Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - How to get up the steeps?

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:43 pm 

ttriche wrote:
ikkin wrote:
so i guess this is just part of splitboarding, eh? skiers get to side-step up while we scramble...but then we surf on down while they...well...i'll stop there. i ski too. :twisted:

I've never met a skier insane enough to sidestep up a 50 degree couloir when they could boot up it. Have you?

ha! no, and i hope i never do. keep in mind, i live in new england, where 50 degree couloirs are about as common as a doubletoed avocado sloth. little beginner me was having problems side-stepping up a lame 15 foot patch of snow...on a notevenremotelycloseto50degrees pitch...while watching my tele buddies make easy work of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:47 pm 

Trim tools kind of suck, when you get right down to it. If you've got a steady hand, a single-edged razor blade can provide a little more precision; you put the skin on the plank, shifted over a couple mm to the left, and trim, then shift it a couple mm to the right, and trim, and you end up with a tidy trim job.

The trouble with trim tools is that they tend to break if you strive aggressively for an exact cut. They're better than scissors, but the ideal trim tool would probably be something like a santoku knife (one edge hollow ground, very little variation in width from tip to tang). Of course no one in their right mind would gum up a good chef's knife just to trim their skins, so a 79-cent package of single-edged razor blades, or an sharp old straight razor, is the next best thing.

If someone would come up with a trim tool that didn't snap like a twig when I tried to cut snug against an edge, I would be stoked. Probably wouldn't make any money though, given how cheap a box of razor blades can be had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:28 pm 

ikkin wrote:
beginner me was having problems side-stepping up a lame 15 foot patch of snow...while watching my tele buddies make easy work of it.

Ah...in this case technique is probably the trick. It's like the old Kung Fu TV series...you have to learn how to walk on the rice paper without leaving tracks.

And when you can snatch the pebbles from my hand, it will be time for you to go.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:11 pm 

There are definitely times when it sucks to have to switch over for just a short section. At splitfest on our first tour we were skinning up to a ridge, and there was a section like that, maybe 15 feet vertical. Some people took the boards off and booted, some stuck it out and sidestepped up. I made it with some coaching from Wasatch Don, but it was sketchy. If it had been a big open slope below me w/no trees to grab I would have booted it. Or put the Verts on. Definitely was glad to have the Whippet.

The split crampons are great, but my problem is I usually wait till I'm in a sketchy spot before putting them on... which is the worst place to put them on. Note that the Burton crampons listed before will only work with the Burton touring bracket. I like the Burton ones better than the Voile ones because they "float" when your foot is up, and when your foot is down they are fully engaged even when the heel lift is up. The Voile ones have two modes. In one mode, they are stuck to the board and always fully engaged, even when your foot is up and you're sliding that ski. In the other mode, they are stuck to the bottom of the slider plate, so they're only engaged when your foot is down. Problem is, if you're using the heel lift, they hardly engage at all because they stop where the slider plate stops.

The other thing I like about the Burton crampon is that you can put it on without taking the interface off the ski, which is really handy when you're already in a sketchy spot. I'm trying to modify a Burton touring bracket to accept the Voile slider plate, so that I can use the Burton crampon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:36 pm 

...first, you need to rig up a Spectra sling. Then.....

oh wait, that's for going down.

(not intended as a crack at icebat)
8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:57 pm 

jimw wrote:
The other thing I like about the Burton crampon is that you can put it on without taking the interface off the ski, which is really handy when you're already in a sketchy spot. I'm trying to modify a Burton touring bracket to accept the Voile slider plate, so that I can use the Burton crampon...

Heh. I'm going to go ahead and do the Dynafit toepiece mod on my Mtn Gun, and stick a pair of the B&D crampons on there. They're pretty much exactly what I want, and if I have a burning desire to lighten them, I can always drill them out in non-structural locations. Plus they have a genius feature whereby they come with assorted heights of spacers so that you can match the height to the shape of your boot sole.

It's hard for me to describe, but basically, the Dynafit toepiece + B&D crampon on a split is about as good as I think it is going to get. File the B&D design under 'American Ingenuity Lives!!!1' in my book.

The guy who makes these B&D harscheisen can be contacted at boywdog@aol.com. I ordered a pair for my Mt. Bakers and they arrived a few days after I sent payment. They are a very clever design and are about the same price (maybe cheaper than) the Voile style. Plus you're supporting the same sort of innovation that produced splits in the first place. His design was originally created to provide telemarkers with ski crampons (hence the clever spacer design) but it turns out that they are an improvement over the Dynafit design, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:59 pm 

You have to post some pics of this mod when you finish it! Sounds cool. So when is someone going to make a Dynafit compatible softboot? :)