Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hey all
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:01 am 

hey, im new to splitting...well actually i havent been splitting yet but ive been snowboarding for 9 years and am really starting to get sick of hitting up the resorts. I love getting into the backcountry and so i will mostly likely start splitting next season. I am not too concerned with what board to get yet. However, I am currently studying manufacturing technology at chico state and so im always looking at new designs and methods of manufacturing. It seems to me that there are soo many areas that splitboards could be improved in, that i just want to share them. I like to take different ideas and fit them all together and heres what ive got so far. Ive heard it mentioned on here that the Dupraz D1 would be an incredible split if 1) it wasnt so heavy 2) wasnt so hard to get and expensive. Im really looking foward to riding one as it looks soo sweet! Anyone tried it? tried splitting it? Anyways, I think that shape and flex would be ideal as a split and the could be built with carbon/carbon fiber for less weight.(more expensive, i know) Then as for the base, i think heres something that all splitters, teles, and aters would love and i hope to see it in practical form soon.
http://engineering.dartmouth.edu/thayer ... -engg.html
This technology could mean no more skins and thus why would someone still want to use the voile interface system (voile, keep this in mind :) ) and an interface could be designed where you would never have to lift ur board off the snow at all. I have several ideas in mind and altho they are relatively simple, they are not easy to describe. This could mean changing from split mode to riding mode in 5-10 seconds and i know everyone here would love that. What do you all think is to come in the future of splitboarding?

Porky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:09 am 

Hey Porky - Very Cool Technology!!! I like the application in footwear as well... imagine snowboard, tele, and AT boots that didn't slip. I work for Kahtoola Traction Systems www.kahtoola.com who specializes in footwear traction, so I forwarded them the link you provided. I think they may be interested or at least get a kick out of the idea... :lol: Cheers
P.S. welcome to the community!

Post subject: It is about time
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:11 am 

Porky:

What's up? I have been waiting for a long time to hear from someone like you. I have been using the same tecnology for ten years and can not beleve that no one except burton's failed attemped has tried to make a new system. I myself have some idea's but by no means am I an engineer or have any resources what so ever. I currently work with Prior snowboards/splitboards and am also a snowboard guide. I would love to talk to you about it some more. I also think carbon fiber is the split of the future. Ski randonae racers swear by it. As far as the electric skin's all I can say is wow!!!!!!!! amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:47 am 

I just tried splitting for the first time on Sat. The first thing I noticed was how heavy they are. Has anyone weighed the plates/hooks/etc to see if machining titanium pieces would help (Considering the price of the Voile system you'd think they were made of titanium)? I guess it didn't help we weren't using very light bindings either. Curious if you could use titanium for edges as well?

Of course the other aspect was the time it took for splitting back and forth (yeah I know we were new to splitting so practice would cut it down alot). The system works, but there must be ways to improve on it. That "electric skin" thing looks very neat, coupled with a better split system it would be amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:59 pm 

Titanium is heavy, very heavy. For equal weight, steel or aluminium are actually more resistant.

And the slider plates are made of aluminium I believe...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:42 pm 

bot6 wrote:
Titanium is heavy, very heavy. For equal weight, steel or aluminium are actually more resistant.

And the slider plates are made of aluminium I believe...

WTF? You must have titanium mixed up with something else. Generally titanium is 1/2 the weight of steel and just as strong if not stronger. There may be some reason no one uses it snowsports, but it's used quite a bit in motorsports, a titanium exhaust for my car weighs 9lbs vs 25lbs of the lighest stainless steel unit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:15 am 

You don't really have a lot of strain on an exhaust pipe...

For an equal volume, titanium is heavier than aluminium.

Depending on the case (especially the strains - flection, traction, ...) one material will be more efficient than the other because it will need less mass for the same resistance.

For traction for instance most metals are quite alike. Steel, aluminium, titanium, you name it.

For flexion, it is interesting to have good traction resistance and low density, because a higher cross section adds stiffness. And Aluminium does just that.

And in the case of a splitboard slider track, the strain case is flexion.

But carbon fiber / epoxy or carbon fiber / nylon would probably be better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:28 am 

bot6 wrote:
You don't really have a lot of strain on an exhaust pipe...

For an equal volume, titanium is heavier than aluminium.

Right, I thought you were saying ti was heavier than steel. I'd imagine al wouldn't be very good for edges. I guess it'd be better to investigate the stepin mods, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:38 am 

For equal flexion properties, it actually is heavier than steel.

Surprising but true.

And titanium has this bad habit of breaking before bending, which is quite dangerous in this case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:44 am 

FYI, The slider tracks are definitely steel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:09 pm 

voile slider tracks? definitley aluminum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:25 pm 

Well then one of us is definitely wrong...

:oops: And it's me. :oops:

I just checked again. It's definitely aluminum...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:55 pm 

no worries :lol: