Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Skin glue weirdness?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:51 am 

Last year my Burton skins died on a trip. Just completely stopped sticking. I had the same thing happen with a second pair, so I decided to reglue them with "real" glue. I didn't trust myself doing the job, and I figured it was worth the price to save myself the time and mess (and ineveitably having to "redo" things due to screwing up the first time), so I sent them to Skinny Skis in Jackson after reading some good reviews on their skin reglue jobs. I included the BD glue renew sheets that I had bought when I thought I was going to do it myself. They came back and looked great.

I've now used one pair for a few tours, and the glue is doing some weird stuff. It is super sticky, which overall is great because I don't have any problems with it not sticking to the board. However, I've noticed that there are some areas where the glue is coming off the base of the skins. It seems like this might be happening when I peel the skins apart. I typically fold the skins in half and stick them to themselves. It is seriously difficult to pull the skins apart again, and when I do the glue sticks to itself in long strands as it's being pulled apart, before finally releasing. It seems that sometimes the glue is more apt to stick to the glue on the other half of the skin as it's being pulled as opposed to the base of the skin on the side it's on (does that make sense?). So I'm wondering:

- Is this normal? :?

- Any suggestions for improvement? I have tried the BD cheat sheets, but beause the glue is so sticky it just pulls the black stuff off the cheat sheets or pulls them apart completely.

- Is there any problem storing the skins at room temp? The glue definitely seems stickier than when I'm out in typical touring temps.

Here are a couple pics. First is trying to show how the glue sticks to itself as the skin is being pulled apart. Kinda hard to get in a photo with only two hands:

Here's one showing the bare spots where the glue has pulled off the skin base:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:01 am 

it seems to have too much glue, i mean a thick layer.
but i'm not an expert, i just did it once with relative good results.

to avoid applying to much glue use coil glue

Ra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:25 am 

Interesting dilemma Jim. My skins are just about shot now...seems like from what I've read that this re-gluing skins things is a pain and w/ limited success. I'm almost tempted to just buy a new set.

hmmm....I've heard of some people throwing them in the freezer at home.

Man, nice TR's this season too. I need to get up there and pedal the bike w/ you sometime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:58 am 

mtnrider wrote:
I need to get up there and pedal the bike w/ you sometime.

Careful, you might end up like me last weekend. I was inspecting the DH course for gopher holes on the practice day. Yeah, that's it...

Hey, did I just hijack my own thread?? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:08 am 

Yer still using your Burton skins???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:14 am 

I have reglued a few pairs of skins and have to wonder why so many people say it's a PITA. If you use black diamond gold label skin glue I found it very easy to do(and I am pretty relaxed on my maintenance). I have to agree with raul, though, and say it looks like they put a pretty damn thick coat on. If you use a heavier brown paper and iron off the old glue it comes off with a couple passes of the iron. Then you just need a little patiece when applying the new glue. Gold Label uses a little brush to apply the glue which is fine for spreading it on the skin, but I found the key is to use a piece of cardboard to smooth out the new glue evenly across the skin. Remeber it doesn't need much more than a thin coat and you can always wait for the first coat to dry and reapply if necessary. Also I haven't had much luck with the coltex glue strips, but that is just me. Clear as mud?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:15 am 

I tried the glue strips last year and had the same problem. Even after I thought I was sure I had the right heat and really ironed the hell out of em so they stuck to the skin.

No dice. Had the same thing happen that you are showing in your pic. So I scraped off the strips and used the glue renew instead. Much better success.

I have lots of glue strips for sale if anyone is interested. :wink:

Maybe you could try to heat and iron them again, but if a shop did it and it isn't sticking, I'd try to work something out with them.

Better yet, get some tractor skins. I got some voile 120 mm if you're hurting for a pair for TPR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:27 pm 

not sure if this is entirely related, but it has to do with skin glue doing funny stuff.... mine came off the skins and stuck to the base of my board in a few places after leaving the skins on in the sun during a lunch break... any suggestions for getting the glue off? It doesn't seem to be too much of a problem since it becomes pretty slick when it comes in contact with snow, but I'm sure my board would like to be clean again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:00 pm 

bcrider wrote:
Yer still using your Burton skins???

