Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:16 am 

Stupid or not, Colors sell. Voile's losing money and market share. At least make each model in more than one color.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:23 am 

karma surf wrote:
SF, we read your mind- all the skins now come with a larger bag.

:D :D :D
Thanks, man! That's what I love about Voile. I'm sure a change like that doesn't help your bottom line in the short run at all. (No one is going to make a buy decision based on the size of the skin stuff bag.) But you improved it anyway to make it easier for all of us. It tells me that the Voile guys are really out there on their splits, still looking for improvements big & small!
:thatrocks:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:13 am 

Wow, bigger skin bags, snazzy colors...

That's all great and fine but how come our local shop received only half their pre-season order and when they tried to add additional boards to it, not only were they informed that wasn't possible but they would not be getting the rest of their pre-season order. Awfully hard to represent without product.

Pretty weak IMO.

I wonder if REI received their full order. I sure hope not.

Not to mention the "subtle" un publicized changes...

Maybe Voile will tighten up for next year... of course our season is goin off right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:21 am 

huFfer wrote:
That's all great and fine but how come our local shop received only half their pre-season order and when they tried to add additional boards to it, not only were they informed that wasn't possible but they would not be getting the rest of their pre-season order. Awfully hard to represent without product.

Pretty weak IMO.

You're weak IMO. Why bag if you don't know the details? Maybe you should ask questions instead of throwing around insults. Are you saying that Voile's intentions are to sell less boards and screw everyone? How about the fact that Voile make's their boards by hand in Utah and they may have had a hard time getting materials or whatever. I don't want to make excuses for them but give me a break, Voile's obviously trying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:30 am 

I have to second Ecobrad. Voile didn't even make skis this year so could support us splitters. Inventory problems happen to every company. That is part of doing business. Plus our sport is growing which makes forecasting even harder.

Keep up the great work Voile and bring us that tapered board. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:56 am 

Ooh, this is just asking for trouble, and I don't know the details, but...

I'm not sure that it's accurate to say Voile didn't make skis this year so that they could make more splits. I was under the impression that it was a seperate supply-chain/manufacturing capacity issue... But, like I said, I dunno. It could be this, that, or any combination of things.

What I BELIEVE is happening is that Voile is getting hit by the same thing that takes down many, MANY small businesses every year. Growing is hard. The worst thing that can happen to a company is that people want your product, but you can't give it to them. huFfer, if REI did get their whole allotment, it just means that the disparity was an accident, or someone had to make a tough, unpleasant decision. I'm just glad Voile has been able to ship product this year, because I believe they will get through these growing pains. Unlike some other companies, Voile has not been accused of shipping out damaged product.

</soapbox>

We'll all decide which companies to support on our own, and I DO believe in voting with your dollars. But, as I get older I realize that there are very, very few people/companies out there acting in bad faith. The best thing we can do is try to provide honest, respectful feedback, when we feel like someone/thing is making the wrong decision.

Shep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:13 am 

Ecobrad wrote:
You're weak IMO. Why bag if you don't know the details? Maybe you should ask questions instead of throwing around insults. Are you saying that Voile's intentions are to sell less boards and screw everyone? How about the fact that Voile make's their boards by hand in Utah and they may have had a hard time getting materials or whatever. I don't want to make excuses for them but give me a break, Voile's obviously trying.

Easy there jumpy. What makes you think I don't know the details? I wouldn't exactly call my post "insulting", just not the same fake stroke fest everyone else fabricates.

The small buisness I'm refering to is not a snowboard shop but a mountaineering retailer. They sell tele, AT, and splitboards as well as a thorough selection of climbing goodies. They choose Voile a handful of years back because of the quality product and have one of the few rental fleets available in the Seattle area. For a small shop they have had a strong representation of splitboards (particularly Voile) and sales have been high but this year with no warning they can't even complete their rental stock and if they have any on the sales floor, they're shorties. They may have to look elsewhere to fulfill the demand.

I recently roll through REI and was surprised to see a 71 Mntn Gun leaning in the rack. Further inspection produced a decent selection.

If Voile shipped all of REI's boards I do think it's weak to turn their back on the small guy and support the big $ who sell most of them off price after the holidays, making it even more difficult for the small shops to compete.

I also think Voile should not waste their time with new graphics and a bigger skin sack (an item that serves no purpose beyond wasteful packaging) and spend more time producing boards. And although as much as I would love to add another design to my quiver, they should concentrate on fulfilling the demand for their current product before putting lots of energy and resources toward an additional one. If one of their suppliers can't produce, all energy should shift toward finding one that can.

