Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Splitting at Closed Resorts
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:04 am 

Does anyone know if resorts allow access after they close? Do they still lease the land and are liable for accidents? Been splitting with my wife and she still snowshoes down since she is terrified about riding down unfamiliar terrian. She would be willing to ride down Sugar and Spice at Sierra Tahoe.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:44 am 

Not sure about Cali, but lot's of people hike the resorts here after they close. If the resort is on Forest Service land you should be ok. They only stitch being is if they have some sort of operation running. You probably would't want to be in that area anyway, so I would think that would be a non issue. If the resort is privately owned land then it is up to the resort if they will let you hike or not. Most resorts are not on private land.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:31 pm 

it no problem up here in WA...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:57 pm 

I know it's common at Kirkwood, Alpine Meadows, and Mt. Rose (NV).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:03 pm 

We can do it at Bridger because it's USFS land but not at Big Sky because it's private land.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:50 pm 

I've been wondering about that all season. There's a small resort 1hr out of Vancouver that was closed because the operator didn't do the upgrades the government required them to do and pulled their lease.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:42 pm 

I've been going to The Canyons and Deer Valley resorts. Nobody bothers me. They are both private property.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:53 pm 

If your gonna poach some lines at a closed resort check with the local law-forest service (who provides the lease), the resort mgmt., and maybe local sherrif's office. In my neck of the woods, usually the best snow and access is from the ski area. I skin up for runs all the time, early season, late season, before/after closing hours. At my local hill, resort mgmt. are known as a bunch of snow nazi's, sometimes closing the access road complete with a stationed sherrif deputy. But mostly boarders/skiers are allowed to use the area's runs.

Infact I'm happy to report, that even with our 2nd worst winter ever, I skinned up for runs after closing, and had some great runs. Best day was 4/6, skinned for and hour, run down 1500' vert in a foot of fresh at sunset. Awesome. What I love about using the ski area after closing, is that it's like having a backstage pass to your favorite band.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:17 am 

Thanks for the replys. I emailed Sierra at Tahoe and they emailed me back that backcountry access is no problem.

Post subject: skinning closed resorts
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:38 am 

After clsoing is the best season of the year in vermont! The sun lasts longer with the time change - plently of time to skin up after work, ride until the sun hits the horizon and zip down to your car at the base! That manmade snow which sucks in the winter lasts for a long time in the spring....

Also, this year, October and November were great before opening although the base can be a little sketchy :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:11 am 

Before the ski areas in PA began allowing snowboards in the late 80's, it was a ritual of spring to climb and ride the slopes on our Backhills and Barfoots after closing. Some of the best turns of the year, compared to the mid-winter golf courses, power line clearcuts and backyard runs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:28 pm 

Just saw this in the news:
Quote:
East Greeley Bowl Cam

Quote:
With the snow melting fast next to the parking lot, Kelly Robbins packs as Tobin Petty, left, apply sunscreen before heading out for some splitboarding April 29, 2006, in Alta, Utah. It will take them a couple hours of hiking to reach the top of a mountain for a 20 minute trip down. (AP Photo/Douglas C. Pizac)

Quote:
A skier passes idled lifts April 28, 2006, in Snowbird, Utah. Many skiers continue hitting the slopes -- even hiking up once the lifts close. (AP Photo/Douglas C. Pizac)

Quote:
A lone skier has the slope to himself April 28, 2006, in Snowbird, Utah. Resorts don't stop people from skiing their slopes after they've closed for the season, and don't charge for access, officials say. (AP Photo/Douglas C. Pizac)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:09 pm 

my friends have been taking their sleds ripping all over the resorts in Colorado for years. Theyjust ride till they get caught then get asked to leave. No tickets. I used to do the same at mt baker and they did the same thing after a whole day of sledding and riding in the bc we would get caught and they would just say we had to leave. Fun stuff, let me tell ya. hiking is usually perfectly legal. It's your national forest after the resort is closed!