Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Canuck Splitfest presented by Prior
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:20 pm 

Wondering if anybody wants to do some recon work before the fest.Short notice but i got the next week off except sun, touring at the toll booth.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:49 am 

i'd like to make it out for a recon trip but i'm out in ontario and then got a super cheap place up at big white for new years with some friends...i would proably head up the following weekend though if you are interested? that is if jones snowboards actually gets my new deck to revi by next weekend?????? i'm currently splitless until it arrives which is really starting to get old fast!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:58 pm 

what happend to the prior splitty?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:07 pm 

Hey brett. don't be worried too much about being splitless, the snowpack is abit touchy right now so its mellow and gettin the laps in. Just don't let it go too long lol.
On the 9th alan from union is going to have a group going out over by east peak and am going to tag along.
Not sure what your plans are for the fest but bringing a friend along who is new.going to see how he fares at split skiing on the 9th and see where his ability sits.He's strong but the skintrack out at the fest might be a good photo op :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:42 pm 

vapor wrote:
Hey brett. don't be worried too much about being splitless, the snowpack is abit touchy right now so its mellow and gettin the laps in. Just don't let it go too long lol.
On the 9th alan from union is going to have a group going out over by east peak and am going to tag along.
Not sure what your plans are for the fest but bringing a friend along who is new.going to see how he fares at split skiing on the 9th and see where his ability sits.He's strong but the skintrack out at the fest might be a good photo op :wink:

hahahahaha good times like last year.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:44 pm 

sounds good about the 9th...i was thinking that you were heading up to the pass but east peak should be a good tour....i'm crossing my fingers that the new deck arrives by next weekend (sold the prior to get the jones) but you are right that it is still pretty thin up there.....la nina seems to be hammering the coast but we are totally getting the shaft around here....

good point on the ski split skills...i should probably get working on those before we head up....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:08 pm 

Damn. Just found out all the rooms are gone for Friday/Saturday nights.

...er...if anyone has the need for a quiet, non-smoking, early-to-rise roomate who'd be happy sleeping in the shower or on the ironing board, let me know. I'm a long-ways over sleeping in a rental car.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:13 pm 

singlewhitecaveman wrote:
Damn. Just found out all the rooms are gone for Friday/Saturday nights.

...er...if anyone has the need for a quiet, non-smoking, early-to-rise roomate who'd be happy sleeping in the shower or on the ironing board, let me know. I'm a long-ways over sleeping in a rental car.

For those looking for something other than a rental car, or shower or ironing board....

http://www.hotels.ca/ says these have room available for Friday and Saturday nights.

Golden, BC
Travelodge
Ramada Limited Golden
Sportsman Lodge

Revelstoke, BC
Sandman Inn
SUPER 8

Note that both Golden and Revelstoke are about 45 minutes from Rogers Pass and can result in delays due to highway closure/delays for avalanche control work.

Golden looks to have the cheaper rooms by about $25 to $30/night.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:53 pm 

I was up Grizzly shoulder on Saturday. Conditions were good. A littel more snow and it'll be all perfect

www.adventurelogistics.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:59 pm 

An important update on camping. With the construction to the Rogers Pass info center this season, they are no longer "turning a blind eye" to enclosed camping in that parking lot.

If you intend on camping in a "self contained unit" (RV, 5th wheel, truck bed camper, minivan, rental car, etc.) you can only do so at the Asulkan/Illecillewaet parking lot. This is a couple km down the road from the hotel/info center and is also the trail head for the Asulkan and Wheeler huts.

The hotel parking lot is also covered under this same restriction.

If you intend on camping in an "non self-contained unit" (tent, igloo, snow cave, etc.) you should probably think about getting a hotel or sleeping in a vehicle. It is permitted, but you must be within a non-restricted area and at least 1km away from any structures. The kind folks at the Info Center (250-837-3944) can assist with suggesting a suitable location.

On another note, Voile will be shipping out their prize package soon, which includes a 161 Mojo RX/Light Rail splitboard binding package.

http://voile-usa.blogspot.com/2011/01/c ... anada.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:06 am 

I just stumbled across this splitboard sport all of a few hours ago and I'm already stoked to try it out and I definitely plan on making it out to the Canuck Splitfest. :clap:

I'm looking to drive out on the Friday and come back on the Sunday or Monday (haven't decided yet). I have room for 2 others plus equipment. I'll be leaving from Calgary and since I'm coming late to the game, I'll probably be staying at: http://www.cariboumountainadventures.ca/.

If this works for anyone, let me know and we can do the trek down and save dough.

After reading this thread, I'm glad to hear there will be a a variety of skill levels. I've been snowboarding for a number of years but my cross country skiing is pretty novice (only been out a few times) and I'll be taking my AST 1 this weekend.

Anyways this looks like a great opportunity to meet some cool people and rocking a new sport. I can't wait!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:54 pm 

Hey,

So I am assuming that I can show up and there will be people to ride with?

I have about 4 years of snowboarding, but this will be my first year in true backcountry(in the winter anyways). I have the stuff, and have been out a few times with snowshoes only, just got a split. Also did an avy awareness course in Whistler backcountry. Just wanting to slowly get my feet wet in the BC, seems like this would be a good opportunity to learn some stuff and ride.

I pretty much refuse to pay 95 plus tax to ride Whistler when there is so much nice wilderness around here, and I like the hiking anyways, even with snowshoes. Plus Whistler is a bit of a drive.

My "home" turf is and will be the Duffey Lake area. Lots of good stuff there.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:09 am 

Ok so this will be my first time at an event like this as well, so I got a few newbie questions too:

-What is the Agenda for each day?

-Is there anything going on Friday night/ what time should I shoot to arrive for? I read earlier that we there maybe a chance of having a Winter Permit Orientation Session on the Friday evening, did this progress into anything?

-I have a regular board and equipment, plus the snowshoe setup (though I have yet to combine the two for back country boarding). I understand there will be demo opportunities but is that something I should rely on for the daily activities or should I look at renting a set?

-Besides the park pass, is there any other legal requirements or recommendations to go splitboarding? (I will be getting my AST 1 this weekend)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 18  Next