Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:40 am 

It's a damn abomination man. I am up in Anchorage right now and all we've had was one eight inch dump that trashed a bunch of cars. Right now it got so cold it damn near blew all the snow away and just generally sucks. Avies a gonna be ripe cause of this too. It's bull... It needs to melt off this crap and start again. Hope things get better down south for you, but know you're not the only ones out of blow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:21 am 

One 8" dump in anchorage? WTF it should definately be winter there. Looks like we are waiting in a long line here

Post subject: Bitchin....
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:40 pm 

Face it guys, we've been spoiled the last few years.... Payback is a bitch... It sucks...

Anyway, this does bite... Wife and I are thinking about a road trip over the Christmas break somewhere inland to find snow. Thinking Utah, maybe Wyoming... She's not fully into backcountry yet, so it'll be mostly resort hopping...

This weekend I'll do my part in the sacrificing... Looking at building a little bench out of some old snowboards. See if that does the trick... If anyone wants a perfect condition, mid-late 90's Matt Goodwill Morrow 176 snowboard, speak up now. Perfect edges, base, topsheed. Rides like a Cadillac with manual steering... Fun at speed, as long as you don't need to do anything fancy... Think it might become a bench or coat rack soon...

Off to play on by tierney board. At least I can pretend to be carving some snow... that is until I wipe and carve some flesh on the asphalt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:28 am 

Hey Check it out...Florida got some white stuff...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061122/ap_ ... snowflakes
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:49 am 

I've already predicted the onslaught of winter.
From summitpost.org -

---------------------------------
Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:04 pm GMT 

Well, I got some winter prediction observations.

I live in the Napa Valley. The last few winters the snow started flying in mid Oct. and we were skiing by Holloween. During these last few winters, I've noticed that when the cold came early, the walnut orchard that I live in had no color. The leaves would just turn brown and fall by mid October.
I can remember a few years back when there was vibrant and intense color in the trees. Those were years where the skiing didn't start until late Nov - early Dec.

This year the walnut trees are a super bright yellow and a few of them haven't even started to turn yet. The color has been there for weeks and keeps going and going.

Enjoy the beautiful fall we are having and don't expect winter until
- here I go again out on my limb...

the first two weeks of December.

-----------------------------------------------

Of course the limb I am out on seems very thin and brittle. Even so, my inner vision remains clear - winter will soon be here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jibmaster/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:44 am 

Well, seeing as how nothing is happening here in CA, I figured it was a good time to go visit the folks in Bend OR for Thanksgiving. They're getting pounded up here. Rode in a foot of fresh pow at Bachelor today. Probably the same thing tomorrow. Sorry. :)

Might be time to consider a road trip up north. Shasta was looking pretty good on Thurs:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:36 am 

Shasta looks like fort knox. Bachelor must be $$$. Heav was like 50cent on tday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:19 am 

nice thread! we are not doing too well for snow in our beloved sierra. i have faith though. so good to see other regions reaping early season benefits. makes me wanna travel, but im stuck here waiting for snow in ca. so those who have snow go get some turns in and post some good TR's for us here in ca!

ca people - remember last years dumps at christmas and new years? i know i know that was a long time ago but im hoping for similar events this year, pray with me wont you?

yah thanks for the shasta pics jim. glad you are getting some turns in or!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:14 pm 

You guys need to take a PNW road trip! Baker got 87 inches in 5 days! Just a suggestion. I have been considering it and I have snow in colorado . Just not that much. I-5 is a great highway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:47 am 

After 7 great days in the backcountry of colorado in september and october, I had to move back to the sierra for winter. Alas, a WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT 6pm sunday to 12 pm monday! Long term predictions look good, a strengthening el Nino is off the coast my friends, check out NOAA's climate prediction for winter 06/07.

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2006/s2742.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:20 pm 

yeah steepy...i see the updated NWS forecast calls for some snow to be fallin - FINALLY - this coming week in the sierra. looks good, no more whinning and complaining ok? ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:24 pm 

I hate to gloat...........bull, I gotta do it, couldn't get out today due to a trip to the airport, so I had to ride 6 inches of fresh pow out in my FIELD. Nuthin' like droppin in next to the front porch, through the pasture gate for a turn....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:24 pm 

Glad our SLT ski lease runs Jan-Apr.
Just got 2 new split kits and skins today. Woohoo!!