Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Not Splitboard but... Lib Tech
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:37 am 

Anyone else interested in the boards like the banana hammock and the skate banana?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:49 pm 

I rode the skate banana at dealer demo days this year. It's a decent enough board. I thought the K2 Gyrator was way more fun and would be better off as a pow board. The banana hammock looks interesting. They didn't have one, nor would have the conditions warranted taking it out anyway.

Just my $0.02.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:09 pm 

i would really like to get a banana hammock, but in my opinion, its a ten thousand dollar board.

in other words, you need a sled before you can use it. hopefully i will be there in a few more years....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:58 pm 

I thought this would happen :) a pontoon snowboard :)

although I figured the design would have a section of normal sidecut in between the bindings, so that the widest points are just outside of each binding, and then basically everything past the bindings is a big upwards curving nose/tail
probably be a whole lot less awkward and more versatile

but I haven't rode it so...

I've always wanted a twin 160ish splitboard like that, with the bit of sidecut under the feet so ice isn't automatic death... it would float and be all surfy, and you could set up twin duck stance and spin off whatever, it would have a wide range of speeds that it floats at... in both directions... probably not great for bombing big mountain couloirs though, but it would definately have be a nice ride for most days

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:30 pm 

Can anyone comment on their Magna-Traction (sp?) side-cut profile?
Looks interesting...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:47 am 

MTX works for what it was designed for. Riding hardpack conditions. I didn't think it was revolutionary. I have rode it several times and found it just fine. Some people say it washes out when you lay deep carves. I didn't find that issue, but I trust the opinion of the riders I have heard it from.

You really don't need it for spring corn, powder, and most backcountry conditions. Unless you are doing icy 60 degree fall and you die stuff, you really don't need it for spittin'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:07 pm 

Thanks Kc,
I just couldn't get clear on weather it was intended to be ridden properly, or some kind of gimmick for park rats to make'em <i>feel</i> like their on an edge while doing skidded turns.
Also curios, if this could compliment a "Fish" or "Kyber" shape as sort of a crutch to make the board a little more confident when things do get sketchy.

I wouldn't mind trying the Mullet, but Lib isn't doing any demo days up here (Canada).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:05 am 

I guess I was most interested in the Hammock. I applaud Lib for doing something different (for snowboards at least). $10,000 board? Would it be completely unridable after a HUGE dump inbounds? I really want to try one of these.

A little off topic, does anyone know of any older boards which used metal (besides the edges) in construction? Some of the TGR guys are putting reverse camber on some old skis with more metal in the construction. Might be a fun project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:56 pm 

I don't know about freeriding boards, I hope eventually this will exist, but right now in the racing world and freecarving world, titanal is the shit apparently, super damp and allows for a nice soft board to grip rutted up hardpack
don't know if any freeride/freestyle boards have ever been built with titanal