Apparently so. :!: The problem I had with them in the past was not the plush, but that the glue sucked and would quickly lose its stickiness. So I figured regluing them with real glue would fix the issue.

powderjunkie wrote:
Had the same thing happen that you are showing in your pic. So I scraped off the strips and used the glue renew instead. Much better success.

Uh... so you're saying you had better success with glue renew? What were the "strips" you used initially 0 the coltex strips referred to above? I (well, the shop that did the work) used glue renew. It did seem like there was a lot more glue than was initally on there, but it didn't seem like it would be a problem. It certainly was a hell of a lot stickier than the old glue, which was my main concern from before.

I would not be surprised if this were just another area in which the Burton skins suck - the glue doesn't stick to it well.

lifelinksplit wrote:
I have reglued a few pairs of skins and have to wonder why so many people say it's a PITA. If you use black diamond gold label skin glue I found it very easy to do(and I am pretty relaxed on my maintenance).

I touched up my skins with BD Gold Label glue manually last season before I had them reglued, and it was OK, but I thought it was a pain. Mainly just because it took time, and I don't seem to have much extra of that these days... so I figured for me it was worth paying a bit to save the time and also have someone more experienced do the job. Maybe I'm just lazy. :) Good tip about using cardboard.

powderjunkie wrote:
Better yet, get some tractor skins. I got some voile 120 mm if you're hurting for a pair for TPR.

I may end up doing that. I'm set for TPR though, thanks for the offer. These skins do still work, it just seems that I'm getting more "holes" and eventually they will stop working. I also have an extra pair that was also reglued with glue renew which I haven't used yet. I think that should do me for at least a few days! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:16 pm 

sorry for the confusion. I initially used the BD transfer strips (that you linked) and they didn't stick well to the skin. So then I used the brush on gold label glue touch up stuff. Applied 3 thin coats and let them dry inbetween coats. Working good so far this season but some areas are turning milky white, but not pulling off or anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:44 am 

Update: I contacted Steve at Skinny Skis in Jackson (the guy who did the reglue), and he had me send the skins back and reglued them for no charge. Nice guy, and BTW he just skied the Grand Teton. They seem to be working well now, but they are still really sticky. He said this is pretty much par for the course (the stickiness, not the coming off the skin part) for using glue renew strips. You do end up with a pretty thick coat. He said they use the strips when doing reglues for customers because it is a lot more efficient than paint-on glue like Gold Label, and less toxic. However it sounds like the Gold Label does end up working a bit better. I'll probably use that next time.

I'll probably end up getting some new skins altogether at some point, so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with other skins besides the Voile tractor skins? Opinions?

rokstar wrote:
not sure if this is entirely related, but it has to do with skin glue doing funny stuff.... mine came off the skins and stuck to the base of my board in a few places after leaving the skins on in the sun during a lunch break... any suggestions for getting the glue off? It doesn't seem to be too much of a problem since it becomes pretty slick when it comes in contact with snow, but I'm sure my board would like to be clean again.

I would think that the usual wax solvent for cleaning the base should work (I use a citrus-based one). There's also this stuff called "Goo-gone" that works great on stuff like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:09 am 

jimw wrote:
I'll probably end up getting some new skins altogether at some point, so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with other skins besides the Voile tractor skins? Opinions?

I got BD Glidelite 130mm skins on my split and apart from the fact that they're damn hard to pull apart before putting them on the board, they simply rock. Lighter than the Burtons or the Voilés, great grip...

Used them throughout the season without any problem whatsoever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:23 am 

I ended up with 130mm STS Ascensions......killer! Way better than the Voiles. I just put a little "ratail" set up fot the STS with a small screw on the tail of my board. Then detuned the edges so they would cut the sts.