Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pet peeves while skinning?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:45 pm 

Mine is when i'm draggin my pole along and the powder basket on the pole catches the tail of the board, snagging it out of my hand and makin me cuss. I do it all the time and can never seem to learn from it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:59 pm 

The other day I was skinning along and my tip got stuck under a small branch. I face planted. PJ laughed. I cussed.

Post subject: Re: Pet peeves while skinning?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:41 pm 

Yes, I do this one quite often as well. Totally catches you off guard.

Splitfire wrote:
Mine is when i'm draggin my pole along and the powder basket on the pole catches the tail of the board, snagging it out of my hand and makin me cuss. I do it all the time and can never seem to learn from it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:59 pm 

The peeves above don't really bother me. More of a slight annoyance.

What bothers me is the wheezing, high heart rate, sweating, and the general unpleasant feeling of being "tired" or "worked" or "whooped" or whatever you want to call it on that last skin of the day (or every skin some days). :wink:

The kick turns on steep, hard, off-camber icy switchbacks where you are standing on one leg for the kick turn, and that skin/ski slides loose throwing you on your face, putting your bare hands in the freezing snow (usually happens at the "worked" phase above when you are hot so you took your gloves off :x ). Then you spend 5 minutes trying to claw and sidestep up and around that switchback only to realize there are 10-20 more of those to go and you left your crampons at home for the "light tour" planned for that day. Those skinning days peeve me a little. :lol:

UB

Post subject: pet peeve while skinning
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:36 pm 

People's pets create my pet peeve -- dog poop on the skin track. Nothing sucks more than someone elses dog's poop on me skins. At least if its my own dogs' poop I can deal with the self blame as I always try to pick it up -- if I missed it I deserve it.

Boot post holes also kinda suck especially on the steeps.

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:16 pm 

Watching snowmobiles tear up the slope you were heading to is a real bummer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:59 pm 

the worst has got to be when the skins come off on the ascent, because i chose to go up something too steep, slide backwards, and somehow snow gets caught inbetween, and now i'm on something too steep and my skins are falling off! although, after reading the learned comments on this board, i think i need to carry some kind of tape (athletic, duct, something) for this.

how about when the camel back freezes and you're desperately inhaling for a sip of water??? that sucks too. stop, unload the pack, bite the tube like a rabid dog.

and yeah, when you're pooped, you're pooped. i hate that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:19 am 

When I'm planning on some new terrain because the snowpack is stabilizing & the weather is supposed to be right .... and ... the (^(^*^%$%$%!!! phone won't quit ringing with whiney ppl that need work done & my schedule is damn full next week & the only day I have to get it done is TODAY!! when I should be in the mtns in that new terrain !!!! AAAAGGGGHHH!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:18 am 

I hate it when your not paying attention to the terrain and it 'suddenly' gets steep. Then your stuck, trying to traverse a steep slope, not wanting to move, wishing for your crampons and balancing on your edges staring at the forest below you.
Then as you've always feared - the skis/skins loose their grip on the slope and your zipping down with your useless boards in tele mode flopping all around. The ice axe in your pack seems so far away. Who uses an ice axe for skinning...?
As the woods are getting closer, you start to try to roll out of the way of the first set of trees. Then you are whipped around and now are heading for the forest head first. Picking up speed. The strong desire for your ice axe is now replaced by a strong desire for your helmet.
Struggling frantically to get your feet back under you finally works and the first set of trees goes whizzing by just a few feet to the right. As you coast into the meadow you where aiming(struggling) for and finally stand up, an overwhelming sense of relief(luck) washes over you. "I'll never do that again." you say to yourself.

I HATE IT when that happens!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jibmaster/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:13 pm 

How about when you and a friend plan a trip up a classic line for the next day then your buddy mentions it to a friend then, through the grapevine everyone knows where you are going the next day and wants to join you. Last year we had 8 people wanting to go and I just ditched them all and went solo somewhere else.

Dog crap and postholes suck too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:20 pm 

light uphill winds while my bc partner behind me has ass straight from Dante's lair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:26 pm 

I hate it when we have years like this and the damn snow won't shut up(whoomphing). Oh and when your stupid AT buddies so graciously volunteer to break trail with thier ridiculous skinny skis only to leave you to "re-break trail" :wink: /heavy sarcarsm/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:51 pm 

Mine is when you see other people, say hi or share a smile and they ignore you and walk on by. I always feel a bit of pity for people like that, must suck to be them.