Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: my calves are killing me
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:44 pm 

this is my first season on a split and today we skinned through some really heavy wet snow and my calves were in pain the whole time. they have hurt on my other trips and i wonder if i have my high backs set to forward on my bindings? do you guys have a lot of forward lean on your bindings or am i in that bad of shape? it could be either.
thanks for any info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:12 pm 

Is it a pinpoint pressure that occurs where you highback hits you? Or is your muscle sore like you did too many calf raises?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:34 pm 

it doesn't hurt like i did calf raises. it hurts right under the calf muscle but above the ankle. i'm going to try to take some forward lean off and see if that works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:55 pm 

Hey, that sounds kinda like a problem I was having last year. My achilles on both feet were killing me after climbing. It turned out to be that the boots had developed a kink in the back right there, making a serious pressure point. These were Burton Ion boots. Got a new pair of the same boots (loved 'em up until that happened) over the summer, and they're fine now. So that might be something to investigate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:35 pm 

My bet is the highbacks, those things can be a pain. I minimize forward lean and adjust heel cup back away from heel a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:13 pm 

I release my highbacks when skinning, and relatch them when I reassemble the board,don't know if your bindings have this set up though.Makes skinning steep sections a lot easier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:21 pm 

That's definitely caused by the forward lean.

Backing off the forward lean will solve the problem but you'll lose a lot of control for the ride down. Last year I solved this by swapping out my highbacks with those from the Burton P1. The little switch on the back allows you to adjust the forward lean instantly, so you can be comfortable while skinning:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:24 pm 

Man, that sounds like the problem I am having now. Achilles tendons. I am laying off the board until it heals, so far I'm 7 weeks since I messed them up on a 3 day (30 mile) trip. I agree with the others, it's the high backs. I want to take mine off, but it's a pain (burtons that screw off...) guess I'll start tinkering with it next season when I am healed. In the meantime, lay off those achilles if they keep hurting. The only thing that will heal them is lots of rest, at least 6 + weeks... ugh... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:29 pm 

BTW just wanted to mention that in my case it most definitely was the boots, and NOT the highbacks. Not saying that's the problem in your case, but something to look at also. In my case it was obvious because I also felt it when I was hiking with the board on my back.

The P1's rock! Just got a pair this year and love 'em.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:12 pm 

Jim - Did you have 03/04 (I think) black Ions with yellow accents? I had these boots with the same problem. They creased right on my lower calf, causing SEVERE discomfort. Towards the end of last season, I couldn't even walk from my car to the lifts in 'em. I think it was a design flaw on that model year...

For the early part of this season, I was using some Burton stepin boots with my Mission strap bindings until I found some new boots to use. Which reminds me - if anyone needs some unused size large Burton stepins (minus boots) let me know. I got them as a misorder and they're just collecting dust here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:26 pm 

wtp wrote:
Jim - Did you have 03/04 (I think) black Ions with yellow accents? I had these boots with the same problem. They creased right on my lower calf, causing SEVERE discomfort. Towards the end of last season, I couldn't even walk from my car to the lifts in 'em. I think it was a design flaw on that model year...

Yep, those are the ones. There was this plastic piece on the outside the boot that went about halfway up the back. It creased right where this piece ended. I tried cutting off the plastic piece but it didn't help. The new pair of Ions I have seem to have a pretty similar design, but this problem hasn't shown up yet. I haven't done all that much hiking in them yet though, so we'll see...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:53 pm 

Well, looks like I spoke too soon. Last weekend at Shasta the (not-so) new Ions started doing the same thing... the back of the outside boot developed a kink in the same place. I guess they're not really designed for serious hiking, but I figured I'd still get more than one season out of them. Guess not.

I've been looking at the Burton Driver. They look like they might hold up to the abuse a bit better, and have a bit more stability while still having decent soft-boot feel. Anyone have any experience with these?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:26 pm 

I used to hike in my Driver Si's but found them so stiff to walk in that the required change in gait made me want to stay home. Maybe skinning would be different but they do not give much. They are very stiff forward and laterally though and the ride down is great.