Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: first ever ACMG certified snowboard guide
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:32 pm 

hI Scott Newsome here just getting the word out that I have just passed the rigorous 14 day Association of Canadian Mountain Guides winter exam on my Prior splitboard. It has been a long hard road to get to were I am now, and could not have been possible with out the help of the late Craig Kelly who was the first snowboarder to ever be excepted in to this elite exam who sadly was killed just months befor the exam. I took the exam last year and did not pass. This Year I was succesful and now has opened alot of doors for myself as well the guiding association and splitboard/backcountry snowboarding industries. This certifacation alows me to work internationaly as well do private guiding and have my own client base, to do trips in and around Revelstoke including Rogers pass as well were ever I am requested. I am currently starting my buisness and web site and will post it asap, for now I can be reached at 1 250 837 5695 or Email: newsomesnow@yahoo.ca ,also check out scott newsome on the Prior web site under athletes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:46 pm 

Congrats! Way to push the sport in a new direction. It's about time splitboard guides that understand snowboard-specific issues came on the scene. If I had the money, I'd definitely hire you to go shralp Bryce. :)

Can you share with us the reasons for not passing the first exam and what helped you achieve success in the second?

How did you overcome the efficiency hurdles with changeovers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:54 pm 

Congratulations, that is an impressive accomplisment.

Post subject: Congrats Scott!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:24 pm 

Saw some footage of you riding on "Sacred Ride" a while back sporting a Prior... Always cool to see splits catching a little film time...

Anyway, congratulations on passing the certification. That's definitely not a small accomplishment. Glad your time and effort has paid off!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:28 pm 

Congrats Scott!!!!!!!! I have been aware of your progress for a few years now. I hope you will find a way to teach your skills to other splitboard enthusiasts through your business.

All of the cat guides I have met over the last few years have been pulling for you as well.

Maybe Buff or Clive up at Revy or the boys at Chatter can provide a place to set up a Splitboard training camp or two. Keep us posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:07 pm 

Congratulations Scott!

We were rooting for you too, way to get it done! 8)

Please keep us informed on your progress and let us know how we can help. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:02 pm 

impressive to say the least. there have been a lot of peoples hopes riding on your shoulders to crack open the door. which, if there in any justice in the world, intitals you to a bunch of free beer.

good luck with your future indevors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:44 am 

Scott,

so cool you're certified on a split. that's great.

can you describe what split gear you're riding on? bindings, boots, mods etc.

we'd all be grateful to hear about your set up.

Post subject: reply from scott newsome
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:55 pm 

Thank you everyone for such nice comments. I would be happy to answer any questions that people may have.
First of all, the first time I took the exam I new that they would be looking very closely for me to do something wrong and weren't likely to pass a snowboarder the first time around. I had a strong exam but I went to close to a cornice short roping a small peak, which was enough to sink me. This year I took what I learned from last year and made sure I did not put anyone or myself in a unecessary risk, as well worked hard on good guiding aplication, meaning the right tool or desision at the right time.
As far as change overs, I pride myself on being fast and efficient and I have been running the Voile system for almost ten years, lots of practice. I also have been puting in the time skiing with my split skiis on the ski hill and some nice and not so nice backcountry runs. No, I do not lock the heel down!!!

My set up is one that I have been using for four years. I cannot find any thing that works better for me yet but I am always looking for something lighter. I use the Switch X type step in binding (with the high back) and Vans Switch X boots with Intuition Scarpa liners. I carry a light pair of Black Diamand boot crampons in case of kicking steps on steep icy terrain, as well as ski crampons. (Life savers). My board is a Prior 176, slight mod to heel risers to fit crampons and longer risers, that you used to be able to get from Voile. I do not use colapsable poles, I use a pair of lightweight Goode carbon fiber, and keep them in one hand. A ski pole is a very valuable tool in the mountains for many different reasons.

Thanks, Scott

Post subject: Re: reply from scott newsome
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:53 pm 

Scott Newsome wrote:
I do not use colapsable poles, I use a pair of lightweight Goode carbon fiber, and keep them in one hand. A ski pole is a very valuable tool in the mountains for many different reasons.

Thanks, Scott

Please enlighten...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:06 pm 

Quote:
I use the Switch X type step in binding (with the high back)

Interesting. Your the first splitter I've heard of using them. My first pair of bindings were Switch and I liked them. I thought the boots would be too heavy for the backcountry (metal rods on both sides of the boot). Switch bindings are definetley more streamlined than straps. I may have to dig into the old gear pile. :D

Intersting about the poles as well. Not having to break down and attach the poles to your pack is definetely more efficient. I don't think I'd like carrying full length poles on the down though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:52 am 

Thanks for taking the time to comment Scott. :)

Interesting stuff regarding your boot and binding choices. I've been using a similar system (K2 Clicker HB) since 98/99 but this year I went back to a lightweight strap system. I've always loved the convenience of the step in and the performance of a traditional binding (with highback). It's a clean system but unfortunately it was discontinued a few years back. Is the Switch system still around? I never cared for the metal prongs that stuck out on the side of the boot. Is that still the current design?

Re the ski pole comments, can you elaborate?

Splitboarders would get nowhere without poles on the ascent but for most of the typical descents (at least for me) they aren't needed. I would also argue that a collapsible pole is more versatile than a non-collapsible pole. Having a ski pole that you can adjust for different ascent pitches is a useful feature.

Post subject: Congrates
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:12 am 

Good Work Scott,
Can you clarify? Are you now a Assistant Ski Guide or a Full Ski Guide? Maybe they will change the name to Snowboard Guide?
I remember starting along this path years ago and would not even be considered into the program because I did not know how to ski...Great to see this progression...Being the first Snowboarder to complete the CAA Level 1 and Level 2 on a snowboard was a challenge...Progressing to a Professional member of the CAA was the next step to finally becoming Avalanche Technician with the Ministry of Transportation for the Bear Pass.
Its great to have this wall with the ACMG knocked down.