Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Khyber Splitboard as compared to a Malolo
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:00 pm 

I bought a Malolo 158 this year to ride at the resort, but also thought it would be a good proxy for a 160 Khyber split. I need to add a quicker lighter split, and figured the Malolo was a cheaper way to test this thing out. The specs are really close on the two.

Anyone have any thoughts here? Perhaps someone has ridden both and already has a comparison?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:23 am 

I'd love to hear the same thoughts....

Trying to decide between splitting a used 56 fish and a new 59 malolo to replace a 59 split decision.

How long will a self split board w/o edges last? Is it dumb to split a new board? I think a split malolo would make a good all round splitter

Any special thoughts on splitting a fish? Will the skins from my split decision work?

vtrider

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:30 am 

vtrider, what is leading you to replace the 59 split decision? Just curious as I just got the 66.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:36 am 

vtrider wrote:
I'd love to hear the same thoughts....

Trying to decide between splitting a used 56 fish and a new 59 malolo to replace a 59 split decision.

How long will a self split board w/o edges last? Is it dumb to split a new board? I think a split malolo would make a good all round splitter

Any special thoughts on splitting a fish? Will the skins from my split decision work?

vtrider

I was thinking you leave the Malolo as is with solid board manufacturing....ride it for what it's built for, and buy a prior K (split). Again similar specs, and that is built from factory and engineered to be split. It just seemed like the Malolo was a good way to test whether or not you would like the board....call it a proxy....a demo...whatever.

I'm also considering have Bentley split me a Titan....assuming they still have all the goods

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:48 am 

I ride a Khyber Split 165 and really like it. I don't find myself riding switch much in the back country but have tried a bit at the resort on the Khyber. I haven't really tried to land anything big switch on the Khyber.

I'm thinking about a Malolo for an all around board on my resort days with the kids. How do you like yours?

I figure it will be a great all-purpose ride for Utah powder days where things get tracked out and you end up hitting chop, groomed, powder, trees, jumps (but no rails) all in one day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:53 pm 

I have a 56 fish and love it for the east coast. Floats easily in less powder than any other board I've ridden and is wicked fast in the fall line for quick turns in trees. Lots of woods riders here have them.

For B/C I'm torn between loving the ride of the fish (but packing it on my back -yuck!) and enjoying the skin up on my split decision. For whatever reason - length, performanceof the board itself or the extra weight of the split set up, the voile just isn't close to the fish. (The 59 is small, particularly with the weight of a full pack on my back.) I'm sure the 66 would be better - but after having seen what a fish can do, I'm very intrigued with the idea of a tapered board with a set back stance. My very first thought on riding the fish was what a great splitboard it would make!

I'd love a khyber but the price is annoying.

I have a split kit in the mail and a surgeon for the operation lined up for Monday pm. Only choice now is who goes under the knife?
Choices are:

1. My old 56 fish

2. I have a line on a new 58 malolo - but seems like a shame to split a brand new board....

Would appreciate any consults before surgery begins....

VTrider

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:12 pm 

frozone wrote:
I ride a Khyber Split 165 and really like it. I don't find myself riding switch much in the back country but have tried a bit at the resort on the Khyber. I haven't really tried to land anything big switch on the Khyber.

I'm thinking about a Malolo for an all around board on my resort days with the kids. How do you like yours?

I figure it will be a great all-purpose ride for Utah powder days where things get tracked out and you end up hitting chop, groomed, powder, trees, jumps (but no rails) all in one day.

I like the Malolo all around, but it does have a big soft (and wide) nose that makes chop a little more exciting than the big stiff boards. I do love it in the powder, and don't mind the chatter on the hard pack. Again...I do think you have to be on your game in the chop.

I think the Khyber is a good next split-board.....maybe the real question isn't Khyber or no? but rather 160 or 165!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:45 am 

Sweet Lou

You read my heart! My real decision is the 160 vs 165..... I think for now I'll cheap out, split my fish for $150 and pick up a khyber at the first deal I can find.

I like the way you think,

VT rider

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:17 am 

vtrider-
I have a 158 malolo and would love it to be my split! My split is a DIY dynastar 162 SUP FR. I got it new and had someone do the surgery, I'm very pleased with it. I think if you can only have one split I would make it the malolo sinve it is a bit more versitile. Just a thought.
where in Vt are you? We should all get a Vt split trip some day when we get some precip that isn't rain...
rouge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:47 pm 

A trip sounds good.

I live near Mt Mansfield in Underhill. We recently did a nice tour over the Devils' Dishpan to the Steeple on the Stowe side. Nice riding but lots of skinning.

I'm heading to Montanna and Wyoming for a couple weeks soon. I'm thinking this will cause it to dump here in VT. Hope there's plenty on the ground to do a trip when I get back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:41 am 

in looking at my khyber 160 it really reminds me of the malalo. the wider shovel and sidecut seem similar to malolo but its not as radical as the fish. i don't own a malolo or a fish but i've seen lots of them, as well ridden trees with guys with a fish.

i have seen guys literally dust me in the trees when on the fish. and these are guys i can keep up with normally, say for example if we're both on customs riding trees out at the bench. that fish rips! i hope the khyber is nimble like this! this weekend i should find out :)

i think it (the fish) will make an amazing split btw. i think the malalo is probably a happy medium between say riding a custom vs riding a fish. but touring around mansfield on a fish would a very nice board in the quiver.

i'm heading to jay tomorrow but stowe possibly on sunday. how is the snow off the steeple now? is it still good out there? is hb on? and i was thinking about dropping the tear. i'd love some local beta from you guys (vtrider/rouge)! PM me if you wish... (these aren't *secrets* but i'm protective of them too just like you vt'ers ! :) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:17 pm 

I've got a Malolo 162 that is cut in half and currently awaiting the rest of the split kit treatment. This is going to replace my split Fish 156 HD. The Fish is a cool board, but I found it too squirrely for me at that size. It was a little too quick in the steeps. I think the Malolo ought to be a little more stable with the longer length and slightly less dramatic shape. We'll see...