Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MEXICO IDEAS
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:04 pm 

Hey all,

Looking for some ideas on where to take my wife for our 5th during a week in Mexico. I'm looking for an out of the way place with options for activities; surfing, mountain biking, kayaking...thinking Pacific coast or Baja. We'll be heading out in October minus the little one :wink: I know some of you can appreciate that! Anyway, all ideas are welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:02 am 

Well, I would recommend Puerto Escondido . Its far down, requires a one night stay in Mexico city to get there, but once you are there its cheap. They have cabanas on the beach that rent for 25-30 dollars a night. They all are in a nice little fenced compound with a pool and lots of tropical foliage. The waves are big, consistant , hollow and MEAN. But if you dont want that you can go south to the point at the end of the beach (watch out for sea snakes at the point, yes the poisonous kind) There are two or three great open air resturants and you can do a day trip to huatulco, which has great snorkeling ect. Its always hot, the water is blue and the locals are friendly. Much better than going to that shithole know as BAJA .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:25 am 

Thanks P420.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:01 pm 

I havent been down ther in a while but I have some pictures of the area . Also, the day in Mexico city is nice. Lots of stuff to look at and Mexico city is CLEAN. I mean really nice. There is alot of stuff to see and do in the area. Look up the mexican board of tourism on the internet and you should find info on Prueto and on Huatulco

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:38 pm 

If you're def going to stick to the Pacific, Zihua is a cool little place and very cheap w/ good eats... I didn't get to do any surfing while I was there (fell sick on that bit of the trip) but some people I met said there was awesome surfing about 15 km north of town. It sits on a little bay that's great for kayaking.
I would also second Mexico City, one of the coolest places I've seen, TONS of stuff to do.
But my favorite Mexico locale would have to be Chetumal, right near the border w/ Belize. Sounds like it'd be out of your way but if you can make it there it's well worth the trip.... There's a spit of land north of there that juts out into the Carribean that has only recently seen a little development, so it feels really secluded. Lots of surfing, kayaking, snorkeling, jungles, cenotes, etc. ... really an amazing spot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:14 am 

Thanks a lot for the tips guys! Anyone know anything about Sayulita?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:47 pm 

Manzanillo, Colima is a great place. There is an international airport, and the full range of amenities, from 5 star to no star.

There is a world class/semi-underground surf spot in the area, and with that I may have already said too much. If you find it, you'll be pleased to find inexpensive accomodation and a variety of seafood restaurants right there on the sand.

There are caves to explore, rodeos to attend, waterfalls to swim in, and in general, just great experiences to be had.

You can also fly into Guadalajara or Coilma (capital of state of Colima) if you want a little cosmopolitan vibe. Gaudalajara has great arts and crafts in Tlaquepaque. Near Colima, you can find Comala a great place for Antojitos and Mariachi music.

Colima also has an active volcano that is snow capped parts of the year...anyone for a Mexican split-board first descent? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:51 am 

Thanks 48, I keep hearing good things about that area too. Pretty sure I know what you're keeping under wraps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:39 pm 

sawatchsplitter wrote:
Thanks a lot for the tips guys! Anyone know anything about Sayulita?

Sayulita is pretty nice. Small town, without any big resorts. I think the waves are kind of mellow, maybe up to overhead, but not too big. Which was great, since I was just learning to surf. We were there in late Oct/early Nov, and it was pretty quiet, which was nice. Later in the winter it gets mobbed w/ euros and americans.

I think there are options for mtn biking in the area. We just surfed, went snorkling and took it easy. Oh, and adopted our dog the morning we were flying out :)