Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mountain Bike Stoke
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:50 pm 

Not sure whether to start a new thread...
Ok guys and girls, school me on MTB'ing around Mammoth. Mostly cross country stuff, definitely not the DH stuff.
Camping. Trails. Eats. Gimme the whole nine yards.
Gracias!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:58 am 

I haven't actually ridden around Mammoth. Anytime I ask anyone around here about bringing the bike down there, people look at me like I'm crazy. From what I've heard about the riding there, you've got to pay to ride at the ski area, even if you don't ride the lifts, and there's a whole lotta wilderness areas which don't allow bikes. If you're not committed to staying in Mammoth, cruise north for 3 hours to Tahoe, tons of rides. PM if you want suggestions around Tahoe. If anyone does know of some quality riding between here and Mammoth, I'd be interested, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:34 am 

Mammoth has lots of fun trail across the mountain that are more cross country. They have a pretty sweet interactive map that you can select the type of trails you want and it only highlights them. There are some snowmobile maps online here http://www.mammothweb.com/recreation/snowmobiling.cfm and they are pretty fun and go to some sweet view points. There is also the lower rock creek ride which is south of Mammoth just south of Tom's Place (rock creek) and drop you off just north of Bishop.
Plus there are tons of 4x4 dirt roads around. I'm sure you could find something to your liking.

Lots of camping, I like in the woods off Sherwin Creek Road. As far as food I like Nick -n- Willies for pizza, killer sandwiches and homemade soups. Schatt's bakery is yummy too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:41 am 

There are half dozen public free hot springs a couple miles east of 395, just south of Mammoth. Turn off 395 at the green church to get to them. They are always part of a eastside Sierras visit for me.

http://wanr.earthbiz.net/MammothHotSprings.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:03 pm 

Ricorides - You want to hit Lower Rock Creek. Not a ride from town, but this is the somewhat local must do, out of the park, ride. A couple resource links here:

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=24609

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-state ... 18crx.aspx

And if you really want to go nuts, they have a whole guide book on the area: http://www.extremeline.com/mammoth.htm

Given the long list, there certainly looks like plenty to hit outside the park...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:32 pm 

I'm about to get into mountain biking and was wondering if you need full suspension to hit drops?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:35 am 

No, but it sure does make it more fun. Not to mention you can go way bigger and faster with full suspension. If your an adrenaline junky, which you must be based on your riding in AK with snowsavage, you'll want a full sus bike. How much you willing to spend?

sneeky jesus wrote:
I'm about to get into mountain biking and was wondering if you need full suspension to hit drops?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:43 am 

Suspension on your bike is kind of like having pow to shred. My bike is super old and busted up but it's still so much fun to ride. The other weekend a friend and I visited a favourite place. Gotta be one of the best things, up there with splitting.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:37 am 

sneeky jesus wrote:

do research on what your looking for (4" xcountry vs downhill w/ more suspension and quality of components you want) and start shopping on ebay. you can get such a better deal on a high end bike. don't buy new imo. way worse than buying a new car as far as losing value as soon as it leaves the store.
you can get a bike that retails for $4k for less than 1/2 that price if it's a couple years old. pretty standard. ebay has TOOOOONS of bikes. the hard part is now getting outbid though, which happened to me like 3 times last year before I got my current bike (but i was happy i won the one I got in the end).

there's always wealthy, yuppie gear heads who want to upgrade to the newest and best and are always dumping sick bikes for cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:49 am 

I agree that you can get a better deal on a used bike but I don't care for buying site unseen. You'll want to be weary of frame dings that could cause failure especially if you plan on riding stunts and doing drops. Also, drivetrains can get thrashed, if you're patient you'll find something sweet though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:31 pm 

Yeah, there are advantages and disadvantages to the used market. You can definitely find some good deals out there and like BGnight mentions there are always the people with more money than riding skills who are always dumping lightly used nice bikes for cheap. But you have to really know what you're looking for, and it helps if you can check the bike out in person. So for that I'd recommend craigslist over ebay.

On the other hand, if you have a good local shop it can really pay off to buy from them. I know it has for me. I bought my bike new there, got a good deal (for new anyway), and where it has really payed off is in the service I've gotten after the fact, and deals on other stuff I buy there now. You'll definitely get better service this way than taking your ebay-bought bike into a local shop. Of course this is only relevant if you have a good local shop that you like.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:33 pm 

treetop wrote:

Ooh, that's a rad stunt! I wanna ride it! Nice pics.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:06 pm 

Here's a little raw POV at a local trail. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGkBOSqNszA

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next