Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Central AK beta
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:36 pm 

Alaskans! I might be working on the north side of Wrangell-St. Elias Nat'l park this summer and was wondering if anyone had any info on the area for possible splitboard adventures. Don't know how late the snow lasts down low or how accessible the terrain is. Anyone done any trips in this area or possible split mountaineering adventures in the Wrangells? It has yet to be determined whether or not I'll end up there, but those peaks look mighty fine. They would probably look even better with my splitboard tracks on them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:51 pm 

definitely can get summer turns there. access can be a bit "difficult". where will you be working, that will help in determining the closest potential area(s)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:34 pm 

nabesna, but might be able to venture down south a bit - maybe even w/bush planes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:51 pm 

bush planes would be the way to go. Tons of dream terrain there off Mt Sanford & neighboring mtns

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:48 pm 

I would go the plane route where you'll be. Paul Klaus (SP?) of ultima thule adventures has a pretty nice set-up down there. He also owns an Otter and I belive has still has a super cub that would put you onto something that will induce pucker. What are you going to be doing? You'll be in a pretty spectacular spot for sure. If you can get up the Richardson hwy. The Black Rapids/ Isabelle pass area has pretty easy acess off of the road. The snow will be there until after the fourth. Of course you'll want to stay on the East side of the hwy. Perhaps I'll see you there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:27 pm 

nomad,
the nabesna are ain summer is pretty warm. down low snow will most likely be gone. some of the mountain areas get really (open) crevassed at that time of year as well, so a week of glacier skiing would need a flyby or some local knowledge to figure out.
the area also offers tons of other fun things to do. i would reccomend a pack raft.
also don't forget you will be pretty close to Valdez and can get some summer turns there as well, may be on a glacier, but turns are turns right! might want to check out the delta mountains as well.
oh another place you should check out is www.alaskamountainforum.com
may be some folks running around there with more knowledge of that area, as i pretty much have none. have fun and enjoy the 24hrs of fun in the sun this summer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:58 am 

bdub's got the right idea about other cool stuff to check out. If you end up in Nabesna, the Dall Sheep on nearby Devils Mtn & the next peak north are amazing and easily acessible for veiwing and photos. About a 70 mile float north on the river runs you through true alaskan country. Bring your bike and head to the south of the wrangells to ride the copper river and all around Kennicott/Mccarthy. Isabelle pass is unbelieveable just to drive thru. Huge, steep runs right on the road. Be patient & wait out the weather...I've been to isabelle twice and got shut down due to weather, but there is good Lake Trout fishing and tons of hiking to be had nearby. If you NEED turns they can certainly be had. :mrgreen: