Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: inside metal board-edges
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:17 am 

I sometimes wonder whether there's a noticeable difference between production splits with the inside metal edge, and boards without it (eg the DIY kind).

Is the only difference when traversing on hard-packed snow? Would it be noticeably lighter w/o the metal edge?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:10 am 

I'am also curious to the answer. Especially because I want to build my own splitboard.

so anyone?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:28 am 

i have really enjoyed my diy, it was fun to build and i think it is a better board than my production split voile, most of the time. when it is really deep, which is not often this year, the voile is great. anything steep and icy, i like my diy. the inside edge has not been a big deal, i thought it would be. i think if your skinning is good its not a big deal. the diy is lighter. this is my first year on a split, and i have really enjoyed it, i am curious about things breaking and what to carry with me for the quick fixes. i have about 30 days on the split system, but only the last 5 on my diy. so i'm not the most credible, but at this point, the diy is the best for my $$$ and performance. the last 5 days have been the iciest days of the year, and i have climbed as well on the diy as the production board. i really want to try my crampons though.

i split a seven year old MLY maverick 69, and it is cool. there are a lot of good older boards around to split for cheap, and they ride well. center your touring brackets on the ski if you do it, this way you ensure that the crampon works. the voile template puts you off center about a 1/4in. towards the inside split and my crampons do not work w/diy. i'll move the touring plates center and forward this weekend, not sure what it will do to touring mode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:38 am 

one last thing:
get the right tools, i used some real redneck shit at first, this made it a head ache. my biggest problem, after getting the right tools, was peen'en(crazy word) the tip and tail rivets.
good luck it's fun, do not over drink this task does require moderation!!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:05 pm 

I haven't ridden a DIY split but I been out with folks that use them. From what I could tell it didn't affect them in a negative way. For example, BCD and breadbox use DIYs and we've all seen what they can do.

I do think in certain situations the inside metal edge has an advantage but I don't think it makes a huge difference overall. Again, I haven't used one so I reserve the right to retract these comments later. ;)

It will shed a little weight but I'm guessing only in ounces. I guess it does all add up.

The concern I've heard most about the lack of an inside metal edge is durability. The wood core and base can get beat up a little while skinning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:21 am 

when I build my own (not split my own) I will lay up a ABS mid stringer in the core. So when cutting it you won't end up with the core on the inside but with a more durable "edge".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:48 am 

Hans2,
That's great that you want to build your own board. I've often wish I could, but wouldn't know where to start. Do you know of any online resources?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:58 am 

try these guys:
snowboard bits and pieces

There are a couple of guys in Europe Graf Snowboards, with some cool DIY information as well:
Graf Snowboards

and ya, this is your life when there aren't any mountains here...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:23 am 

NoMountainsHere wrote:
try these guys:
snowboard bits and pieces

There are a couple of guys in Europe Graf Snowboards, with some cool DIY information as well:
Graf Snowboards

and ya, this is your life when there aren't any mountains here...

I use the same recourses. Graf got very enthusiastic forum members with lots of knowledge about building your DIY.

-- no mountains (at all) here either. as flat as a pancake --

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:59 pm 

Howzabout some nylon instead of ABS in the center of your made-to-be-split board?

A bit more durable, fairly flexible, good stuff.