Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Canuck Splitfest presented by Prior
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:10 am 

Hey guys, here is a few of the pics I snapped with my iphone.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:16 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:19 am 

I had a great time and would like to thank Wade and all of the sponsors for showing there support.

If you like shaky, badly edited, look at me footage then this video will be the ticket.

Filming was almost impossible with every face shot blocking the lense !

I hope everyone liked my super fast slide show presentation, I had a great time doing it!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:35 am 

jerrett wrote:

Favorite pic so far!! Just buried :headbang: by the pow!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:43 am 

Kyle Miller wrote:
I had a great time and would like to thank Wade and all of the sponsors for showing there support.

If you like shaky, badly edited, look at me footage then this video will be the ticket.

Filming was almost impossible with every face shot blocking the lense !

I hope everyone liked my super fast slide show presentation, I had a great time doing it!

Seeing that pow is making me wish I was still there! The first scene where you are doing a face shot, where was that? Grizzly Shoulder or McGill?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:47 am 

I feel the same way. All of the footage is from the McGill area!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:07 pm 

Somehow I only managed to take three pictures all weekend. Too busy shredding I guess.

This one is mrash and Kyle Miller (who's stoked he decided to change over a bit further away from the tree well)

Found these on youtube - they're not mine, but figured I'd share...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:09 pm 

Mac wrote:

Favorite pic so far!! Just buried :headbang: by the pow!!

Here is another similar one :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:35 am 

Here are some of the pics that I snapped over the weekend....thanks again for organizing the event Wade! It was great to finally put a face to a nickname and a name to a nickname. Thanks to Dean at Prior for hooking me up with a AMF 162 on Saturday, to Spark R & D for the one of a kind Canuck Splitfest bindings that I was lucky enough to win, to Union Cycle for hooking me up with a splitboard for the weekend cause I'm still sans board until my Jones Solution arrives, to all of the other sponsors as I was blown away at how much swag was sent up and to Glacier Park Lodge for the accomodations.

Roughly 70-80 splitboarders came up to Roger's Pass for the first annual Canuck Splitfest and it was nothing but incredible to say the least. Avi conditions were pretty insane with some of the largest avalanches seen in over 30 years but the seriousness of the conditions were not under estimated. The main organizer, Wade (Treepilot), did a great job of bringing in Parks Canada and splitboard guide, Greg Johnson, to do a presentation on the conditions and that set the tone for the weekend. Fortunately, there were no incidents whatsoever which was great to hear! With chest deep pow in the trees everyone had some of their best turns of the season and in some cases, their lives. To say the least...the weekend was incredible! Video to be posted soon!

Glacier Park Lodge - Roger's Pass, BC

The avi awareness presentation before the festival started...

Ray M from the Island....looking up at our destination for the day...

Me, numbernine getting ready for the hike...

The skin track looked like the Trans-Canada...it was super wide and was the best set skin track I've ever been on...

Mt. Cheops staring down at a group of three headed up Grizzly Shoulder....Cheops, we'll meet soon in better conditions...:)

The up really is just as enjoyable as the down with views like this...

And another look at Cheops and a coulior that might be able to be ripped....have to study the topo maps to see how steep that one is but that is pretty much a no fall, no turn, straightline bomber line....insane...but has probably already been done.

Almost to the top of Grizzly Shoulder....we hit this area this weekend because of the sketchy avalanche conditions...in fact, the biggest avi cycle they have seen in 30 years. This face was outside of any slide paths and has a lot of trees which help to limit exposure and stabilize the slope....

Again....the skin track looked like the Trans-Canada there were so many boarders on it....so cool to see nothing but boarders take over an entire mountain...

Some dude chargin in nipple deep pow!....not sure who this was? Hope you like the pic! ha...

Representing with the Canada flag on the backpack...

Did I mention that it was deep?

So much snow...

Isabelle...a new friend that we met at the fest who had a ton of energy and toured more than a lot of the guys...

Isabelle again off in the distance....

Cool dead trees....

Not sure what this peak is but pretty cool....

Apres-ski....Mt. Begbie pints on tap..mmmmmm...tasty!

Day Two - McGill Shoulder - the skin started through a very cool forest....

Maniac Dave making his way up...a new buddy from Lethbridge.

McGill Ridge....we had little bits of clear skies and this was almost at the top of the ridge...

Finally...ha....somebody got a photo of me actually riding...

Standing on top of something like this and looking down is a why the hike is worth it...

Jerrett...another new friend from the Island getting in his turns...

Jessica...a new friend from the island enjoying the deep!

Jessica again...swimming a bit here...ha!

Vapor getting in his turns!

Nice slashin!

Another pic of me in flight....hit a lip just before this that was so sick...I'll throw the video up as sooon as it is edited...

Jerrett catchin some air...

Jerrett, Jessica and John....and you can kinda see Maniac Dave's leg in the background....ha....great day with great people...can't wait to get back!

After the ski out through the sketchy trees the summer trail led back to the Trans-Canada...just short 2 minute walk back to the car and that was the end of the weekend....good times!

Nothin but good times with great people! Can't wait to get back to the pass and hit that shit again. My computer at home is having issues so as soon as I have those sorted out I'll get the POV vids posted. Thanks to Spark R & D yet again...I couldn't believe the difference in touring and riding on the Sparks and the touring brackets.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:17 pm 

Very solid post numbernine! Nicely done :thatrocks:

I can't wait to get out again. I'm already having withdrawals... :cry: Also I'll through this out there if anyone has a 160ish split that needs a new home, please let me know. I'm in the market for my first split.

MacKenzie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:46 pm 

:disco:

Question - Out of 75-80 splitters, what do you think the avg board length was?

Looks like a wonderful time. Hope to join ye all one of these years.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:07 pm 

Quote:

on average...with a rockered nose probably 160-170cm depending on rider size and without a rockered nose and traditional camber throughout the length of the board probably 165cm-180cm....

i rode both a prior amf 162 with rockered tip and tail on saturday and an old school voile split decision 166 fully cambered on sunday....both boards float was pretty much the same in the deep 2-3 ft of fresh but the new prior amf was definitely the more playful board....almost 10 years difference between the boards makes a big difference though....

any new deck that i'm looking at will have a rockered nose at the very least....allows you to shorten up your board a bit which brings down the overall weight for both riding and touring and it still gets the same float...

with snow that deep i honestly wish that i would have grabbed either the prior khyber or spearhead as those shapes are most suited to deep pow like that....it was really cool to see prior bring out some of their prototype boards with carbon fibre topsheets to bring down the weight. dean from prior was saying that they are reducing the weight of the boards by approximately 15-20% which is pretty significant considering your average split is 30% heavier than a solid board.....also, that prior swallowtail pow-stick with carbon fibre topsheet was a thing of beauty.... :drool:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:09 pm 

spruce cabin wrote:
:disco:

Looks like a wonderful time. Hope to join ye all one of these years.

If I was to hazard a guess, most people there were probably riding in the 160-165 range.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next