Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Prior Khyber 165 / Swallowtail / Freeride?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:57 am 

I ride mainly at Whistler and plan to hit the Kootenays in the next few years. Right now I ride an Option 160 Signature as my resort general purpose board and a 04/05 Burton Omen 166 for powder days. I'm 6ft 165-170lbs. When I'm looking for pow I'm usually looking for nice open bowls not steep chutes, so I'm looking for something that will float nicely in the pow and decent in the trees. I hear people talk about pros/cons for trees and steeps, what makes a good steep board vs good tree board?

Last year I tried an 158 Option Vinson, which I found way too stiff for me, I only had the chance to bring it up in the early crappy season on groomers but I had a hell of a time turning that thing so I sold it. I've had a little toruble with my 166 Omen lately, not sure why, it doesn't seem to float quite as well as I thought it would. Even with the bindings set all the way back, the nose seems to dig in a little occasionally. Last time I was up on a pow day I seemed to have a little trouble turning onto my backside edge that I don't recall having before. What kind of stance do you guys run with pow in mind? I generally run 21/9.

What are you guy's thought between the types of boards and length that would suit me and what I like to ride? It seems there's 3 types of splits, regular freeride with minimal taper, khyber-like board with medium taper, and swallowtails. I'm sort of leaning towards a 165 Khyber since I believe you're supposed to ride them a little shorter, but if I were to look at a freeride or swallowtail what length should I look at? If I can find something that handles everything nicely like my Option Sig, but has excellent float in the pow I'd probably take that.

Thanks in advance. I've been searching through this forum the last few days. I originally was thinking about getting approach skis but it sounds like splitboards are pretty mature now and a better option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:03 pm 

Swallowtails are the ultimate for float in powder. If you're really going to be going after powder, powder, and more powder, get one. If you ever want to drop steep icy chutes in the process of pursuing powder, a more general-purpose board might suit you better.

The Fish/Khyber design is a nice compromise between the two extremes. Personally I picked up a Mtn. Gun, kept my old Rossi swallowtail, and if I find a decent price on a swallowtail split, I'll sell the Rossi in a second. That's just me, though. I know what I want and I generally have an OK idea of what I'm going to encounter when I leave the car. Plus I ride in the Sierra where there is a lot more corn than powder in an average season. When it dumps, though, it can dump big, and having a swallowtail is the only way to go if you want to cruise (fast) in bottomless fluff.

Just my $0.02. If you can demo the boards you're thinking of, do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:09 pm 

Thanks ttriche. A shop at whistler has splits for rent so I'll definitely have to demo them.