Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: plate/pmb set-up questions
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:25 pm 

New to the forum and am sure binding/boot set-ups have been beaten to death in previous posts. However, I really want to make a system using pmb's and plate bindings work, because want to use it for mountaineering.

Using the pmb/plate set-up on my Voile 172 I've been absolutely flailing. Keeping a toe-edge is okay, but the heel-edge is non-existent. Anytime I hit hard snow/ice I'm on my ass. Seems like I need a highback, but if they sell this set-up then I assume that somebody has had some success. Suggestions in modifactions of binding, stance, etc?

I desparately want to make splitboarding and mountaineering work, but may have to go back to innertubing if nobody can help. Thanks.

Post subject: solution
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:07 pm 

Try AT boots (instead of PMBs!): ride and skin with them in "Walk mode"
They are great for cramponing and technical ascents requiring front pointing. They are light and often fit better than PMB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:29 pm 

AT boots are not PMB's... :roll:

Svilar, check out this recent post from Brett, beautiful work. I'd love to emulate it when I get the time:

http://www.splitboard.net/talk/viewtopic.php?t=664

-C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:00 pm 

Zach ought to pipe up here, he has spent some time in the pmb/plate setup, using a tall thermo liner. He is, however, using an A/T boot for his Denali trip, and should add that several top splitters (Zellers etc.) do the same. I know of a few skiers who climb/ski in a similar setup. The superlight A/T boots have a weight advantage over all other options, and for long trips that may be the straw that breaks the camels back, so to speak. You will ride better in the A/T boots, 'cause pmb's suck, in my humble opinion, for riding. A highback may help if you are insistent on doing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:48 am 

John,

I actually used to ride in PMBs with strap bindings.... This still seems like a system with a lot of promise, as some mountaineering boots give very similar performance to snowboard soft boots. My buddy, Jef, uses La Sportiva, Nuptses with a pair of Flow bindings that he has lightened up, and he loves this combination. I question the reliability and weight of strap bindings at extremely high altitudes, which is why I made the transition to AT boots and plate bindings.

Having tried it a few years ago, I was surprised at how much I liked it this time around... I found that I actually enjoy the hard-boot style of riding more, when I have the correct stance, cant and lift... And, in my opinion, there is no better option for high-altitude, snowboard mountaineering. It definitely takes some getting used to, the hard-boot style, but there's no reason why you cant' have soft boots for some days and hard boots for others. Koch and Zellers both do it.

Zach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:55 pm 

although i doubt you'll HAVE to go back to it, i bet there are TONS of innertube first decents waiting for you out there! as for your boot dilema, don't hesitate to go out and start try'n AT boots out. a lot of people swear by them and you could find a boot that you absolutely love. i haven't found one that that accomidates my preferences yet but my search is far from over. as you mentioned, with a plate/pmb set-up a highback is key. the set up chris linked to still needs some work in a few areas. it's a work in progress and has a ways to go but it is showing some promise and projects can be fun. having said that, there is also something to be said about things being off the self. i'm a bit envious of my wife being able to just go out and buy a great rando set up. she doesn't have hours of tinkering and trial and error w/ her gear before she can hit the slopes. you may find that the AT boot that you like still needs a bit of tweaking here or there (good thread topic) but i bet all in all you'd be able to get out in the hills sooner than trying to solve the plate/pmb issues. don't let that stop you from tinkering though! like zack was saying, no reason why you can't have options.