Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A little splitboard story
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:40 am 

My bc partner, Dan, and I have both gotten Prior Khyber splits this year. He has the 160 and I have the 165. We were going to get the NS split from bentley but we were both too impatient and ended up getting them at a shop in breck. We have been on them a ton with all of the great BC powder we have been blessed with this year. 2 weeks ago we skinned up to the top of "shit for brains" our favorite local run near A-basin. Had a great run except for the crazy wind up top. The kybers didn't ride so well on the wind crust but when you got into the choke they rode the pow great. When we got back to the car we were looking at the boards and noticed that Dan's had delaminated along the edge where he had hit a rock (bareley hit a rock) and the abs sidewall was shattered in 2 spots! Also upon further inspection we noticed that the nose was coming appart from the edge for about 3 inches and the sidewall was cracked again! Dan, my partner was really bummed. We knew we should have Never summers I have never been able to crack the sidewall on one of those and they have never delammed for no reason like that. Dan sent his board back to Prior and they were great about paying for shipping and they repressed the board for free and said it should be stronger than before (shure as hell better be). But still, Dan and I are left with the distrust and uncertainty in the durability of our boards. Well to make a long story just as long we got two khybers for sale and are ordering brand new NS splits from bentley. Prior did a great job with their waranty and service but unlike Canada, here in the "Rocky" mountains we need a little better durability. Sorry if this ruffels a few feathers since they are a sponsor of this website but it had to be said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:11 am 

I have rode with quite few guys on priors. They don't seem to be having any problems with their boards. Then again, I haven't had any problems with the Voile's either. I think it's more likely he hit that rock harder than you think. As far as performance wise, the Kyhber is a bit more of a powder shape, so I am *not* surprised by your findings there.
Neversummer's with the ptex side walls are pretty tough, but you can still blow them out. I have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:12 am 

I don't know, I wouldn't say that "shattering the ABS sidewall" sounds like "barely hitting a rock." :lol:

Good to hear that they were nice about warranteeing the equipment though.

"Light, strong, cheap. Pick two." - Bontrager. ...or one, if it's a splitboard. :?

de prisa de prisa rumbo perdido

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:18 am 

I think most people here bought the khyber b/c of the shape. I could be wrong. As far as east coast riding, the taper seals the deal- no other option for me. Never summers do rock (no pun intended), I can't deny that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:36 pm 

Sorry to hear about your board man. That is cool that Prior was willing to help.

I've had my prior for 3-4 seasons now. I've not had any problems, and I love the way it rides in all of Colorado's conditions. But, I've heard nothing but good things about NS.

My wife got me a new splitboard of my choice for xmas. I've been back and forth between prior and NS. I've decided to go with Prior because I'm quite satisfied with the board I have now. Of course, now that I've said this I'll probably have "issues" with my board next time out.

Oh, got a TR on SFB? I've always wanted to hit that line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:59 pm 

I love NS boards, but have cracked the edge twice this season now. I think they are bomber boards, but given enough abuse, everything breaks. As much as I love these boards, I'm going to have to go to something cheaper becuase it's too expensive to buy a new $500+ board every season.

Post subject: pm sent to shredgnar
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:56 pm 

shredgnar,

check your personal messages.

- sheik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:50 am 

Bareley hitting a rock has broken many abs sidewalls in my day. I have slammed the crap out of rocks on ptex sidewalls and never cracked the sidewall. I have a optior in my garage right now where the abs i cracked in three places. I have broken edges many times, which are pretty easy to repair with p-tex walls, not so easy with abs and all but imposible with caps.. I think if I pay around a grand for a split I want something that will be pretty bomber. Especialy in the backcountry where you will encounter rocks inevitably. This board had maybe 20 days on it before it started to come apart in multiple places. I have never had a non-split board fall apart that fast and I have never had a NS fall apart like that at all. Ever.