Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tips please for a Newbie - skinning
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:58 pm 

Hey Guys:

I am new to the forum and relatively inexperienced with splitboarding ( 1 week long and a couple of day trips to date).

I have managed to pick up some great tips and info from the site and think it is awesome that the community is out there. I even got out on a day trip last weekend and referred the site to a splitboarder that was there.

I am having a challenge at the moment with regards to skinning generally on the way out. I was at Burstall Pass, AB at the weekend and the skin out involved some terrain that was not long enough to ride out through but was steep enough, long enough to cause me a challenge heading out in split mode with skins. (At least I learned how to hit things when in split mode!! mainly the floor!!)

Since I have never used ski's an have zero skiing ability I found it the hardest part of the day. The other splitter here used cross country ski wax as opposed to skins on the way out. Is this something most people do as I have never seen it before??

Any tips on travelling in this type of terrain or is it just a case of learning to ski or putting up with smashing into every tree and rock on the way out !!!

Cheers,

KAV........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:36 pm 

I think most of us stuggle with skinning downhill to varying degrees. I've definetely ate shit a few times. I started splitting 3 seasons ago and have to say that it gets easier. Keep your weight back and point em. Don't forget about the snow plow (point your skis like a V but don't cross the tips). I only take my skins off if I'm on a mostly flat, pretty easy track. If it's too steep I won't be able to climb and if it's mostly downhill I'll get going to fast and wreck.

Have you had any icy traverses yet? Those are even more fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:30 am 

Hey EcoBrad

Thanks for the tips. Guess I'll be spending a couple of weekends at the Canada Olympic Park practising my new downhill move on the 100 ft ski jump they have there!!!

I was thinking of taking the split out a few times at a local resort and just practising a few gentle downhill runs to get some more confidence travelling this way.

Not done an icy traverse yet but had the pleasure of a chalky wind scoured traverse on Saturday. Not exactly the stuff dreams are made of!! I'm thinking of investing in the split crampons and have been following the recent threads on this. Do you use them??

Thanks again for the tips Bro. I'll keep ya posted.

KAV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:59 am 

My advice to you KAV is based on my recent trip to Teton Pass. Me -a california splitter visiting with the Local Lander crew. These guys are good. They live there. I have been doing this split thing a few seasons and though Im not a newbie, like you Im not a skier. I was having a great day. New territory great snow and we were making good time. Then we came to the "downhill" skin. I watched the others as they decended down the ridge a bit, slightly downhill and fairly long I was ready. One by one they magically glided through the snow. Now my turn. Slowly I start down.....feeling pretty good....picking up a little speed....wedging just a bit to control speed...getting faster...felling ok...getting faster...riding in the backseat...faster...faster...oh shit Im out of control....oh shit...out of control..totally...and them BOOM. The ground. Yep happens to a lot of us... Just dont do as I did. Keep your composeure. Squelch that urge to yell out as loud as you can...FUCK.......cause #1 It wont help ...and #2 On the plane ride back you tend to dwell on yelling "fuck" so loud in such a pristine place.

Thats my take on it.
My advice? Keep practicing and dont yell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:47 am 

Practice, practice, practice, and you'll get the hang of it. Try keeping skins on to slow you down, aim for powder on the sides of the trail and it will slow you down, and the "snow plow" Eco mentioned will definately help. Sometimes I'll have my right foot slightly behind the left (kinda like a tele stance) and it helps with stability. Your poles can also help keep you vertical. Plan on spending time on the ground, I think we all do.

Post subject: Re: Tips please for a Newbie - skinning
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:36 am 

KAV wrote:
...other splitter here used cross country ski wax as opposed to skins on the way out. ...

I was thinking about this the other day, on a long slog out. Has anyone tried this? I followed some pinheads recently and they didn't use skins at all, just wax and supremely mellow acents. The wax didn't seem to affect their descent, which started me thinking...
cheers,
gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:31 am 

I've used xc ski wax for splitboarding and know of a bunch of people who have for ATs. So far i've only used it for Burstall and Roberston, since the approach is pretty long. It saves time when you can glide most of the way out and there are only mellow uphills. It will take some practice to get the kick glide, but until then go hard with the double poling.

I've done this only on the way out, since I was concerned about the wax coming off onto the skins. Anybody try putting the skins over the xc wax?

"I followed some pinheads recently and they didn't use skins at all, just wax and supremely mellow acents." - InTheMountains

I've also heard of some older skiers going skinless and only wax while looping mellow terrain. Saves a lot of time on the change over.

Another alternative is to get some spray on glide wax for the skins. I rode with a skier who did this and left his skins on the whole time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:40 am 

Has anyone had any success trying to make tele turns on a decent?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:36 am 

Yo Kav,

Another trick is to use poles. You are no longer a traditional snowboarder, so its ok. There are some areas I tour where the return route is a partially snow covered 5 mile single track that keeps you on one edge for most of the time without much descent. I can board way better than I can ski a split.

Using poles can also give you a tripod effect and make it easier to skate across short flat sections where you would totally post hole. Or you can descend with them deployed and push up some more speed to carry you through the flat.

Soon you will be noticing the spots you might get stuck in on your approaches. It is more or less painful depending on who is in your group. If it is a bunch of tele skiers that like traversing you may be playing catch up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:04 pm 

KnuckleDragger wrote:
Has anyone had any success trying to make tele turns on a decent?

I can do a "sort of" tele turn... My "stable" position on a downhill is like telemarking... but i can't do a switch to the other side "while sliding"... This means that i almost come to a complete stuff before i transition to the other "turn". I deep pow when you're in first tracks, i lean a bit backward but never do a "plow" (or v-shape) type of thing... The boards are soft enought to give you some lift and get you going just fast enough...

It really help if you have a skiing background... I've been snowboarding for 19 years now... but i always do a couple of days of skiing just to get me back in "shape"... I've never done telemark... I would love too... Just never had time to try...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:05 pm 

the steeper the descent the easier the turns. before i swithched to a hard boot setup i was able to make fun tele turns, in fact i've been known to go out and never transition to a snowboard, just ski the downhills. Did it once (with hard boots) in about a 400' section of ~30 degree slope through trees and it also worked fine...perhaps better than the softies.

As was said earlier...the icy traverses are the real monster...however the crampons work wonders for those conditions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:21 pm 

Ill second the keep one foot back from the other with your trailing knee slightly bent technique. You could go out on cross country skis and practice on some steep hills. The best thing you can do is not panic and try to hold your composure, like your the coolest mofo on the trail- even when your faceplanted.