Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:37 pm 

Personally, I enjoy reading about split adventures, but really could care less in the end whether or not splitting gets coverage. I just like to ride in the mountains, which is something I can do whether or not there are any pros splitting, articles published or videos made. That's not to say that y'all shouldn't try to get coverage if that's what you're after - it's just not my bag. If it happens, it happens....

That being said, I do like creating my own media for the viewing pleasure of friends, but that's about as far as it goes unless someone wants to pay me to go to greenland to split :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:02 pm 

I guess you're right bcrider, splitting is growing, I just got one. :D what I was trying to say though is that according to my “snowboard anthropology experimentâ€Â

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:03 pm 

nomad wrote:
Personally, I enjoy reading about split adventures, but really could care less in the end whether or not splitting gets coverage. I just like to ride in the mountains, which is something I can do whether or not there are any pros splitting, articles published or videos made. That's not to say that y'all shouldn't try to get coverage if that's what you're after - it's just not my bag. If it happens, it happens....

So you are completely content with the current splitboard products? Boards, boots, and bindings?

Part of the reason a lot of us want the sport to grow is so these products improve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:07 pm 

I'm pretty much with you Nomad, except as long as it's just me, you and a couple hundred other folks splitting we'll continue to have just a few boards and no real boot/binding options.

Just think if ONE company dedicated some real time and money to some R&D. Sorry DJ, but there just hasn't been any improvements to the interface or boot binding options in years. I'm not pretending to know the ins and outs of how to run a company such as Voile. Just stating the facts, Jack.

I am pretty confident that if it was me, Nomad, and several thousand spliter we'd have some sweet split specific gear options. As I'm writing this I'm picturing Powderjunkie on top of GPS bowl slamming his board into hard snow to try to get the slider plate onto the pucks. I'm also invisioning 420P with sloppy wet feet.[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:09 pm 

mtnrider wrote:
I just feel that a more established audience for splitting is whom needs to be targeted rather than just getting the exposure in general.

Agreed!

Any ideas on how to attract or establish that specific audience? We're all ears. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:14 am 

Ok, I admit that I do want the products to improve. I'm just saying that whether or not product improvement is accompanied by articles, videos, etc. is irrelevent to me. It may be the case that such a relationship is necessary. In the end, however, I'll have fun regardless of whether or not the equipment is suited to an overhanging ice-climb ascent, two month traverse, 65 degree runnel descent and -60 temperatures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:18 am 

I guess I just didn't realize that the purpose of attracting attention to the sport was for product improvement. Is that the consensus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:23 pm 

That's the only reason I want more coverage. You should see the improvement in mountain bikes in the last 5 years. The bike manuf. are always throwing out new shit. Most doesn't stick but a some does. It wasn't that long ago I was riding what was condisered a extreme bike w/ no rear sus., 50mm of front sus. and cantilever brakes. Now I'm on 5 inches of rear, 130mm up front and disc brakes. Unfucking real improvements. And my new bike only ways a few pounds more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:07 am 

bcrider wrote:
Any ideas on how to attract or establish that specific audience?

Not exactly, but let's first decide on our targeted market. Not that I've been in the game as long as some out there but I think that splitboarding attracts more of the late 20's - mid 40's person. Yes, there are folk outside this demographic but I think it's pretty fair to give an average age of mid 30's male.

Now, regardless of boot/bindings which is a little to personal preference to develop a 1 does it all. what can every splitboarder benefit from?
Light weight, responsiveness, and safer gear for avi conditions...

keep the brainstorm flowing... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:43 am 

Quote:
Light weight, responsiveness, and safer gear for avi conditions...

Let's not forget--ease of transition. To me the transition is the biggest drawback of splitting. Especially when your out with a tele/AT folks. I know the transition will always be a part of splitting but I think we all agree there's room for improvements.

There's nothing like being on top of a windy, snowy peak on all fours w/ numb fingers trying to jam the pin through the slidder track/puck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:41 pm 

Back on topic…

I picked up the new SB Journal over the weekend and I was stoked on it. The eye candy in there is top notch.

Check it out if you can.

The new Frequency mag is out too and supposed to be off the hook.

Can't wait for winter!

ps Nomad, not sure about consensus but that's the main reason I want the sport to grow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:33 am 

contact has been made......... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:59 am 

the doods @ SB Journal are WAY more into the soul rider thing than the TWS/Snowboarder
rail garden bullshit. I would think they'd be up for it if we had some tip top talent both in front of and behind the lens...it's by far my fave mag @ this point just for the photos alone. frequency a close second...