Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question about Voile gaskets
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:15 am 

Do I need to use those rubber gaskets that go between the slider track and my binding?

My bindings (Ride Migs) already have a thin rubber gasket on their base and it seems redundant to put another one between the binding and the slider. But maybe that thing serves an important function...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:17 am 

If you use a strap binding with a plastic base I wouldn't use them. The plastic already provides enough flex (and in some bindings too much). If your strap bindings use a metal baseplate or if you're using plate bindings I would use them.

They are mainly for dampening and to add a little flex to prevent breaking the board or your binding (again usually only needed with metal bindings). They also suck up some of the vibration on firm snow.

.02 cents

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:27 pm 

I have aluminum Rides on my Khyber and I ditched the slider plate gaskets.

It really stiffened up the connection between board and binding a lot. I like it that way because splitboards are so heavy that it is hard enough to flex them without a loosy-goosy interface between board and binding. I had a lot of fun carving some pretty hard pack snow with this setup. But there were also times when I hit a big chunk o' something and could feel the shockwaves in my teeth. Just a question of how you like it to feel.

If you lose the gasket, the bolts will protrude through the bottom of the t-nuts and you won't be able to slide the slider plate over the pucks. You can solve that problem by doubling up on the washers. I did a little writeup here.