Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: self arrest with a board
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:34 am 

Today I was riding in bounds, it was pretty icy. My tip clip opened, so I stopped on a flat section to fix the duct tape. I guess it wasn't flat enough, I started sliding on my ass with the board in my hands.

Anyway, I managed to stop like 200 feet later, and I don't remember if it was on my toes or my knees, but both hands were on the heel cup.

It took me like 3 attempts, and once i only got one side of the board weighted well, and ended up spinning around and going down hill face first =(

So, erm... what is the proper way to do this without an ice axe?

Post subject: Re: self arrest with a board
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:33 am 

nothingmuch wrote:
Today I was riding in bounds, it was pretty icy. My tip clip opened, so I stopped on a flat section to fix the duct tape. I guess it wasn't flat enough, I started sliding on my ass with the board in my hands.

Anyway, I managed to stop like 200 feet later, and I don't remember if it was on my toes or my knees, but both hands were on the heel cup.

It took me like 3 attempts, and once i only got one side of the board weighted well, and ended up spinning around and going down hill face first =(

So, erm... what is the proper way to do this without an ice axe?

Do you ride plates?? or Soft boots?

First of all get gear that does not come undone.

Second if you stopped and where sitting there, then you should have had a foot in the board. Keep it in there and fix your binder with the other foot on the board so you can be on edge the whole time. The whole point is never to take your board off if all is possible and second, try to make a platform to stand or holes in the crust to get purchase for your boots if you have to take your board off.

If you have to self arrest with your board you have to get your body down hill of it and then get edge drag to stop yourself. That way the board will not flip you around, you will already be down hill of the drag.

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:46 pm 

Tom Burt wrote:

Second if you stopped and where sitting there, then you should have had a foot in the board. Keep it in there and fix your binder with the other foot on the board so you can be on edge the whole time. The whole point is never to take your board off if all is possible and second, try to make a platform to stand or holes in the crust to get purchase for your boots if you have to take your board off.

Losing my board wasn't an accident. I would never take off the board like that anywhere with exposure... This was on a groomer. I was sitting on a flat area where a path crosses the piste, so I thought I was perfectly safe... I think it was like a 5° angle max. The part I slid down was maybe 30° of pretty much ice covered by ice shavings and the occasional patch of snow.

I unstrapped my bindings and took it off to mess with the splitboard tip clip and my roll of duct tape, it's worn down so if there's lots of chatter it opens up and the nose is in two parts... really annoying.

Quote:
If you have to self arrest with your board you have to get your body down hill of it and then get edge drag to stop yourself. That way the board will not flip you around, you will already be down hill of the drag.

I guess maybe I should practice that... It's what I tried to do but I didn't succeed that well ;-)

I guess if I knew what to do instead of improvising I wouldn't have accelerated that much.

The way I got flipped is that only the tail got purchase, and it was pretty far off to the side. Kinda like when you use an ice axe and it's not close enough to the shoulder, I guess.

Thanks for the advice!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:27 pm 

nothingmuch wrote:
Tom Burt wrote:

Losing my board wasn't an accident. I would never take off the board like that anywhere with exposure... This was on a groomer. I was sitting on a flat area where a path crosses the piste, so I thought I was perfectly safe... I think it was like a 5° angle max. The part I slid down was maybe 30° of pretty much ice covered by ice shavings and the occasional patch of snow.

I unstrapped my bindings and took it off to mess with the splitboard tip clip and my roll of duct tape, it's worn down so if there's lots of chatter it opens up and the nose is in two parts... really annoying.

Quote:

I guess maybe I should practice that... It's what I tried to do but I didn't succeed that well ;-)

I guess if I knew what to do instead of improvising I wouldn't have accelerated that much.

The way I got flipped is that only the tail got purchase, and it was pretty far off to the side. Kinda like when you use an ice axe and it's not close enough to the shoulder, I guess.

Thanks for the advice!

Self arresting is always a bitch. The hardest thing is committing your body to the tool that you have in had to arrest with. In your case trying to self arrest to the side with a board is tough and spinning to your stomach is a hard thought to do before using your board to arrest but you have to do what will work with what you have. But again try not to take your board off, it will sovle lots of problems.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:59 pm 

Bump.

I have been thinking about how to self-arrest with an while snowboarding. I have done some glacial mountaineering in SE Alaska a while back. I have not tried using an ice axe while splitboarding, yet.

I have notice in a couple of TRs, people carrying the ice axe in uphill hand, but pick was facing forward. The ice-axe pick should be facing back.

see

Also always wear gloves when using an ice-axe as firm snow and ice will turn yours hands into hamburger, if you fall and try to self arrest.

BTW: a single-arm self-arrest is so Hollywood, (see the beginning of the Vertical limit trailer ) and will not arrest you in fall, but will dislocate a shoulder! I mention this because, the logical place to carry an ice axe, while riding in your trailing hand holding onto the shaft of the axe, just below the head of the axe, but to me might be more difficult to get into the ready position". But holding in your trailing hand, the ice-axe is behind you if you fall.

So "experiences Splitboard Mountaineers", what is your input on carrying an ice axe while riding and getting into a the "ready position" for self arresting a fall riding?

What are the steps for self-arresting on heel-side and toe-side?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:48 pm 

you bumped so i missed this thread before but not now. some sage advice above for sure....but an ounce of prevention goes a long long way. ANY time it is firm enough I ride with my axe. granted that is off-piste only riding, but i would expect in the alps with the terrain you have access to you would always carry an axe? sometimes i just ride with it out as practice.

for me i am goofy foot so my uphill hand is my left, yet i am right handed to i naturally carry it out away from me in my downhill hand. yes as tom mentioned that roll move is very hard to pull off. i was just starpping in, in icy terrain and started sliding out of control. what goes through your mind while sliding is tons of shit but if you keep calm and focus on survival you can pull it off. in my case i was sliding with my board going downhill and upright, but as soon as i started sliding and tried to drag my board a little to stop, it turned me around and then i was going downhill on my back headfirst. i really remember that because i thought if i hit a rock it would be bad. however i cant remember the exact motion which flipped me aroundbut somehow i managed to tumble. i knew that was my chance. when i tumbled i got turned upright and somehow managed to pull off the roll to face the slope, with board downhill and properly arrest with my axe. someone else that day fell very far on the same slope so i felt lucky. i only slide a few hundred feet but that feeling of helpless uncontrollable sliding - it is such a harrowing feeling. it has definitely changed my game on how i approach hard packed slopes now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:43 pm 

This too happened to me on-piste:

Quote:
in my case i was sliding with my board going downhill and upright, but as soon as i started sliding and tried to drag my board a little to stop, it turned me around and then i was going downhill on my back headfirst. i really remember that because i thought if i hit a rock it would be bad.