Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:52 am 

just.....

what terrain do you mostly ride? i'm not familiar with Bertha Pass.
mostly big open stuff?........then stay with the long dong. mostly trees
and tight stuff?.........get a stubby and trade in the boat.

a longer board is great for big open pow, but like most folks have been
saying.......it's harder to turn in ALL conditions that are less than perfect.
get a board that you can handle, cause every day isn't exactly a perfect
one.......especially spring corn. it'll be nice to have a board you can
handle and one that doesn't handle you.

i rode a 165 NS T5 and now a 162 Nitro on lifts. 166 NS split. bindings
set way back (still seems short), but it rips in all conditions. when i let go
and bomb out of control into big huge open bowls i wish i was on a 173
or something bigger, but that's the only time i wish that. all other
times, i'm just fine with the 166. some days, due to avi conditions, you're
restricted to trees so it's good that i have a board that i can ride in tree's a little easier.
i'm 6', 170lbs

what you want is an all terrain board. get an all terrain sized board for your ability.
simple is as simple does....... :lol:

Post subject: Should have got a Never Summer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:15 am 

I ordered the same board I ride at the resort (Legacy 163) for my split so I don't have to worry about this sort of problem.

I'm sure the Voile rides great in the virgin white and light powder of Utah, but in Colorado you need a man's board!

You can get any Never Summer board made into a split, Bently tells me.

You've only got yourself to blame, should have bought Colordao Local (haven't you heard about Utah?).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:53 am 

I bought the Voile because I got it below retail (since I am a patroller). If I could have gotten that good of a deal on a Prior or a Never Summer, I would have considered them also. But quite frankly, they were out of my budget range.

The problem with Berthoud pass (and many other places in CO) is that there is no one style of riding. It usually involves powder above tree line, and lots of tight trees before you get down. It is impossible to buy one board that will excel under all circumstances here. So I have my big board, and I am just trying to make it work for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:01 pm 

hey just_me,
you will adapt!
i have been throwing around a 170 wide board for years and am 5'10" 150#. it took a bit of time, but that has been my sole board for 5yrs.
although i just picked up a voile 173 last night :shock:
just ride and smile

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:31 pm 

Longer = better

Sure, there is likely a point at which this stops being true, but I haven't found it.

I am 160 lbs and ride a 181cm. Everywhere. It is a dream, a true dream. Until I rode a board that was "way too long for me" according to much conventional wisdom, I really never knew what kind of edge hold and stability one could actually expect from a snowboard. Ice? no problem. Crud? no problem? Powder? heaven.

I do believe that I end up working slightly harder in very steep, very large moguls with the added length--but other than that, everything is easier on the longer board. And if it's a split, chances of finding big ol' moguls aren't so good, are they? Tight trees are made easier by the extra floatation if there's powder to be had and sure-thing edge-hold if there's not.

Is there anyone out there who has ridden a longer board--long enough to get used to it--and actually prefers a shorter one?

I rode a 166 voile split last weekend and had to fight to keep the thing afloat. Too squirly, too sinky, too short.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:13 pm 

I'm a tall guy, and I've generally ridden a 172,but I've been scaling back recently...

Since making the transition to hard boots, I've been able to maneuver shorter, skinnier boards in powder... For high-altitude stuff, I want a board as skinny and short as I can manage and still have fun.. I;m thinking 160cm, with a 23.5mm waist.

Zach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:09 pm 

For what it's worth, I started with a 173cm Voile (I'm 5'11', 155LBS). Now I'm using mainly a 160cm Khyber, and I've been suprised how much float I get - doesn't seem like I've lost anything over the 173, but I'm able to turn quicker.
Maybe I'd suffer if I took it out in really raunchy conditions (deep, wet, heavy)... I'll find out soon enough I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:55 pm 

What's your stance setup? How does it compare to your older board(s)? How far back from board center? Are your boots centered correctly on the board (along the heel-toe axis)?

I'm 5'8" 150 lbs and ride a 166 cm Voile. I can speak from experience that changes to stance position can have large effects on the board's handling. Also don't forget a good coat of wax.

de prisa de prisa rumbo perdido

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:24 pm 

I gotta agree with Scribbs, I've been riding a 181 supermodel for 4-5 years and it has been great. even on the mole-hills back in ontario ( it sure did get some odd looks ).
couple of weeks ago rode a voile 166 in about 2 feet of fresh/untracked...couldn't get it to float, even with my stance as far back as i could put it. The set back was limited because of my stance angle ( 40front30back ) which prevented me from going back too far.
i didn't find it too squirrely tho...just too "sinky"
and i had a fresh coat o'wax on that stick too...
cheers,
Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:29 pm 

I find that a moderate swallowtail is "the ride" for float in powder, while on steep or hard snow, I want the stiffest, shortest board I can get away with. I would lump spring corn in with "hard snow".

So I end up with two boards, and being that I hate resorts, they have traditionally both been splits. Last season I rode (and destroyed) an Osin 4807, which is a tremendously fun board in powder, and not too horrible on corn. This season I have a much shorter, stiffer board for hard/steep stuff and will either split my older Undertaker or find a Voile or Prior swallowtail for the fluff. I'm kind of leaning towards the latter due to the stance adjustability -- I have my stance pretty dialed (40/20, sorta-wide, 3-4" back) but not perfect, and it's nice to have that inside edge, too.

If I had to stick with just one board it would probably be between 166 and 172cm, thank god that isn't the case. Provided you can afford it, buy two, one for snorkel powder and one for hard steep chutes. (IMHO)

I am 5'11" and 175-190lbs. depending on whether I'm in shape or not. I've met 140lb. guys who pilot a 195cm swallowtail, so I think it just comes down to personal preference. YMMV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:00 am 

Check your stance width wise. I was having the same problem with my resort board. I moved my bindings all the way back with the heels hanging off the edge. Turns great now. I had monted the bindings in the center of the board and after paying attention while turning I noticed I had slight toe drag, which became more apparent as the snow got softer and deeper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:29 pm 

I had a 173 voile and it didn't turn nearly very well and I felt squirly on it compared to my burton 170. I don't think it's the size difference, i think its just the burton rides better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:40 pm 

Its all about using what works for your own personal needs.

Having said that, I don't think anyone can argue that the trend over the last couple of years has been to downside your powder board. Thanks to specialty shapes (short, squatty boards with lots of taper), you don't need a really long powder board like the days of old.