Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to attach Burton crampons.
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:39 pm 

I've figured out how to get them in the metal circles behind and below the interface pin holes. Is that it? Is there a way to attach them to the interface so they come up with the boot or a way to attach them to the board?

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:10 pm 

Nope, that's the way they work. And that's their beauty too. They "float" on the surface of the snow when you're moving the ski, and they bite in and are held in place by the pressure of your foot when you're weighting them (with and without the heel lift engaged). The other nice thing is that you can put them on without removing the interface, which is nice when you're already in sketchy terrain, and saves transition time.

I really wish the Voile crampons worked this way. Currently they have 2 modes. In fixed mode, the crampon is attached to the ski and doesn't move. So you get max traction, and associated max interference when moving the ski. In floating mode, the crampon is attached to the interface, and basically becomes useless when the heel lift is engaged. In both modes you have to remove the interface to install/remove the crampon.

I tried to frankenstein a system together that uses the Burton toepiece/crampon with the Voile slider, but wasn't too successful.