Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:14 am 

What are the roads like? I won't drive them for miles on pavement. It wears the track out and the carbides. I don't know the situation but it seems like that the gate would be closed and they are plowing now so there must be a decent amount of pavement. small group too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:18 am 

I think he means wait until Tioga is open from the east side to the pass (Memorial Day at the earliest), and then shuttle people/gear down Saddlebag Road which does not get plowed (they wait until it clears by itself). Last year at the beginning of June very little of Saddlebag Rd. was bare pavement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:48 am 

what matt said. :)

otoh (on the other hand) the road is only 2miles so it might be hardly worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:57 pm 

So , all you guys with sleds. Can you drive along a closed road in winter legally? No Im not the narco ranger I was thinking if thats the case I may be the only snowmo owner in San Diego next season.Course I could go to wyoming and hang with the slednecks also

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:01 pm 

bcrider wrote:
...the road is only 2miles so it might be hardly worth it.

Add 1+ more mile if the lake is frozen solid enough. The Wilderness area doesn't start until the far end of the lake I think. And what's the diff. between a motorboat on water and a sled on ice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:11 pm 

My “guessâ€Â

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:42 pm 

patroller420 wrote:
So , all you guys with sleds. Can you drive along a closed road in winter legally? No Im not the narco ranger I was thinking if thats the case I may be the only snowmo owner in San Diego next season.Course I could go to wyoming and hang with the slednecks also

I don't know the exact situation but as an Angelino sled owner, it's been a good last season. Boondocking rules. mmm....

I've never claimed to not be a motohead. I feel that can be done respectfully of our surroundings, so don't fuck it up for us. :wink:

As far as the lake, the sled doesn't float but if you hauled ass it can skim across the top, even on open water. NO we will not be trying it. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:47 pm 

Ecobrad wrote:
jimw wrote:
Sonora Pass still closed. Tioga still closed.

Yep,I knew that. I'm looking for some fortune teller whose going to tell me when either one is going to go through from the west. That's when I'm 2-2.5 hrs from the promise land.

You shoulda been more specific. :) If that's what you want, here's a guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:03 pm 

dio wrote:
and ok, I'll tell you that Sonora Pass is planned to be opened thursday May 25th!

Sweet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:15 pm 

My understanding is that you can ride the snowmobiles in areas that are not designated as 'Wilderness' Here's the USFS wording:

Quote:
Where can I ride an Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) or Over-Snow Vehicle (OSV)?
OHV recreation is just one of the many uses allowed on National Forest lands. OHV travel is restricted to designated routes. Many routes are open and accessible to those who enjoy recreating on OHVs. It is your responsibility to know and abide by regulations relating to motor vehicle travel. State law requires registration of all motor vehicles before being operated on public lands. You must have either a current Green Sticker or Highway license, both issued by the State Department of Motor Vehicles. If highway licensed, the vehicle must meet all standards for operating on a public highway. Many areas are open and accessible to those who enjoy recreating on ATVs and OSVs during the winter months. Motorized over-snow travel is prohibited in some areas. Federal law (36 CFR 261.16(a)) prohibits operation of any mechanical or motorized equipment within the boundaries of a Wilderness.

For saddlebag, here is a topo map showing the winderness boundaries. There is also the Hall Natural Area, which you cannot camp in, so you probably can't snowmobile in there either (even if it isn't shown on the map).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:22 pm 

dio wrote:
and ok, I'll tell you that Sonora Pass is planned to be opened thursday May 25th!

Hmmm. Decisions, decisions. From the Sonora Pass topo, It appears that you could snowmo up to like latopie lake and get to Leavitt easily from there. I seem to remember tracks out that way from last year too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:56 pm 

and Tommy thought no one loved him. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:55 am 

Hmmm. Decisions, decisions. From the Sonora Pass topo, It appears that you could snowmo up to like latopie lake and get to Leavitt easily from there. I seem to remember tracks out that way from last year too.[/quote]

I've seen some slednecks pictures from up there this year. They had ridden right to the base of Leavitt Peak.