It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mt. Baker Backcountry Map Geo-database project
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:49 pm 

bonesgetbroke...

thats not at all what I meant.

What I was saying in the second one...

Quote:
So he will grab a friend to go next time and his friend will grab a friend and another and another. More people probably end up in your stashes because you invited them or a friend.

And this noob next time might show up with another friend who is an even bigger noob and they will both try to reach the cooler lines they heard you talking about.

...was this is how a majority of people end up in your stashes. You are bringing them. You are telling your friends and acquaintances where some of the good stashes are.

I was not inferring that people shouldn't be back there who are noob's. You have to start somewhere and with a freind or acquaintance I am all for. Actually I think its the best way. I know I have done more then plenty of it. I am always looking for another bc partner and its a great way. Drag an extra friend when you have the extra gear and another partner.

So basically I am all for this guys project and I don't think it will really help many people into that area at all.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:36 am 

the mighty bighorn wrote:
Mt. Baker Backcountry Map Geo-database.

I’m working on a project for a BSc.Honors degree at the University of Fraser Valley that entails the building of a geo-database for the backcountry area surrounding the Mt. Baker Ski Area. It will include Georeferenced Maps, ski ascent/descent route data, digital elevation and topographic models, panchromatic images, and aerial and oblique photographs. It will cover the areas around Shuskan Arm, Table Mountain, Bagley/Chain Lakes, Ptarmigan Ridge, Lake Ann, Kulshan Ridge, Mt. Herman etc.

A lot of the work will be done by generating the maps using ArcGIS in the lab at the University, but I will also be spending a ton of time out in the field collecting data and taking photographs. I really need to partner up with others for the field work. All that will be involved is touring and riding killer terrain, and maybe waiting around a few minutes here and there while I take locations with a GPS and take photos.

The end results of the project will be placed on a open sourced database that anyone can use for trip planning and navigation. There will be no commercial use of the data and it will be available to anyone through the internet.

If anyone is interested in helping out with GIS expertise or who just wants to tag along for the ride I’d be happy to have you along. I’m going to be out in the field Saturday to Tuesday starting in January. Just send me a personal message.

I got a personal tour over a few days of the terrain in the original guide book for an area that's not Baker - don't worry "Salsa Verde" is safe with me - although like any stash, all you need to do is follow the tracks.

I'd love this level of detail for my local haunt - I plan on exploring deeper but I don't even know what GIS is, let alone have expertise in it.

I can understand and appreciate the frustration of giving away secrets though in crowded areas with lots of competition.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:56 pm 

I got a personal tour over a few days of the terrain in the original guide book for an area that's not Baker - don't worry "Salsa Verde" is safe with me - although like any stash, all you need to do is follow the tracks.
[/quote]

Yeah, pilot, i definitely left a lot areas out, Salsa Brava is one of RT's lines. He was never worried about the book, he's been touring the Salmo/Creston pass for 40 years - he can always find an untracked line and he can still kick all of our asses.

Looking forward to ripping it up with you at the split fest...I may have to keep my true identity on the down low to avoid conflict though.

It doesn't look like I'll have any trouble with partners, I've gotten a number of PM's with offers of support - thanks all! :)

Trevor Campbell
http://www.mightybighornmaps.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:21 pm 

Jack, this will be ok, I swear. Something similiar happened to the Alpy bc a few years back,http://www.alpental.com/ . There was some grumbling when that site launched but now it's largely forgotten. A map project like this for Baker is inevitable and I'm willing to bet it has zero effect on the amount of pow you shred. Some days are a shitshow and some days are epic. Thats true now and will still be true after all the Baker lokes get their spots blown up on the web.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:55 pm 

3 years ago. Did this ever happen?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:20 am 

jack wrote:
awesome, just what the area needs: more people, and more people who know the good spots....killer idea...

+1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:40 am 

When I was hiking the Baker BC there were tons of BC skiers, and the terrain was wide open, And the parking was unlimited. (That area might as well be mapped for the masses) To find that secret stash find a touring option with crap or grey area parking

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:57 am 

russman wrote:
jack wrote:
awesome, just what the area needs: more people, and more people who know the good spots....killer idea...

+1

Boycotting the Baker splitfest then? We'll miss your boyish enthusiasm.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:10 pm 

all one needs is stronger legs and more will power...go one ridge farther...