Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: malamute moldable liners
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:38 pm 

So... I wore through the epoxy and duct tape that was holding the heel together on my last pair of boots. :( I saw a good price on a pair of Salamon malamutes and pulled the trigger.

I didn't get much paperwork with these, do you mold the comformable liners just like the Thermoflex ones (225 degrees,12 mins. etc?)

thanks!

Post subject: Malmute Liner
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:00 am 

I am not sure about the temperature specifics, but make sure it is molded in a convection oven not the boot heater styles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:35 am 

The liners aren't moldable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:19 pm 

Ecobrad wrote:
The liners aren't moldable.

If you are referring to another model from Solomon other than the Malamute, your statement may be true. The Malamute IS moldable but only in a convection oven.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:33 pm 

Man, I feel stupid then. I've been wearing mine as is. There was no mention/instructions for molding them with any of the packaging. Weird. They're comfortable pre mold, guess they'll be really comfortable once I mold them.

Could there be a difference in the model years?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:11 am 

Ecobrad wrote:
Man, I feel stupid then. I've been wearing mine as is. There was no mention/instructions for molding them with any of the packaging. Weird. They're comfortable pre mold, guess they'll be really comfortable once I mold them.

Could there be a difference in the model years?

As far as I know, all Salomon boots are moldable. I have owned several pair of Salomon boots from year to year and I had a pair of Malmutes molded a couple of years ago (after riding in them about 100 times) and didn't notice any difference in the internal shaping but the external (how the internal laces/strap wrap/mold around the liner) were much more "fine tuned". In my opinion it is worth it if you use the correct method for shaping, ie convection oven when they are brand new. But good luck finding a shop with one, unless you have one in your home...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:01 pm 

I got my hands on a photocopy of some tips that they send the dealers for the Custom Fit liners..
There's a tiny picture of the thermoforming machine, in the picture there's a pair of complete boots (not just liners) in the machine, it doesn't really look like an oven. The instructions are pretty vague on the heating process.

Paraphrased:
-Don't take matters into your own hands :D
-Wear wool socks to prevent skin irritation
-Immediately after heating remove the boots from the thermoforming machine and close hood
-Loosen laces and put boot on. The boots must be put on immediately following the end of the 15 min heating period
-Tighten laces but not excessively, make sure tongue is in proper position. push back with your heel to make a good impression of the heel and anklebones
-Wait at least 10 min in a riding position while the boots are cooling down
-To optomize results, bend your ankle in the boot during cooling process as if you are riding. For additional personalization, strap in to your bindings to prevent pressure points
-Take off boots without pushing too hard
-Wait 30 mins before riding
-Not recommended to thermoform your liners more than 3 times