Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Haute Route info
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:06 am 

Have seen some posts on here a while back about doing the Haute on a split and was looking for some info on it. Looking at potentially doing the Haute in April 2010. Just looking for general info about doing the route on a split. How was/is it on a split? Soft boots vs hard boots? etc. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Haute Route info
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:46 am 

I haven't done it but i've inquired a bit. From what I understand there is not a lot of technical riding, at most 40° slopes, but there are sections on glaciers (big ones) so you should have that covered.

There is not a lot of vertical over the route, it's mostly long traverses, so a board is probably not the most fun way to do it (or from my POV, this is not the best route for a board... there are endless possibilities).

Most if not all of the route is serviced by huts, so you don't need to take camping gear.

IIRC there are several variations, and it can take anywhere from 6-9 days, mostly depending on whether or not you take a bus in one section in the middle or go the long way round to stay above the snow line.

Post subject: Re: Haute Route info
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:26 am 

I did the Haute on skis. Technical wise it is pretty easy - the steep sections are brief and trivial. It is mostly a tour though, think spending the whole day traversing a flat glacier.

I would definately bring a split back to the Alps, but if I were splitting I'd look for tours with more up/down, of which there are plenty. I'd do the Haute on a split if I didn't ski, the scenery is awesome.