? i.e. is the rocker going to made the 161 plenty floaty....

thx...

Yes. I ride a 158 custom x in bounds (well truthfully I rode my splitty in bounds a bunch this year because I like the slack country lines ;-) ) and a 161 MojoRX in the BC. I find it to be "floatier" then the custom x by a long shot. In fact..anyone wanna buy an 09/10 custom x 158 ics with C02 EST bindings?

It's a primo setup...I just like my splitty so much better I'll keep my 07 custom x for the inbounds, hike-a-line days and ride the splitty the rest of the time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:54 am 

Tex, I've never ridden either, but I have a 168 Jones on the way.

Here's a spot to buy one.. I'd get it quick. These are getting snatched up quick.

http://www.tactics.com/jones-snowboards ... d?src=gglb

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:15 am 

Yeah what's up with the 161 v's 164?

what i find strange is that with all of this new technology, the modern day board buyer seems to overlook the sidecut radius, which to me, is possibly the first thing i look at when buying a deck. This (along with flex) should fall into place with your turning style. if you like to open her up, go a big sidecut, if you want tighter turns, go smaller. Now i know that the sidecut isn't as simple as it used to be (due to variable nose, waist and tail shapes) but shouldn't the average that the manufacturers provide get us in the ballpark? I hope so, because this is how i plan on buying a new board without being able to ride one first.

TEX, the voile in a 161 has an 8m radius and the solution has a 9.1m (i can assure you it's not mm). To me this is a big difference. When we were all riding each others boards in Utah last year i remember not digging one of the Burtons i was on because A) it has no pop and B) the sidecut was way too small for me and i felt like i had to fight it from turning at high speed.

any other opinions on this?

The effective edge is another issue and one that you shouldn't overlook (even though the jones site has) as a really small radius may result in lack of traction between the feet on the steeps. with this in mind, i like the solution. actually i'm throwing a vote in for the solution because it seems to be more suited to riding the steeps, which is what you're looking for.

Or better still... you could just go to one of those demo days that they have in the sierra BC all the time, forget the online stats, ride both of them and then choose the winner. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:27 am 

I've owned to Voile's and haven't liked how either of them rode. Although I haven't rode the Rx, I'd buy a Winterstick, Jones, Venture or Prior before I bought another Voile.

Voile's just don't seem like they're built by snowboarders.

PS I think Voile is an awesome company with amazing customer service and pricing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:36 am 

Changed the pole to a Jones 161. Didnt know they made a 161. BG-your point is the biggest one out there. If I buy a Jones, will I get one this season

Holbyco- I have done all of the reasearch you listed. Thats how I went from all splits on the market in 2011 and narrowed it down to these two.

Eco- I would go for a 161 winterstick but I dont think they have rocker or magnatraction

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:08 pm 

Quote:
Im looking for a board that will hold its edge in steeper hardpack and narrow couloirs

Seems like you answered your own question. If you want to hold an edge on hardpack-that's what magnatraction does.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:33 pm 

Quote:
Or better still... you could just go to one of those demo days that they have in the sierra BC all the time, forget the online stats, ride both of them and then choose the winner.

No shit Glen. Wouldnt be nice to have them all laid out on top of a steep run?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:54 pm 

Between the two, I'd probably go with the Solution. The magne on the board is very relaxed. Which I like, because the original Magne cut kind of sucks, way too hooky. I rode the Flagship and really liked the magne cut on it. The Solution looks to be about the same. I would have taken it out but I didn't bring my Fuse's and the binders on it were too small for my boot. Lesson learned for next year.

Bonus that the Solution is sandwich construction and not Cap too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:47 pm 

TEX wrote:
I would go for a 161 winterstick but I dont think they have rocker or magnatraction

I seem to remember hearing that it will have rocker, no magnatraction though. But neither does the Voile.