Bottom line: Voile's products are solid, I just don't want to see them turn their back on the people that have helped make them that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:33 am 

Here is the full article from Couloir.

http://couloirmag.com/articles/dynamic_ ... icleID=259

Based on the below quote...I'm not sure how much more committed to splitboarding they can be. 8)

"In the end, the demand for splitboards far outweighed that for skis and production of the skis was cancelled for this year."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:48 am 

huFfer wrote:
I also think Voile should not waste their time with new graphics and a bigger skin sack (an item that serves no purpose beyond wasteful packaging) and spend more time producing boards. And although as much as I would love to add another design to my quiver, they should concentrate on fulfilling the demand for their current product before putting lots of energy and resources toward an additional one. If one of their suppliers can't produce, all energy should shift toward finding one that can.

Bottom line: Voile's products are solid, I just don't want to see them turn their back on the people that have helped make them that way.

Do you really think they sew skin bags on the same production line where they make the snowboards? Do you think that by not paying a graphic designer to come up with a new topsheet design, they will magically have more capacity at the factory? I can guarantee to you that they don't shut down the factory while they wait for someone to mull over topsheet and skinbag design. That would be a retarded use of capital.

Companies have to estimate demand for their products and make capital investment decisions well in advance. Maybe Voile should have bought that extra press or moved to a bigger factory floor last Summer. (I have no idea what limits their production, but those sorts of things usually do it.) Or maybe it makes sense financially for them to underproduce a little this year and exand their production next year. Or maybe it makes sense for them to increase production by licensing other companies to make splitboards, which still generates $$ for Voile without an increase in capital spending.

I'm sure REI is one of Voile's biggest customers. Guess what - in real-world business people try to satify their biggest contracts because, uh, they are the biggest contracts. Maybe it would be more 'core' to make sure all the local shops get their boards first, but that doesn't make it a smart business move. I'm sure that Voile knows that selling splitboards through mainstream channels is the easiest way towards splitboarding becoming a mainstream sport. They get a lot of eyeballs from outdoor enthusiasts when their products show up in the REI or Backcountry catalogs.

It's a bummer that the mountaineering shop didn't get their order filled. The Voile guys are pretty accessable on this board and its easy to get an idea of what they are like. I'm sure they tried and I'm sure they were polite about it when it didn't work out.

BTW, a bigger skin sack serves a useful purpose called 'easy of placement of the skin in the sack.' And I'm not fake stoked on it. I'm real stoked on it. I think it is rad that they continue to improve their products, even in areas where it is not necessary. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:23 am 

Quote:

Do you really think they sew skin bags on the same production line where they make the snowboards? Do you think that by not paying a graphic designer to come up with a new topsheet design, they will magically have more capacity at the factory? I can guarantee to you that they don't shut down the factory while they wait for someone to mull over topsheet and skinbag design. That would be a retarded use of capital.

-No, I was being sarcastic.

Companies have to estimate demand for their products and make capital investment decisions well in advance. Maybe Voile should have bought that extra press or moved to a bigger factory floor last Summer. (I have no idea what limits their production, but those sorts of things usually do it.) Or maybe it makes sense financially for them to underproduce a little this year and exand their production next year. Or maybe it makes sense for them to increase production by licensing other companies to make splitboards, which still generates $$ for Voile without an increase in capital spending.

-Some solid points...

I'm sure REI is one of Voile's biggest customers. Guess what - in real-world business people try to satify their biggest contracts because, uh, they are the biggest contracts. Maybe it would be more 'core' to make sure all the local shops get their boards first, but that doesn't make it a smart business move. I'm sure that Voile knows that selling splitboards through mainstream channels is the easiest way towards splitboarding becoming a mainstream sport. They get a lot of eyeballs from outdoor enthusiasts when their products show up in the REI or Backcountry catalogs.

-Here is where we part. How ever unpopular, I don't want splitboarding to be a "mainstream" sport.

It's a bummer that the mountaineering shop didn't get their order filled. The Voile guys are pretty accessable on this board and its easy to get an idea of what they are like. I'm sure they tried and I'm sure they were polite about it when it didn't work out.

-we're all "good guys". Nothing personal. Still sucked to see them (boards) in REI when the shop I support has little to offer.

BTW, a bigger skin sack serves a useful purpose called 'easy of placement of the skin in the sack.' And I'm not fake stoked on it. I'm real stoked on it. I think it is rad that they continue to improve their products, even in areas where it is not necessary. :D

-huh?, fold skin in half, fold in half again, repeat with 2nd skin, put together, place neatly in pack. stuffsack=packaging. I guess I'm not that worried about the occasional scuff or getting them snowy...

*Thanks bcrider, I'm not surprised the demand is so high... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:45 am 

Quote:
-Here is where we part. However unpopular, I don't want splitboarding to be a "mainstream" sport.

I don't really care if it's a mainstream sport. I just want a good selection of good equipment, most importantly a snowboard-specific mountaineering boot. But Voile gets paid for every splitboard sold and I'm sure they care. Being mad about that is like being mad at the grass for being green.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:09 pm 

-post deleted by huFfer due to typing before thinking...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:23 pm 

*** Post deleted by SanFrantastico - made good with HufFer... ***

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next