Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: bd neve crampons and malamutes?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:00 pm 

I've been looking to replace my beat-up stubai crampons, and noticed BD now has a similar aluminum Neve crampon. Does anyone know how well (or not) it would fit the Salomon Malamute boot? I'd go to the nearest shop and test it myself, but it'd be a long long drive.

This is the model I'm referring to:

Post subject: Re: bd neve crampons and malamutes?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:31 pm 

I tested them out on my size 10 Mals a few years ago side by side with the CAMP aluminum crampons. Neither are perfect fits, but they both could work. In the end I liked the fit of the CAMPs better. Using the last hole on the bar fit the size 10, so if you have larger feet you'll need the optional longer bar. Here's my crampons (but when I bought them they included the antibott inserts).
http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/ ... 0016M.html

Hope that helps some. I've used the CAMPs plenty and they haven't failed.

Post subject: Re: bd neve crampons and malamutes?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:02 pm 

Below is a response I posted on another similar thread. The key is to find a flexible crampon for the best performance with soft boots... i.e Malamutes. :wink:

A big plus for the steel KTS verses the aluminum Neve is the KTS (w/ SRS) is only 3.5oz heavier (equivalent weight of 2 energy bars) yet you get the performance, durability and piece of mind of having steel.

The steel KTS (w/ SRS) is actually 9oz lighter than the Camp Stalker, but performs the same.

Yoda wrote:
Kahtoola KTS Steel http://www.kahtoola.com/kts_steel.html

BD Neve http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/gear/neve.php

Camp Stalker http://www.camp.it/EN/template01.aspx?codicemenu=50

The BD Neve uses Kahtoola's patented LeafSpring extender bar... considering BD has licensed the extender bar from Kahtoola, I can't say anything else other than Kahtoola nailed it on that design... BD rarely licenses anything from anyone!!!

The point I want to make is that Kahtoola has some added attention-to-detail that the other crampon mfgs have failed to address. They were the first company to produce a flexible crampon, and since then all the other mfgs have chased after them with their own versions. Some mfgs have even infringed on Kahtoola's patents which says alot about them "nailing it" on the design!

Bottom line - if your looking for a crampon made specifically for soft boots, then I strongly recommend that you look at the KTS Steel. Several people here on the forum are using the steel Kahtoolas and are very happy with them, even BCRider the creator of this website.

Yoda wrote:
If your just looking to find out if there are crampons that will accommodate a soft boot, then your in luck... just about every crampon mfg makes a crampon designed to "strap" onto soft boots. Some crampons will fit better than others with snowboard boots, but they all will usually fit.

Food for thought - Kahtoola has addressed all the facets of crampon design and have produced a crampon that not only straps onto a soft boot, but is engineered to work with the boots inherent flex, improving performance and stability. Even the front-points are set at a particular angle to insure purchase while the crampon is flexed... no other mfg has paid attention to these little, but important details.