Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SPLITRIPPIN may be moving to Sacramento, CA
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:26 am 

Who all lives in this area? I'm being flown out for my second interview with the Beareau of Reclamation in Sacramento. I like Middletown, but also wanted to live closer to the Sierras.

I'm either looking to rent a loft style apartment, or a house in country.

Suggestions? :thumpsup:

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/

Post subject: Re: SPLITRIPPIN may be moving to Sacramento, CA
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:48 pm 

You like Middletown??

Well it is remote with a small town feel and good mountain biking nearby. But Middletown?

Foothills off 50 or 80 would be ideal if you're working in Sac.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:10 pm 

You will also want to invest in a used boat for Wakeboarding. Picture your summer evening after work carving up smooooooooth glass.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:20 pm 

I think he's talking about mid-town Sacramento--not the meth capital of Lake County.

powderjunkie wrote:
You like Middletown??

Well it is remote with a small town feel and good mountain biking nearby. But Middletown?

Foothills off 50 or 80 would be ideal if you're working in Sac.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:53 pm 

I thought Lakeport was the meth capitol. :lol:

That would be long commute anyway.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:06 pm 

If you will be working in downtown, I personally would opt for a mid-town loft vs. a country home in the foothills. You would really be 'paying' for that foothill home on your daily commute, while getting to the goods from mid-town isn't bad at all. YMMV

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:22 am 

Sweetness, I appreciate the input ya'll. I think Sac is a nice balance of city action, and being closer to Sierras/San Fran. With the best bonus of being able to get to the Sierras.

I hear about all the gang bangers in Sac, is that true? Or, just a bunch O' crap?

How's the music scene in Sac? Any musicians on here? One of my buddies I use to tour with back in the day lives in San Fran.

Now that I delve more into electronics these days with drumming. It will be easier to create "quietly" in a loft apartment.

-Luther Standing Bear,

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:03 am 

Dude, Sac is not a hippster town. SF, yes. Sac no. There's several hundred thousand people so there are clubs, tea houses and even an urban downtown with a commuter train but deep down Sac is ghetto. Don't get me wrong, being that close to the snow and trails is sweet and I live in an even ghettoer area. That said, driving in from the foothills EVERY day would SUCK.

As an environmental planner I would always lean toward living as close to your work as possible.

SPLITRIPPIN wrote:
Sweetness, I appreciate the input ya'll. I think Sac is a nice balance of city action, and being closer to Sierras/San Fran. With the best bonus of being able to get to the Sierras.

I hear about all the gang bangers in Sac, is that true? Or, just a bunch O' crap?

How's the music scene in Sac? Any musicians on here? One of my buddies I use to tour with back in the day lives in San Fran.

Now that I delve more into electronics these days with drumming. It will be easier to create "quietly" in a loft apartment.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:07 am 

Sac is cool enough. The Farmer's market (ironically under the freeway) rocks. Midtown is fun and livable. You can ride a bike everywhere, personally I think the American River parkway is an amazing resource (a 30 some mile bike path). Good climbing gym. The Beat on J street has a quality vinyl selection. It's actually a diverse city, without as much segregation as many cities. Decent central location for adventuring.

Summer does get hot, but that's a good excuse to gain elevation.

Here in Lake Tahoe, I walk by a Norteno gang tag nearly every day. Gangs are everywhere, and certainly there is a presence in Sac, but I wouldn't sweat it.

With the implosion of the CA government, there are probably great deals on housing in Sac.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:53 am 

Hipster? Ha yeah.. far from that.. unless blasting Opeth on the way to my cabin by Canada while burnin one, and shooting my guns at the gravel pit is considered hipster. :thumpsup:

I'm definately not down with being dependent on my ride, unless it's to get to zee hills, meng. I'd rather bike to work on the single speed.

I do appreciate the input ya'll... It's a bit putting the cart before the horse, but it's always good to be prepared. I fly out next Wednesday for the interview.

I may be riding the Sierras with ya'll next year. :clap: :doobie:

-Luther Standing Bear,

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:50 am 

SPLITRIPPIN wrote:

Nice thing about Sac is you get to wake up an hour later than all the bay area posers (like me), and then check the weather, make some calls, and have a total variety of routes to get over the best option of the day for the three trans-sierra passes. Gotta learn what conditions & time of day warrant each of the routes. But options a plenty for sure.

Sac's close to the rivers and the delta if you like watersports (fracking awesome birdwatching if you're into that, especially from a kayak), straight shot up to the Cascades or down to the western slope stuff. Also, you can take the train to the bay area, it's not cheap ($22 each way) unless you get commuter packs, but it's a nice ride and you can read and enjoy the scenery etc. I don't know beans about the local commuter train that connects downtown to Folsom, but you might want to check it out if you want to expand your living base without having to deal with driving.

Mainly, it's hot as balls every day 6 months out of the year, and yes deep down ghetto as people have said. Neighborhoods are nicer closer to the American and the Sacramento though.

AND you get to be in the middle of all the CA water issues hullabaloo, which I think is a very exciting place to be at a very exciting time (and also frustrating and mindboggling for me as a hippie-wannabe). Working for USBR they'll probably comp you to take some Water Education Foundation tours ... I highly recommend them. I did the Central Valley Tour in April and we got to visit various irrigators, farmers, check out Pine Flat and Friant, Tulare Lake basin, San Luis Res, Mendota Pool, Cross Valley Canal, etc etc etc.

Just curious, what are you aiming to do with USBR?

EDIT:
A few more quick points:
* It's Sierra (don't pluralize)
* You can get to Sugar Bowl Resort in less than 1.5 hours in the early spring mornings from Sac (very good technical terrain and BC access to some cool stuff)
* Good luck on your interview

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:28 am 

And, if you do move,no reason to limit yourself to the sierra. You will be close enough to Lassen and Shasta to do weekend trips

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:01 am 

SPLITRIPPIN wrote:
Hipster? Ha yeah.. far from that...

...I'd rather bike to work on the single speed.

:mrgreen:

well, I guess you did say 'work'