Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New direction
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:25 pm 

So,

I bit the bullet and quit working at Couloir.... this was a pretty tough thing to do, because I really enjoyed what I was doing, and Dostie and I shared a very similar vision in a lot of ways.

I did it, because my wife and I have wanted for a long time to own our own business, and the perfect opportunity came along. We're opening an athletic training center in Reno, this Fall.

We'll be operating in about 3000 square-feet, and the facility will be geared towards group-based training... the idea is to offer elite training to anyone interested in it, without having to charge "personal training" rates. The program itsself is built around the olympic lifts (Snatch and Clean & Jerk) and their elements, plus agility training and some high-intensity interval trainng.

Anyway, this is the same type of training that Mark Twight, Steve House and other alpinist studs have embraced over the past 4 or 5 years, so you know it works. So, 2 things:

1. Anyone from this board can come and train at our gym for 10% off our normal rates... everyone gets 1 private evaluation plus a 1 free session.

2. If anyone is in the Gardnerville/South Tahoe area, I have pre-ordered a good amount of equipment to add to my garage gym, and I'm looking for guinea-pigs :lol: between now and October. If you're in the area, shoot me a PM... I'll be happy to train you, gratis.

Zach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:09 pm 

could you elaborate a little on some specific weight training exercises that would be helpful for ski mountaineering...you mentioned clean and jerk...a little more info would be great. i think everyone on this forum was wished at one point, on the side of a big hill, that they were a little stronger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:41 pm 

Congrats on having the balls to open your own shop. As an hourly employee in a dead in job ...I wish I could, or would make that move. I dream of a nice coffee shop with an open fireplace, or a barbque joint with smoke filling the air with flavor. Good Luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:52 pm 

skinjob,

It's kind of hard to answer that question directly... Here is what I have learned and what works for me:

1. The fundamental movements of my workouts are all extremely functional and involve recruitment of multiple muscle groups in the body. EG: Thrusters, push-jerks, deadlifts, squats (front, back, and overhead),Snatches, kettle-bell raises, medicine ball throws, pull-ups, dips, etc...

2. I can train for 2 years and never repeat the same workout... Your body responds best to varied stimulus

3. My training involves varied intensities, intervals, and lengths in order to elicit specific metabolic responses.

Here are a few workouts that I did recently:

Workout 1:
repeat 5 times:
Run 400 meters
15 snatches (135lb)
15 pull-ups

Workout 2:
sets of 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
of the following triplet:
1.5 x bodyweight deadlift
1 x bodyweight bench press
.75 x body weight clean

Workout 3:
perform 8 intervals of each of the following:
Pull-up, pushup, sit-up, Squat (no weight)
Intervals are 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off.... continuous effort for all 32 intervals

If you are well versed in some fundamentals of lifting, you can use www.crossfit.com as an excellent resource. Crossfit publishes a "Workout Of The Day" on a 3 days on, 1 day off schedule. You can also find affiliate gyms on this site... I'm getting crossfit certified in July, and our gym will hopefully be an affiliate.

Zach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:37 am 

Congrats Zach! Your facility is a little too far away for me to check out. :?

So it sounds like Couloir has an opening??? I hear Chris is looking for a job...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:46 am 

Thanks Zach and good luck!!! Crossfit maybe just what I've been looking for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:08 am 

Killclimbz wrote:
So it sounds like Couloir has an opening??? I hear Chris is looking for a job...

:lol: He might want to be able to feed his family though too.

Zach...yeah! Do you have any methods to quit drinking Coca-Cola and candy? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:21 pm 

Drink 3 cokes, eat 4 snickers, then come to my gym for an hour :twisted:

That should do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:05 am 

and people think I'm a freak for running, biking, boarding or doing some sort of gym cardio everyday.

Intervals...brings back memories of high school sports.

Good luck, man. Do you offer life training as well, God knows there's plenty of people in Reno that could use that.

Seriously, one of my long time buddies lives in Reno and is a fitness freak. I'll talk to him about your gym. I know he won't like going inside though. At a minimum, he'll want to learn more about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:59 pm 

Ecobrad wrote:
and people think I'm a freak

This doesn't mean you're not still a freak.

:)

Good luck in your new venture Zach.

Post subject: An update
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:24 am 

So, we're just a few weeks from opening... assuming that the Fire Marshall approves us on September 5th, we'll be operational the next day.

Also, we just turned on our completed website... www.trainlikeitmatters.com

We'll be "blogging" our construction, most of which really starts next Tuesday, and then our daily workouts, etc... when the gym is operational.

Zach