Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Prepping for first day out
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:07 pm 

Hey All,

I am new to both splitboarding and splitboard.com but this place has tons of good info. Here is my first of I am sure many questions...

I bought myself a Prior Khyber 165 this past friday night. I took it out at the resorts (Vail) over the weekend to get used to how it rides. (The thing is absolutely awesome!) Tomorrow morning my buddy and I are heading up for some early, early morning turns (East Portal in the Indian Peaks).

Is there anything that you wish you would have known before your first day splitboarding? I have been on a splitboard once before, and am somewhat comfortable skinning and using the interface. I have read the splitboard 101 stuff, some of the threads, and taken an avy course. Any other nuggets of wisdom you want to share before a gumby's first day out?

Thanks for the advice,
gnubbs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:15 pm 

Yeah, stay below treeline around East Portal. I triggered a small release being a few feet back on top of on open slope. Stuff is tender right now. Plenty of good stuff to drop in the trees there anyway.

Otherwise, make sure your skins fit and figure out how you want to fold them etc. Don't put your skins on backwards either. I manage to do this once or twice a season it seems like...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:21 pm 

Killclimbz wrote:
Yeah, stay below treeline around East Portal. I triggered a small release being a few feet back on top of on open slope. Stuff is tender right now. Plenty of good stuff to drop in the trees there anyway.

Yeah. We are planning to keep it very low key and conservative with the current snow pack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:41 pm 

Dress light for the way up,you'll sweat. Use your vents. Use BD expedition poles. Use light gloves and maybe a sweat hat for the way up too. Bring sunglasses. Ummm dont forget your skins. Enjoy,splits rule.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:46 pm 

As splitfire said ,dress lightly. You should be freezing at the trailhead so you dont burn up. Pace yourself, dont burn out early.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:01 pm 

Use what you learned in the avy course, most importantly terrain selection.

Have first aid kit and some basic stuff like duct tape, maybe the plastic multi-purpose ties etc.

Have fun!!!!

I have the 165 Khyber as well and I am sure you will enjoy it in the powder up there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:21 pm 

Yeah, I can totally see myself forgetting my skins... Just got done trimming them and am ready to rock and roll. The idea that I should be freezing at the trailhead so I will be comfortable once I am moving is a great idea. I tend to over dress a bit and then get sweaty and cold. I will give that a shot.

Thanks for the input. I will let you all know how it goes.

gnubbs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:48 am 

the biggest thing that people told me to do, that at didn't do at first, but then started doing once i realized what a good idea it is: keep your poles out on the way down. especially in the trees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:51 am 

gregm wrote:
the biggest thing that people told me to do, that at didn't do at first, but then started doing once i realized what a good idea it is: keep your poles out on the way down. especially in the trees.

?, I hate riding with my poles out. Throws off my balance, swing, etc. I'll pull them out when it's a long variable out track, such as Moffat Tunnel. Certainly not during the getting your turns part. Just make sure you have tri-section collapsables and you shouldn't have any problems with them catching on tree branches and such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:09 pm 

At East Portal, I always keep ONE pole out for the S. Boulder Creek trail on the exit. You can keep your board on the whole way (as much as 3 miles) with a pole and some packed snow.
I learned a valuable lesson there as well: DON"T put your wrist through the strap on trail exits! I once snagged a basket on a shrub, nearly broke my wrist and killed my run.
Seems like there are several other Front Range Khyber-riders. We should all get it together one of these weekends........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:05 pm 

Thanks for all the advice, didn't see some of it till just now...

This morning was great. Skinned to the junction with the trail for Arapahoe Lakes, hung a right and skinned up that for about 0.75 miles. Took a pretty nice (but short) run through some very sparse trees and was back on the S. Boulder Creek Trail. It was an absolute blast and a great way to start the day.

It was nice to spend some time skinning and I am starting to get the hang of it. Consistency in my stride/glide is still totally absent though. Patience... Still have to get used to making the transition from skins to riding. I just haven't gotten the hang of dealing with skins and get them stuck to themselves in all the wrong places.

Awesome morning and I was at work by 9:30 so a short lunch and working until 6pm and I am caught up.

gnubbs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:20 pm 

Gnubbs:

I have been following your thread and it is good to hear how things are goin' on.

I am in the same boat as you and have got my first full day tour planned for next weekend (other than avvy courses and a yurt trip a few years back). I am heading off to Burstall Pass, AB and have just collected a new 170 Khyber split.

This is my first post and likely I will be on again with some q's of my own next week. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:01 pm 

Kav

Good luck! Life is so much better on a splitboard than on snowshoes or boot packing.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier. Riding with a backpack on is kinda difficult. My pack wasn't that heavy (just avy gear, some water, skins, poles, and an extra layer), but it still threw my balance off quite a bit.

If you get a chance I would recommend wearing a pack next time you are riding at a resort to get used to it.