Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Backcountry Survey
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:59 pm 

I am doing a design project for the University of Utah and need poeple to participate in my survey. It only takes at most 10 min. and is about backcountry snowboarding and gear. Appreciate the help. The address is http://www.ersnowbinding.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:13 am 

Nice. Survey Taken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:47 pm 

Submitted. :)

A couple of random comments too.

Nice job! It's really cool to see you mix your passion with your schoolwork to design something that could potentially save lives.

In the survey it would be nice if you could select more than one binding option. Some folks will use different set-ups for different conditions i.e. softboots for powder and hardboots for spring. The survey should also allow you to select more than one splitboard brand.

I added my comments below from the survey into this thread if anyone wants to discuss the concept here as well.

Good luck with your project! :thatrocks:

If you designed it to work under the binding this would mean adding lift. Generally speaking, the more lift you have the less board sensitivity you have. For splitboards, due to the use of a “splitboard binding interfaceâ€Â

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:50 pm 

Good luck, survey taken. I would love to see a product like this available. You might also consider a design that works with the Voile slider interface, i.e. replacing the pucks. Ideally that would not add any additional lift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:18 pm 

Hey, you working with Melmo? Anyways, good luck. The desire for a break away binding has been around at least since I started paying attention several years ago. Are you aware of the home job release mechanism? That have been posted? I know someone made one commercially for a while too.

Maybe a refresher post of BCR's would be appropriate?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:10 am 

I'm with Jimw on that. Maybe if you designed the edges of the voile pucks to be springloaded so they breakaway with enough downward pressure on the board or something... I don't know... it would have to be reliable, but I think something that releases automatically like a ski binding would be more ideal than a manual release. If it was reliable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:06 pm 

jimw and SF,

Keep in mind that there are more snowboarders than just "splitboarders" that could benefit from such a mechanism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:37 pm 

Yeah - I guess the sledheads and heleboarders have needs too. But even for them I like the idea of a releasable interface between the binding and board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:24 am 

What do the 2 plankers use? DIN 10

Good idea for backcountry use. I'd never use it at a resort.
Good luck on your project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:38 pm 

bcrider wrote:
Keep in mind that there are more snowboarders than just "splitboarders" that could benefit from such a mechanism.

Yeah, but who cares about them! :)

Nah, I'm with you, it would be useful on a regular board. Hell, it could be a great thing if it could eventually be incorporated into *every* binding as a standard feature, like releasable bindings are now in the alpine ski world. Assuming that it was completely reliable. Another thing... it has to always release both feet at once!