Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: advice for someone just getting started
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:27 am 

what's up guys. idaho kid here, originally from sc so snowboarding regularly is a change for me. just getting started gathering information on splitboards. so, i'd like some general advice from some of you about getting started.

basically, would you recommend buying a voile board (complete) or just buying the voile kit and cutting an old board myself? i've got all the tools in my shop, so fabricating the board myself would be an option.

i'm weighing the costs to get started and it'll be pretty much a wash (150 bucks or so) because i'd need to find a used deck with the right length. i'm planning on going with a 165 to 166 or so. my board now for off trail and groomers at the idaho resorts is a 157. i'm 5'9" 190 lbs..size 10 boot. kinda fat, but i'm workin' on the gut.

we finally got some snow these last couple of weeks and a buddy of mine and i post holed up a couple of times. the local resort in boise closed few weeks ago due to 70 degree days, but now they're pretty loaded, but closed. we had a blast, anyway. so did my dogs. so, i'm very excited about getting into the backcountry, probably starting next season. so, you can gather from my post, this is totally new to me, and any advice would be great.

any general advice from you guys would be much appreciated. thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:37 am 

Welcome mcaliste!

If you can afford it, I would go ahead and buy a board designed as a split. The inside metal edges and extra stiffening come in handy. Perhaps if all you will see is pow, then splitting your own would be fine. Here in NV/CA we see some ice and/or hardpack in the mornings, especially in spring.

As far as which split to get, I would pass on the old Voile unless it's a really good deal. It's just too floppy IMHO. Their new Mountain Gun (is that the name?) coming out next year is supposed to be great though. I just switched to a Prior from an old Voile, and it is superior in every aspect - skinning, traversing, ride, float, carve - you name it. The Blaho Bros. Split Never Summer boards are also supposed to be great. The Burton is also an excellent board, but some people don't like the hardware, especially the older hardware. Then again some people love it. I think Burton is switching to the Voile hardware next year.

If your season is coming to an end too early, come on out to Cali for a visit. We'll be riding good spring snow until July this year. Post here and I bet somebody will show you around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:43 am 

BTW, I lived in SC for 10 years and learned to snowboard during that time at Beech, Sugar Mtn, Hawk's Nest, etc. I bet you don't miss those crowded molehills :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:57 am 

Matt wrote:
BTW, I lived in SC for 10 years and learned to snowboard during that time at Beech, Sugar Mtn, Hawk's Nest, etc. I bet you don't miss those crowded molehills :wink:

yeah, i don't miss those hills one bit. but i guess if you can ride on that ice, while dodging church groups, you are ready for just about anything :wink: what part of sc did you live in?? i lived in columbia and charleston for a bit..but grew up in columbia..

and thanks for the welcome. if we get down in that area in the future, i'll let you guys know...

a couple shops in town have a burton 165 and a voile 166 at a pretty decent sale price. i'd probably come out paying around 150 to 200 bucks more for the factory split, as i'd have to find a used deck or demo deck to cut.

i've gathered that the durability of the burton system is a big concern. but that the deck itself is a better deck than the voile. is this fair to say?

buying a factory split would cure the concern of the deck getting damaged due to the cut edge. i've read some ways to seal it, should i be concerned with this at all, or does the advice on sealing the cut edges in this forum work well.

also, would i be able to mount voile interface in the future to the burton deck pretty easily if i was having problems with the burton interface?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:32 pm 

I lived in Greenville, SC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:36 pm 

mcaliste
if you can get a deal on a voile go for it. i was concerned about the stiffness of the board (173) when i picked mine up because i used to ride a fairly stiff 170 "regular" board. i really don't feel like the board hinders me in any way. in fact i have only been out tele skiing once since i got it! my gf also rides a voile (166) and loves it, plus if something break (hasn't happened) we are riding the same gear.
end point just get the gear, find out if bc boarding is what you really want to do. then later on buy another board with whatever specs you want and keep the old board for fall/spring/lowsnow/rock riding. oh and learn about avalanches. be safe, have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:32 am 

Quote:
oh and learn about avalanches

The biggest part if you ask me.
I ride a voile 166 and i love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:58 am 

BridgerHippy wrote:
Quote:
oh and learn about avalanches

The biggest part if you ask me.
I ride a voile 166 and i love it.

i will definately get the education on avalanches. luckily, once i have my split, i will probably tag along with some of my tele friends who should know what they're doing in the bc (let's hope).

i think i'm gonna go with the viole 166 and be done with it. maybe split a board down the road for fun.

thanks for all of the advice guys.

this is a great site; very informative and entertaining. it's great to see a community like this on the internet. i hope to contribute in the future.

thanks again...mcaliste