Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:34 am 

dave wrote:
jimbo,
i have not slept with those liners in the feet of my sleeping bag in temperatures below freezing, as of yet.

I'd try it before you knock it...I haven't wore either pair of my boots(K2 Clicker Firebirds/Northwave KJ) wet after camping out yet. I, like Jim, also remove my footbeds and stuff the liners in my bag. I have a small mummy bag and after a little bit, everything settles into place and I don't get a cramped feeling at all. I haven't spent more than 2 nights/3days out in a row camping out so my experiences end there. Other than my foot sweating out, I don't think I've soaked them thru from the outside either, wet yes but soaked ugh-uh. The Firebirds I have seem a little more susceptable to leaking though, they are more cloth material where the KJ's are synthetic leather/pleather of some sorts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:07 am 

It all about the liners guys. :)

Get thermofit liners and you will avoid wet liners in the first place. When the liners do get wet, thermo's will dry much quicker too. They're also much lighter than stock liners.

As for the sleeping bag drying system. It's a proven method for drying items in a wet and cold climate. Your body heat will dry your items. Sleeping bag choice and quality will affect performance. Its important to not dry too much stuff at once otherwise there will be too much moisture in the bag which will freeze and then make you cold.

I like to dry my small items (gloves, socks, etc) in my jacket early in the evening so when sleep time comes I don't have too much stuff in my bag. I also like to put my liners in a stuff sack when they're dry rather than leave them in my bag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:21 am 

Patroller, get some Salomon Malamutes dude. Comfy and stiff. My liners don't really get wet either.

How's your wakeboard season going, getting out much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:34 am 

when drying liners, the sleeping bag works...marginally. a better method for your long trips is to also place a heat packet in your boot. thermodynamics will move the moisture from the warm area (inside) to the cold area (outside). if you'r bag is crowded (socks, down, feet, etc.) you can just place your boots in the the tent or vestibule throw a heater in and go to sleep. in the morning throw another heater in to warm the boots before you put them on, then use the heater on your hands until you have skinned far enough to be warm. also: heed bcrider's thermoliner advice, it's good.

now if you can find me a system that will let me ride my bike in -25f and wear my spd shoes for more than an hour before the metal transmits too much cold to my feet, then your my freakin hero! (actually there are a few methods that will be explored this winter...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:41 pm 

Wakeboarding has been going good. Three traveling trips this summer. Bass lake near yosemite, Big bear lake in San Bernadino national forest and Long Beach Marine stadium. I also have made a lot of trips to san vicente resivor in San Diego. Good thing I have a boat, the surf here has been terrible with nothing over a couple of feet in a while. I guess its a good time to work on the house before the surf gets good and the snow starts. Again I say to all, if you are in San Diego and want to surf or wakeboard PM me and I will take you out.