Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:38 am 

I have a great older patagonia jacket Gore-tex that has internal pockets that are barely big enough for a skin in each side. If I am wearing a different jacket, I just put on my pack, snap the waist belt, and drop the skins in the front of my jacket. Either way makes me look pregnant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:51 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:52 pm 

the warmer your skins are the better. if you use bibs they'll sit perfectly above the waist belt of your pack, as mentioned above. the split crampons seem to be a little over kill, and only needed when good skin technique is failing. take your boot crampons and leave the split ones home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:19 pm 

Sorry for this off topic diversion. I get the feeling touring in the Alps is a bit different to the States. You guys seem to have it pretty good in some respects.

>the split crampons seem to be a little over kill, and only needed when good skin technique is failing

They sure are big, but in some conditions around here they would be vital. We unfortunately traverse steep hard packed wind blasted ankle twister terrain half the time. To be honest, I'll take my gnarly snow shoes rather than skin on those tours. Man, I have seen some AT skiers really struggle... I'd hate to think how hard it would be on a split.

>I only put my skins in my pack when I am positive that I will not have to put them on again

Lucky for some ;). I have never (not once) had more than one 'run' in a touring day. The sun rises, I go up, then I ride down, then the sun sets: one descent per touring day. You guys have it too good if you are going up-down-up-down in a day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:50 pm 

Quote:
How do you carry your skins inside your jacket? I've never had a jacket with an inside pocket big enough to hold skins.

I have this map case http://www.rei.com/online/store/Product ... REI_SEARCH

which I put a strap on and wear around my neck under my jacket. I stay dry and the skins stay warm...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:54 pm 

I think the skin-in-jacket thing definitely depends on the climate. Here in California I'm almost always fine with the skins in my pack because it usually not that cold.

And Damian - I also use my voile crampons a lot for boiler-plate traverses and crud-on-crust situations. I'm usually more likely to carry the splitboard crampons than boot crampons. To each his own!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:38 pm 

Yeah, it's (usually) not that cold in our maritime climate either. But it still takes me and a friend to get the damn things apart. I did a few solo laps at a closed resort a while back and my legs were fine but my lats were sore the next day...

I'd thought of a small waterproof bag or somesuch but it's one more thing to carry.

Thx,

T.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:36 am 

Just wanted to point out that the trick to good "pack organization" are the use of STUFF SACKS. (regardless of the size of the pack)

In the picture below it would be quite a chore to try and fit all the loose items into the pack in an organized manner. However, with the use of stuff sacks it becomes very easy.

My method goes like this.

One large-ish stuff sack at the bottom of the pack. This sack holds my extra layers like down jacket, extra gloves, beanie, socks, etc. It also usually holds my shell jacket and descent gloves.

The next stuff sack is slightly smaller and holds items like my repair kit, first aid kit, goggles, (stove if I take it), headlamp, compass, etc.

The last stuff sack on the top is the smallest and holds my lunch and any other loose items.

My skins and boot crampons (I don't use the board crampons very often) would typically go in the front of the stuff sacks or in between them.

So now what was 10-15 loose items are now cleverly simplified and organized into 2-3 items. When I open my pack, there are literally just a few main things inside with the individual items inside those. Not only does this help with organization (certain sacks hold certain items) but it also compresses the items to their smallest form allowing me to take a smaller pack. A smaller pack means less weight and a more enjoyable descent.

My .02 cents. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:21 am 

What's that big red inflated pillow looking thing in the back ground? That's as big as the 14L pack on its own ;)

I am surprised that you can get an alu cup + boot bindings + gas tank + puffy jacket + spare goggle into a 14L pack. Those things combine to make quite a big of volume. And on top of them you have the other basic stuff (skins, spare layers, water, food etc).

I gave up on the Osprey packs (25+5) for lack of easy open space access. It may hold it all, but getting into the thing was a hassle. I like the Deuter back protector series of packs for very uncluttered interior space access, like opening a clam shell. Plus they have an awesome strapping system for times when the board in on the back, which if I had my way would be for half of every tour (too steep and long to skin, too high or sketchy to do the transition at the top).

Agree on the stuff sacks. I like them a lot.