Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bozeman Peeps... scenic hikes for me and the wifey??
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:49 pm 

Heya.. Well.. I'm being flown out to Bozeman for my final interview :thumpsup: . It will take place on a Friday, so I'll have an opportunity to check out some scenery. I want to take the wifey on a hike to show her some moutain views...

Any suggestions? This would be purely a foot hike.. no touring.

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/

Post subject: Re: Bozeman Peeps... scenic hikes for me and the wifey??
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:29 am 

Views FROM the mountains may be tough to get on foot because of snow but you could try Sypes Canyon or the M trail, both at the southern tip of the Bridgers. You may be able to get to the summit of Baldy from either of those trails. Sypes is looking pretty snowy right now.

For good views OF the mountains, I would drive out to Headwaters state park and/or Buffalo Jump state park. They're both west of town and have nice views looking east. Those are both real easy strolls.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:24 am 

Drive up into Hyalite Canyon (if you have access to a Subaru or 4 wheel drive vehicle). That puts you up in the mountains and there are a number of trails that are nicely packed out for hiking on.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:54 pm 

Packed out for hiking... yes indeed! Descending Blackmore Creek on Friday, we blew past numerous hikers. Needless to say with their wet feet they were a little jealous of us having a great time riding down the slushy, bermed out trail.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:53 pm 

sorry to hijack but how was the stability in the area nick? might be trying for something nice in that general area this weekend. and hikers heading up blackmore in march, who would've thunk it :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:13 pm 

Hey Lifelink, we rode the Ribbon that day, which isn't very representative of the general snowpack in the area. No obvious signs of instability on the way up (except on obviously sun-affected aspects). I won't go into a detailed report, but we dug two pits including one right at the base of the couloir and found moderate stability, but things broke BIG when they finally did. Buddy held a 200+ chunk of dense hardslab for a minute! We proceeded very cautiously and bagged a killer line in outstanding condition. But after reading the avy report today, I think the relative stability we find may have been isolated. Be careful, have fun and dig lots of pits!
I've been thinking that the Blackmore region offers some of the best splitboarding terrain anywhere. Besides the obvious great terrain and easy access up there, you can ride in board mode the entire 5 miles out the drainage! I only stop twice to unbuckle. I love that kinda stuff.
/end thread hijack.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:13 am 

nickstayner wrote:
...you can ride in board mode the entire 5 miles out the drainage!...

/re-open thread hijack/

That is awesome.

/end thread hijack/

ps - the road to Hyalite is closed from April 1st to May 15th.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:29 pm 

sounds like you definitely found some of the rare pockets of stability. we were planning on heading into cottonwood to give a go at hellmouth, but high winds and a lot of new snow kept us riding pow on the east face of blackmore. btw our pits were all over the place. in the same pit a column failed while isolating with Q1 and right next to it got CT15 with Q2. Gotta keep a good eye out right now. oh and riding waist deep pow with full pack on the way out was actually really fun :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:29 pm 

sounds like you definitely found some of the rare pockets of stability. we were planning on heading into cottonwood to give a go at hellmouth, but high winds and a lot of new snow kept us riding pow on the east face of blackmore. btw our pits were all over the place. in the same pit a column failed while isolating with Q1 and right next to it got CT15 with Q2. Gotta keep a good eye out right now. oh and riding waist deep pow with full pack on the way out was actually really fun :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:55 pm 

Hey Lifelink, good to hear you're using the Blackmore TH to access the Cottonwood/Hellmouth region. Back in the day before the thing became popular :wink: seemed like most folks were trudging up the Cottonwood drainage to get there.
BTW, a good friend of mine did the Hellmouth back in January and replaced/left hardware for rap anchors in two different places. Good to know! Too bad the Hyalite's closed for a month and a half. I'd get after it with you in May if you're still interested.
Thanks for the snowpack info too. An interesting year!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:17 am 

Sorry to hijack this thread once more, but this picture turned out really well and shows how damned fat some of the mountain lines are going to be this spring. Bigger than I've ever seen this thing for sure. I mean, it's called the Ribbon or the Laser. Not so this spring!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:26 pm 

Gorgeous.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:12 pm 

nice pic! it is shaping up ok this year, however I feel a little spoiled after skiing whitetail on july 16 last year with only a small runnel. I hate to say it but I kinda hope things start to consolidate so certain lines settle down a bit. anyways never bad to get 2ft dumps in april. woo hoo