Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:01 pm 

fowweezer wrote:
How long does the transition from skin to ski mode on the new AT gear generally take (not including time to remove and pack skins, since you'd have to do that on tele gear anyway)??

Check out this vid from last year's PowderKeg for some seriously fast transitioning. They're so fast it's funny.

http://www.pawprince.com/Movies/PowderKeg_05.wmv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:23 pm 

Fowweezer,
Props for even attempting that slog. That was one of my major goals this year. I had planned to do with some skiers, but our full moon weekend was ruined by storms. I did the Powder Keg this year and I was surprised how much of a disadvantage the fat boards were in terms of the skin track, it is alot more work, I had never noticed that before however I was only passed on the transitions and on the flat section where I had to split back to skis and skins while everyone else kicked across. I was wondereing If you had taken your split would transitions been an issue? or could you have stayed in ski mode for the majority of the flats and tree sections. Did anyone ski off the top, and when did you attempt that. Just wondering would like to still get up their this year.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:29 pm 

This thread is depressing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:54 pm 

Quote:
This thread is depressing.

Dude, tell me about it. It's been said a thousand times, splitboard because you love the snowboard ride DOWN. There's obviously more efficient means of bc transportation.

LaughingAtYouClowns wrote:
My observation of skinning is that it is a sufferfest. But so much so that it drives you to skiing???? My suggestion is GET NEW FRIENDS or FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO DO!!

And...GET IN BETTER SHAPE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:21 pm 

Dude. After witnessing splitfest, I would hesitate to tell any Utard to get in better shape. Those people are mutants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:02 pm 

jimw: Thanks for the video. Hadn't seen that yet. And I'm sure you're talking more about WOW, trackhead and the rest, not me. Those guys are pretty incredible.

UTAH: No one skied off the summit, though I think some people did last year. Those that summitted dropped the skis 500 vertical feet below the top or so. It was pretty scoured up high, and it was incredibly windy. This was last Saturday, so I'm sure you know what the wind was like if you live near the central wasatch. It was out of control. The split would have been slightly disadvantageous on the tour, but it wouldn't have been THAT bad. The way up would have been fine as long as you can control the split down 5-6 foot sections of downhill. The way down would have been tougher, but if you're solid on it you could keep moving fast through the trees to get up the small uphills. Otherwise you'd be sidestepping, but it wouldn't be terrible. Definitely a long day on a split though.

If you are going to do it, I'd do it soon. The annual tour is always around this time, and the snowbridges over the creek might be gone soon. Not sure what kind of track you'd have to put in if they were, since I've only been up there once. The 7 people that summitted started between 4:15 and 5 am and got back to the cars between 8 and 9 pm. So generally 16 hours or so on the move was the norm. Prepare for wicked wind at gunsight pass if you do go.

EcoBrad and powderjunkie: I'm not gonna get into a pissing match about my fitness level, but I don't think that's a major problem. I'm not giving up splitboarding. I'm planning to get out even more next year. But when I'm going up to the Tetons for an alpine climb from Garnet Canyon and the ride down is negligible (and not the point) from Garnet Canyon to Jenny Lake, there's not much point using a less efficient system, is there?

Anyways, I think I am going to try some tele gear, since that's what the only skier I regularly split with uses. I doubt I'll pick up the tele turn though. Looks way too crazy, and really not all that fun anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:48 am 

Hey guys, I wasn't calling anyone out or anything like that. My point was that splitters need to be in better shape than our skiing partners. Fitness seems to seperate a group quicker than anything else.

I completely agree that if your priority is not POW/corn that there are better tools.

PJ and I are riders than sometimes end up doing a little mountaineering...in soft boots.

Notice the form.

Shouldn't he be using a Spectra slings?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:17 am 

Quote:

OK, I'll bite. WTF is this all about? Inside joke of some sort?

(Pay no attention to the 'JONG' in the corner asking questions...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:23 am 

Just a little poking fun at our brothers in the A Little Question for the Rap Crowd thread? Basically, a lame attempt at humor. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:34 pm 

Ecobrad wrote:
Just a little poking fun at our brothers in the A Little Question for the Rap Crowd thread? Basically, a lame attempt at humor. :cry:

Holy shit that thread is a cesspool. Whoever thought this thread was depressing clearly hasn't read the one you're referring to.

Thanks... I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:44 pm 

Ecobrad wrote:

Nah, it's all about the free-solo.

Is that pic the top of the 'Y'?

As far as the AT vs. Tele, I have done both and like tele for cruising. But when the conditions get tricky or the terrain gets hairball, AT gives you more control and confidence. Even the best tele skiers make a P-turn or two when the going gets tough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:02 pm 

Quote:
Is that pic the top of the 'Y'?

Yeah, fassy took it. Supposedly he's got pictures of PJ biting the cornice to assist his free solo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:07 pm 

Yeah, I remember Bcrider having me stop *near* the top of that damn "Y" for a picture. I was thinking...hurry the F** up dude... :lol: