Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Voile Freeride or Mtn. Gun for big Colorado Rider
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:21 am 

I need to get my Pro form in to Voile before they run out of stock...

Me: 6'2" 225lbs w/o gear. Agressive rider looking for a BC ride that will work from tree'd pow to early summer packed and everywhere in between.
I'll be using my Scarpa Denali TT's instead of my resort softies.

Thanks for your consideration~

~Scary Mc
The Junk, CO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:37 am 

I think the consensus you'll hear from this board, with you being a big aggressive rider, will be the Mtn. Gun. It's a much stiffer board. I remember Wyomingsplit_ride posting a pict of his Voile Freeride bowed as a mfucker while in the middle of a chute. It was not a confidence inspiring photo.

PS I have a Mtn. Gun but have never ridden the Freeride so I'm probably speaking out of turn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:24 am 

The Mtn Gun is probably the board you'll want, but you'll probably want the larger size. It's too bad they don't make a 166.

The freeride works great for me. I haven't had any troubles with couloirs in Colorado such as Dead Dog. Then again there are steeper and scarier lines out there. I think the freeride works for 98% of the conditions you'll get in Colorado just fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:44 am 

You will definitely want the Mountain Gun...this board gets after it, but you have to ride it like you stole it (for me anyway). I am only 185 pds., but felt that the FreeRide was not enough board on firm steeps. The FreeRide is sweeeet in the powder though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:06 pm 

I think you'll def. want the mtn gun, Mr. Scary. I got the mtn gun 171 last year and love it. Its a big ol stiffy. And i'm about 6'1 205. Get used to a heavier ride though. I also bought last year's Burton S-series 162, that i found on sale, for those not so powderiffic mornings. I like havin a lil variety. The burton is no where near as stiff, however. Shake and bake!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:29 pm 

Scary MC-

Consider that new for this season, the Freeride has been stiffened up and the Mtn Gun's have been softened up a bit. There was a large gap between the two lines, and now the gap has been narrowed. The stance insert pattern has been changed on the Mtn Guns and 173 FR as well. There are now 6 sets of inserts for the front and rear foots, making a much needed change especially on the 71 Gun.

Also debuting later this season will be additional sizes for the Gun (about a 166 and 153), and an entirely new series of splits from Voile. This will make 3 completely different lines as well as my fav, the 178ST. Hopefully we'll be bringing back the big wave gun- the 195ST as well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:25 pm 

Holy shit, DJ! Voile stepin up.
karma surf wrote:
Scary MC-

Consider that new for this season, the Freeride has been stiffened up and the Mtn Gun's have been softened up a bit. There was a large gap between the two lines, and now the gap has been narrowed. The stance insert pattern has been changed on the Mtn Guns and 173 FR as well. There are now 6 sets of inserts for the front and rear foots, making a much needed change especially on the 71 Gun.

Also debuting later this season will be additional sizes for the Gun (about a 166 and 153), and an entirely new series of splits from Voile. This will make 3 completely different lines as well as my fav, the 178ST. Hopefully we'll be bringing back the big wave gun- the 195ST as well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:39 pm 

WHEW HU :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:55 pm 

karma surf wrote:
Scary MC-

Thanks for the additional info. I wasn't aware of the changes.

I appreciate everybody's input. I'll buy the beers someday...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:08 am 

Karma Surf,
What's the new Voile series going to be like? A tapered board line up? Sorry for jacking this thread. I'm looking for a new board after the inserts started tearing out on my old Voile. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:18 am 

i heard a rumor voile was looking at maybe something tapered like a khyber, and maybe calling it the "mojo". but it's all totally unsubstantiated and i probably shouldn't even be telling you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:28 am 

gregm wrote:
but it's all totally unsubstantiated and i probably shouldn't even be telling you.

Telling me what....?

Karma Surf, thanks for the phone beta this morning.

~Scary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:48 am 

karma surf wrote:
Scary MC-

Stiffen the FR? Soften the Mntn Gun? Why weren't these changes "released" at the last trade show? Are the Freerides and Mntn Guns that are shipping in Oct the new softer/stiffer models? How significant are the changes? When is this "secret" new design gonna be available (at least the specs...) to us outside the "bro circle" :roll: ?

Kinda pisses me off I didn't hear of the differences before ordering an 06-7' Mntn Gun 71... :x