Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who makes a board big enough for me?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:35 pm 

who makes a good board for someone whos 6'5 190lbs? Im really interested in the NS t5, but with their biggest board only `72 im wondering if it would be too short..I was riding a 169cm burton last year, and found it was too short off groomed runs..so im wary about getting a 172..any suggestion on boards? thanks!:p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:46 pm 

I think weight is more the issue than height with board length, and I weigh as much as you (but only 6'-1"). My resort board is the T5 172 and I like it for everything (and my split is Prior 172). You will be hard pressed to find any boards much longer than 172 anyway - I mean 2 or 3 centimeters is only about 1". If a board feels too short in pow, you may try moving your stance rearward on the board. Also the width, taper, and sidecut make a big difference in how big the board feels.

I used to have an Eldo 180 for pow days until it got an edge blown out. It felt too big to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:09 pm 

Voile used to make a 182FR, and we may bring it back again. There is just one left on the shelf. This board is new, but was made two years ago, and has the solid orange graphic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:36 am 

Yes, here's a few:

Check out Prior at the top of this page for splits, swallowtails, or a custom board up to 200cm long.

Check out the Voile (page top again)178 swallowtail split for pow float.

A great choice for a multipurpose board (carves and floats well) is the Winterstick Tom Burt 172 (I weigh 220#). The old school tip design pops up like a dream.

Search ebay "snowboard", then scroll to longer than 170cm.
There was a Lib Tech Doughboy 193cm (not mine) for sale a few days ago, looks like it sold.

Anybody remember if it's Glissade that makes the 200cm Tanker?

If float was the issue it's tough to beat a swallowtail, I've got the 195 split swallowtail Voile used to make. I love it except on narrow chutes.

Post subject: Tanker
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:52 am 

Rad-Air makes the Tanker, lots of folks from Bomberonline.com dig those boards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:45 pm 

Are you looking for a split? Or a solid board? Sounds to me if you want a twin tip split that the 182 Freeride is the way to go, otherwise you won't beat the float of the 178 Swallowtail split. A 170 Khyber would be another good choice. In the solid board catagory I think the Rad-Air Tanker is a great choice for you. 167, 177, and 187 come in a wide size, 26.8 to 27.5 waist depending on the size. the "standard" waist comes in 172, 182, and 200 with about 25.5 waist. I have a stack of the new brochures at home for their 06/07 lineup. All the new Tankers have 15/16 mm of taper and are light. Glissade makes their Big Gun in 175/185/195 sizes, and if money is no object, you could have Prior/ Donek/ Coiler make you a custom board, dictate the shape, flex, and build contents of your board. Also, in the solid catagory, Dupraz makes a neat shaped board that is great in powder, and kinda looks like the old Winterstick roundtail.