Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Field Test: unsuspecting toe lever
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:13 pm 

(ps. this is posted mainly for anecdotal entertainment--I still strongly believe that the equipment victimized below is the best available, for what I do. The manufacturer has already offered to warrantee the part, despite the obvious user error.)

I've been trying to break my splitboard for a couple of years now. No limit to my violent ingenuity exists to protect my unsuspecting steed, yet time after time I mount the wild beast, and it is always me who comes out battered and bruised. Meanwhile the splitboard leans against the wall, mockingly intact.

However yesterday, in a fit of rage and idiocy, I attempted to close my severely overtightened plate binding for the last time. As the hitherto indestructible toe lever snapped off into my desperate fingers, shock and surprise overshadowed my glory.

Finally, the force of my own sinews had surmounted the invulnerable. I had mere seconds to bask in my revelation before it occured to me that now I was f****d!

Fortunately, a nearby telemark skier happened to be carrying a spare G3 heelpiece, which to only mild surprise, worked beautifully. Thanks dude!

A note of wisdom--if it takes two hands and a dead lift to close one's binding, then your binding is too tight. :roll:

de prisa de prisa rumbo perdido

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:21 pm 

Hey, man, it's time for some of those indestructable Bomber splitboard bindings! Real aluminum toe levers! 6mm bails! PM me if you want my Voile bindings, w/o the slider tracks,of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:03 pm 

How much heavier are the Bomber bindings? Do the canting inserts install between the track and binding?

If you don't see yourself using your Mtn Plate parts in the future, I'm definitely interested...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:54 pm 

i always knew those toe pieces were the weak link in the system.

i wonder if voile would be interested in selling them seperately as a replacement part. carrying a spare along with a slider pin would be a good idea - you'd be f***ed without one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:31 am 

(Thread edited to exonerate the manufacturer!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:11 am 

Another addition to the splitboard hall of horrors...

I broke it um... skinning. Sort of. After noticing the fracture, I skinned another 1000 vertical in steep woods, and boarded out 4 or 5 miles of frozen road, fingers securely crossed...

Quoth DJ: "looks like you've put a lot of miles on those things..."

I'll take that as a complement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:42 am 

Voile will sell you those separately. Just ask. Good part to have in your repair kit. Ecellent reason to carry a couple of the Voile straps, the plastic slightly stretchy things - I used 2 of those earlier this year to replace the function of a broken heel lever on a friend's tele cable binding. Heel throw broke first run, straps worked fine all day.
I've also learned to be a little more carefull about cleaning snow off my boots when my plates are set fairly tight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:54 am 

Yeah thanks for the lecture paulster I think I have that part figured out, sorry for the confusion. :lol: I have replaced both parts.

The purpose of this thread is to show pictures of broken gear. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:04 am 

hey huevon,

bummer! equipment breakage is always an adventure, eh? i had a similar adventure this weekend...snapped the heelthrow on my tele bindings in exactly the same spot.

thanks to the wonders of duct tape, however, i got down, and back up, and back down, and back up...all by wrapping the crap out of those two pieces...i basically taped them together around the cable again.

anyway...whoever invented duct tape should win the nobel peace prize. wrap some around your poles...or throw it in your pack.