Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: molded my malamute liners
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:42 pm 

So, I took the plunge last weekend and molded the stock liners for my Malamutes in my kitchen oven (gas).

Many posts here and on Ttips do an awesome job of describing this process, but I had never seen it done with these specific liners. I wanted to try linking to some pics, so here's the official TR.

I preheated my oven to 275 deg. While oven was preheating I did some prep work.
1. Duct tape a wad of paper towel for toe spacers. I put one between the 1st and 2nd toes and 1 between the 4th and 5th toes.

2.find an ugly pair of thick socks to butcher

3. Cut some toe caps from the ugly socks. I thought I was cutting mine a little too large but they were a little small. These create a little wiggle room for your toes after the forming process.

Wear a thin liner sock over everything to keep it all in place

4. I duct taped the tongue of my boots out of the way. This helped avoid a wrestling match with the hot liners when trying to insert them into the boot shell

5. I also put a strip of tape down the back of the inside of each boot. This helped the liner slide into place.

The key is to be able to slide the liners into the boot shell without too much hastle. I would practice once or twice with cold liners.

When the prep work was done and the oven preheated, I put the liners on the middle rack, turned the oven down to 200 and set the timer for 10 minutes.

The rest is kind of a mad scramble to get the hot liners installed, so no pics from here on out

I took out the left liner at 10 minutes and got it laced up. I took out the right liner at ~13 minutes and laced it up as well. I think the right liner got a better mold at 13 minutes, so my advice is to leave them both in for at least this long. My boots feel very good up and down the steps of my apartment, although still waiting for some snow for the official test.

Thanks to those who have previously posted on this topic for the valuable tips!

Dan K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:05 am 

Thanks for the step by step instructions! I have that exact pair of boots and had no idea they were heat mold able. Were these boots brand new? My boots have probably around 50 days on them, would it still be benifical to mold them? or are they too packed out by now? thanks

Post subject: Cool...
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:13 am 

Been meaning to do this with mine. Good fit stock, but after having done a similar process with other boots and intuition liners, was looking to do the same to mine this year.

Generally speaking, with intuition based liners, they say you can do this 2 times without any issue, can MAYBE get away with more, but with diminished returns..

As for whether it's worth it to do this to unmolded liners after 50+ days of use, yah, you still can and it shouldn't be a problem.

Just make sure your oven temps are accurate, and make sure you take the time for the proper prep work. The toe work is key, and taping any rough spots on the inside of your shell is pretty key too. The malamute liners aren't as vulnerable as the naked Intuition ones, but any liner in it's hot/molten form is fairly fragile to rips and tears...

BTW, what year are/were your boots?