Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leather Mountaineering Boots? Bindings
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:19 pm 

I am an experienced ice/mixed climber/mountaineer and have just bought a burton splitboard with the burton interface and have loads of questions.

I am hoping to get a pair of boots that I could climb and board in, I realise they would obviously be a compromise but does anyone have any experience in this?

I was quite interested in the La Sportiva Nuptse's but you cant get them in britain and I dont want to take a gamble buying over internet,. What features, that other climbing boots dont have, make the Nuptse's good for snowboarding?

Am I right in thinking snowboard boots need lateral flex but to be fairly stiff fore/aft flex? If I got a boot with a flexible ankle, such as Scarpa Cumbre, and used high back bindings would that be likely to work?

Also, is it possible to fit plate bindings, such as voile or bombers, too burton interfaces?

I realise there are a lot of questions here but I'm finding researching this subject quite a minefield, thanks in advance for any help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:54 pm 

Read my write up of the Nuptes in Boot Review on this site. I have put about 10 tours into these boots since I bought them and every time I am amazed at the performance of these mountaineering boots as snowboarding boots. After the initial break in period, I can tell no difference between these and snowboarding boots. I love the overnight touring aspect of these boots: the double boot allows for wearing the liner to bed which is great for mid-night p sessions. The waterproof boots and bomber soles are great for "nonskin-nonboard" mode.

As for the binding, I wouldn't recommend a plate binding for this boot. The toe notch doesn't seem deep enough, and the ankle flex is too soft not to be used in a strap binding. I bought mine over the internets and used the La Sportive fit guide and they fit perfect, still.

DB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:31 pm 

I'm sorta in the same boat, though I'm not yet ready to make the leap to a splitboard (too expensive for me at this juncture!). I have La Sportiva Karakorams (leather) w/BD Sabertooth crampons that I use for mountaineering and ice climbing. I have a Nitro Demolition board w/ Drake F60 strap bindings. I'm hoping this configuration will work for the present - my current plans include a day at Tuckerman's Ravine, and a climb/descent of Mt. Shasta. Has anyone boarded in their mountaineering boots? I understand the Nuptse's are great, but my leathers are single layer, and not insulated. I've strapped into my board with them in my living room and rocked edge-to-edge and hopped around, and it doesn't feel too bad. But I know the true test will be riding them. Just hoping to get some input from anybody who may have tried before. Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:14 pm 

brooklynboarder, better have some supportive straps for that setup. I've tried leather once and the toeside was barely doable, and heelsides were nigh on impossible.