Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weather omens...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:03 pm 

So I come home from work and turn on the news, odd 'cuz I don't watch much TV, and the story was about the coming El Nino. The lack of hurricanes, blah, blah, blah... And so of course I watch with great interest since last season was sooooo bad. See, around here, El Nino means ass loads of rain at low elevations, mud slides in the canyons, and deeeeeppp snow up above 8K'. The last big El Nino, they had to dig out the ski lifts, and AZ had one of the deepest snow packs on the continent.

And there's other weird forecasts. A local old timer told me last week, that you can tell what kind of snow is coming by how tall the sun flowers are. Some of the sun flowers are taller than I am, and I'm 6'4".

And the Farmer's Almanac is calling for a cold and snowy winter in the southwest. I take the almanac with a grain of salt, they have an 80% accuracy rate.

So I say bring it on. I'd call in sick tomorrow, if there's snow on the ground. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:46 am 

The employees were apparently getting a few turns at Sunpeaks ( in BC ) yesterday.

It's time to sacrifice some skiis ( and akvavit!!!!) to the snowgods...don't want to piss 'em off now.

Post subject: Re: Weather omens...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:29 am 

ricorides wrote:
And the Farmer's Almanac is calling for a cold and snowy winter in the southwest. I take the almanac with a grain of salt, they have an 80% accuracy rate.

80% accurate - yeah, right. And monkeys might fly out my butt. If you forecast "partly cloudy" everyday you will be 80% accurate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:05 am 

There's no brown or black on the wooly worms....they're almost greenish??? Never seen that.

That's gotta be painful KS damn buttflyingmonkeys anyhow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:27 am 

I want this report everyday thru April....
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapCli ... &map.y=153

Just drop the temps about 20 degees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:11 am 

man! don't you wish you could just know?!

but then its the whole uncertainy thing that makes it fun. sort of like watching the red sox. my favorite is when it dumps on a monday or tuesday , gets skied off while i cube all week, and does nothing on friday, saturday, or sunday. hehehe.

so, forgive my horrible weather knowledge, but what does el nino mean for us ice coasters? i can't take another winter like last year. 180 inches, half of which were RAINED right off the "mountains". (yes, i know its time to move west, i'm working on it)

please tell me el nino means it'll snow every once in awhile out here...pretty please?