Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dynafit toe piece and Voile crampon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:32 pm 

Has anyone ever tried to put the Voile crampon on a board fitted with a Dynafit toe piece?

I was looking at a pic of a Voile crampon, and wonder if the slider pin would fit in the groove in the Dynafit toe piece that normally would accept a Dynafit crampon pin (this crampon is too narrow for a split board)...

Guess it would depend on the diameter of the slider pin.

Hmmm...

Wonder if it would be possible to retro-fit a set of Voiule crampons to make em compatible with Dynafits...

Any advice would be helpful.

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:21 pm 

Check out that CNC online machine shop link that Jack posted. (I think it was Jack...) The pin won't stick in that wimpy little piece of plastic (in fact the plastic bit has broken on many people, judging by reports, so I would not want to anyways) but if you machined an insert of approximately the same thickness as the Dynafit piece, from the two rearmost screws back, you could certainly pin it through. My only concern would be whether it would disrupt your stride.

B&D Ski Equipment custom machines a crampon not unlike the old Skalp design. I ordered a pair for my Mt. Bakers (skis) and will decide after I get them whether to also buy a pair for converting my Mtn Gun, or try some jury-rigged nonsense like the above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:32 pm 

thanks for the info.

my impression from reading stuff on the web about the dynafit crampon were along the same lines as your comments...its breakable.

i think i'll get a custom set fabbed up.

crampons certainly help. Jack kicked my ass climbing at Baker a couple weekends ago with his crampons...maybe cuz he is 21 years old...but maybe the crampons helped too...

scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:07 pm 

haha...hey it's 22 :lol:

yeah crampons are a big help, there is no way i would of been able to get across that traverse with out them. it would of been nearly impossible.

if you decide you want to make some i may be able to help a little bit. have fun at splitfest.