Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ride quality: Burton Vs. Voile FR?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:04 am 

Hi all,

Fairly new to posting but have tried to read up as much as possible.

I rented the FR and the S about 3 years ago and I know a lot has changed since then with both.

Which board is going to provide the best ride quality? I know this can be subjective to conditions and the individual but I am trying to decide if the Burton is worth the extra $$$. The NS are too much for me to throw down. As much as this seems to be a thread of which board should I buy I would really like to get a better understanding of which board rides better and why.

I live in Jackson, WY and will mostly be riding pow but the hard pack and windblown is always a possibility. I'm 5' 10", 150 lbs. I ride a 156-158 on the normal resort days and 161 on pow days (mostly all resort). If I got the FR I would go with the 166cm and if I went Burton I would get the 162cm. I know Voile will be up next month but not sure I can wait that long to demo.

Sorry for the long post but thanks for the help in advance. :?: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:23 am 

I can only offer advice on the Burton as my Voile is the 171 mountain Gun. When I know I will be riding powder I choose the burton. I have the 2005 model and have converted it to Voile hardware . I have the Burton S 165. I do think the true measurements are 162 however. Basically this is the Burton Custom split down the middle. If you like the waythe custom rides you will like the S. But again I have never been on a freeride so I cant tell you about them. Except to say that Voile prouducts are HANDS DOWN a better built product and you will get support from Voile. If you want to try out a freeride I would PM Karma Surf and ask him to bring an extra to scrubfest and then on Saturday Feb 24th I would drive over to Togwotee Pass and check it out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:42 am 

Thanks for the feedback, Patroller. Hopefully I'll be able to make it to ScrubFest if all goes well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:51 am 

DJ announced a couple months ago that this years Freeride has been stiffended up. Very few people have ridden it, unless you hear from one of them, opinions will be all speculation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:32 pm 

I did read that. I guess I was under the assumption that there were a good number of splitters riding the '06-'07 product. Thanks for the heads up and will keep that in mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:58 pm 

I have one of the new Freeride 166's. Unfortunately, It's the only split I've ridden so I don't have anything for comparison. On powder or what we call 'powder' in the PNW 90% or the time, it rides great. I don't notice it being especially soft. If I had to do it over, I might have gotten the 173.

On hardpack when making turns at speed, it can get a bit sketchy. Basically my 'scary speed' is much lower than with my normal board(s). Go figure, the split has a, hmmm, split right down the middle...

Caveat - I'm 175lb and I usually ride longer pretty stiff freeride and alpine boards with very poor technique :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:33 pm 

I've ridden the latest gen Burton 162 for the last 2 seasons as my anytime-anything-go-to board. I also have the new Voile FR 166 that I'm hoping will take it's place.

I'll let ya know more when I get more time on the 166.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:27 am 

BC, Interesting that you hope the FR will take your Burton's place. I was kinda under the impression that the Burton was a "better" quality build and ride. I think you are probably the one who knows what is up in the world of splitting.

Based on the few replies I'm leaning towards the FR 166.

Thanks to those that have posted and helped me out. I look forward to seeing what others have to say from hear on about the new FRs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:59 pm 

I have really enjoyed my Voile boards. Super bomber and so much fun to ride. I haven't ever ridden a Burton, so I am biased, but their boards hold up. I absolutely love my 171 Mountain Gun. It rides perfectly well in powder and can stand up to less than ideal conditions. You easily get your money's worth with their products. The customer service and attention you get cannot be beat. Hope you can come over to ScrubFest and see for yourself.
Just my .02 cents.
WSR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:24 pm 

Thanks Wyo. I too hope to make it over to Scubfest. I think that the Voile is sounding like the better choice and it's cheaper. Sweet deal guys!

Thanks for your help

Post subject: This thread is now worthless!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:56 pm 

The new Mojo board looks to be the answer to all of our problems. I guess I'll demo one a ScrubFest and see how sweet it truly is.

Thanks again to all those who contributed to the thread!